Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Rio Weightlifting Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Bredni Roque (69kg Mex) in the training hall.

https://instagram.com/p/BIdoZUQjS18/

Hojamuhammet Toychyyev (105+ Turkmenistan) jerking an easy 235 from the rack.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIiVVx3ARU-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Wow ,do you know what he's clean and jerked?that just looked so easy

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Wow ,do you know what he's clean and jerked?that just looked so easy

Best lifts in international competition are 190/238 iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As this is probably the weightlifting thread for the next month. I've a quick question, doesn't warrant it's own thread.
    What would be some reasonable progressive standards in the Olympic lifts. In a similar fashion to BW bench, 2xBW deadlift, etc

I was thinking something like;
    BW clean
    2xBW Total
    BW snatch
    etc

But not sure how to expand it, and fill in interim targets

Mellor wrote: »
    As this is probably the weightlifting thread for the next month. I've a quick question, doesn't warrant it's own thread.
    What would be some reasonable progressive standards in the Olympic lifts. In a similar fashion to BW bench, 2xBW deadlift, etc

I was thinking something like;
    BW clean
    2xBW Total
    BW snatch
    etc

But not sure how to expand it, and fill in interim targets

Mine were triple digit total
    Bodyweight clean and jerk
    Bodyweight snatch
    Triple digit clean and jerk
    Now I'm aiming for 200 total or triple digit snatch whichever comes first

Mine were triple digit total
    Bodyweight clean and jerk
    Bodyweight snatch
    Triple digit clean and jerk
    Now I'm aiming for 200 total or triple digit snatch whichever comes first

Doesn't the 200 total have to come first? Assuming clean>snatch

Adding that list to my list gives:
    100kg Total
    BW Clean + Jerk
    2xBW Total
    BW Snatch
    100kg Clean + Jerk
    200kg Total
    100kg Snatch

Final entry verification meeting will take place on Thursday so we should have a final start list on Friday morning. Lifting starts on Saturday with the 48kg women. Excited to see how Hiromi Miyaki does. I remember watching her back in 2012 at London when I was first getting into the sport. She got silver then. She might have a shot at gold this year as the Chinese 48kg lifter has been replaced by Meng Suping in the +75kg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Keep posting training hall updates pleas.e I'm enjoying that al ot.

Hanley wrote: »
    Keep posting training hall updates pleas.e I'm enjoying that al ot.

Will do. I imagine the training hall will get a bit busier over the next few days so there be more stuff popping up on instagram. It's a shame the IOC are so protective and picky about media accreditation because it means you don't get the same volume of content as you would from say Worlds or Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DylanJM wrote: »
    Will do. I imagine the training hall will get a bit busier over the next few days so there be more stuff popping up on instagram. It's a shame the IOC are so protective and picky about media accreditation because it means you don't get the same volume of content as you would from say Worlds or Euros.

Usually the ATG IG account is good for training hall footage but very little as of yet and I wondered why.

Eko Yuli Irawan (62kg Indonesia) with a 181kg C&J. 2kg under the current WR.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIlOxvzDXeY/

Usually the ATG IG account is good for training hall footage but very little as of yet and I wondered why.

I'm pretty sure it came up that he doesn't have the funds to go this time.

Eko Yuli Irawan (62kg Indonesia) with a 181kg C&J. 2kg under the current WR.
    ]

Is the secret to more power wearing more watches?

• Advertisement

One silver lining from Russia being banned is that it opens the door for Tom Goegebaur (56kg Belgium) to compete at his third Olympics at the age of 41!!! He has competed at 12 world championships and 18 European championships (one of which he won in 2009).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BInm8v9hjyg/

Just some options for watching coverage.

Just downloaded the RTE Olympic app on the ipad. Looks like it'll be possible access all the live broadcasts of all the sports on it. Seems a bit buggy so far but hopefully it'll be better once things kick off. I think it will be possible to access the broadcasts on the RTE website as well.

Also worth a look will the BBC coverage via the red button if you have a sky box. They have 8 extra channels that will show coverage of the Olympics and I would say it's likely they will show a good portion of the weightlifting that way (may even have commentary for the A sessions). I'm pretty sure they will have all broadcasts on their website as well but you will need a vpn to access those as they are geoblocked.

Lastly, if you check out allthingsgym.com just before each session there will be links to live streams of the session. However the quality may not be great.

Women's 48kg A session just over an hour away. Set to start at 23:05 Irish time. Excited!!!

Live on BBC red button now if you have a satellite box.

RTE also has feeds of all events.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

• Advertisement

Hiromi Miyake (48kg Japan) pulling out all the stops to remain in the competition with this 81kg snatch on her third attempt after missing it twice.

hiromi-save-atg.jpg

Videos here of her lifts here:https://www.facebook.com/AllThingsGym/videos/1029511097162625/

Women's 53kg A session is live now.

Should be able to get access to the broadcast here:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

Edit: on bbc red button now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Seems very unfair that athletes don't get equal rest periods between lifts some harsh treatment of athletes in my opinion!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Seems very unfair that athletes don't get equal rest periods between lifts some harsh treatment of athletes in my opinion!

Yes, hopefully that rule will be amended in the near future. It doesn't happen that often but when it does it can be pretty harsh.

Yes, hopefully that rule will be amended in the near future. It doesn't happen that often but when it does it can be pretty harsh.

But that's just how it works...like what about the people who open higher than everyone else finishes. How exactly would they go about changing it?

But that's just how it works...like what about the people who open higher than everyone else finishes. How exactly would they go about changing it?

I'm talking about this secnario. Lifter A misses say 125kg and lifter B is also set to come out at 125, lifter B gets called but decides to increase their weight which shifts focus back to lifter A however lifter A will only get a 1 minute clock rather than the 2 minute clock that they usually get when following themselves on a missed lift. I think it would be better to give everyone a 2 min clock any time they have to follow themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I agree there - a minute in these situations can make all the difference - at the sharp end - in turns into a game of chess - mind games a plenty! :D

Lads loosely on this - the bbc red button - mine seems awol! :(

I'll be trying to rectify as its hard to beat the beeb for coverage. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Time does the lifting start tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hiromi Miyake (48kg Japan) pulling out all the stops to remain in the competition with this 81kg snatch on her third attempt after missing it twice.

Videos here of her lifts here:https://www.facebook.com/AllThingsGym/videos/1029511097162625/

I didn't think that leg position was even possible.

Time does the lifting start tonight?

Should start in the next few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I agree there - a minute in these situations can make all the difference - at the sharp end - in turns into a game of chess - mind games a plenty! :D

Lads loosely on this - the bbc red button - mine seems awol! :(

I'll be trying to rectify as its hard to beat the beeb for coverage. :)

No red button for Irish viewers on SKY this Olympics due to licensing crap!!!
    You can manual install bbc Olympic channels on sky other channels works a treat:
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf

http://www.allthingsgym.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/hiromi-save-atg.jpg

Serious question, is it a missed lift if her ass touched the ground?
    I didn't think that leg position was even possible.

It's not...:D

Mellor wrote: »
    Serious question, is it a missed lift if her ass touched the ground?

Yes there is a rule that says if you touch the platform with anything other than your feet it should be a no lift. Can be hard to judge a butt touch in real time though because it usually happens so quickly.

Yes there is a rule that says if you touch the platform with anything other than your feet it should be a no lift. Can be hard to judge a butt touch in real time though because it usually happens so quickly.

You'd also have to be a bit of a prick to DQ somebody on a third attempt for having epic mobility

Well that was an amazing competition!

That was one amazing battle for gold!! Loved every minute of it, I had a feeling after that 137 Snatch that Long had a chance of beating Om ,I wouldn't think anyone expected him to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The 170 was an incredible lift!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Marshall island coach looks creepy

58 A session will begin in ~5 mins.

BBC coverage won't start until 8 o'clock it looks like but you can watch online here:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

• Advertisement

Gold for Figueroa in the 62kg class. Crowd was fantastic in this session. Great scenes at the end.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BI3d6lSDtNQ/

Gold for Figueroa in the 62kg class. Crowd was fantastic in this session. Great scenes at the end.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BI3d6lSDtNQ/

I missed this session,what happened to Chen Lijun?

Is Illya Illin competing or did I miss something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Is Illya Illin competing or did I miss something?

You missed him being banned after his tests from 2012 were retested.

I missed this session,what happened to Chen Lijun?

Had a calf problem. Tried to snatch 143 twice but couldn't pull properly. Withdrew after his second attempt.

You missed him being banned after his tests from 2012 were retested.

:rolleyes::eek::D Easy thing to miss... LoL

• Advertisement

Had a calf problem. Tried to snatch 143 twice but couldn't pull properly. Withdrew after his second attempt.

Just watched it there on the rte player.hadnt realised you can watch events that are already finished until someone pointed it out today.
    That was an amazing group. Poor guy though ,couldn't even pull the bar off the ground on the second attempt

63Kg A session on BBC Olympic channel 8 now.

Two new world records in the 63kg class. 147 C&J and 262 total.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI5pAenjfdZ/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

69kg mens are on now. Ismayilov in the lead with an incredible snatch save at 163kg. Can't wait for him and Shi to battle it out in the C+J now.

69kg mens are on now. Ismayilov in the lead with an incredible snatch save at 163kg. Can't wait for him and Shi to battle it out in the C+J now.

Don't think Ismaylov's c&j will be good enough to hang with Zhiyong. I think he'll likely be battling the dprk lifter for silver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement