Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Rio Weightlifting Discussion Thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

It would seem that a Salimi fan has hacked the IWF website.

http://imgur.com/a/d2hoG

This is ridiculous carry on altogether. The two most recent posts on the IWF instagram page have also been comment spamed by disgruntled fans. Over 250,000 comments on both posts.

https://www.instagram.com/iwfnet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

DylanJM wrote: »

This is ridiculous carry on altogether. The two most recent posts on the IWF instagram page have also been comment spamed by disgruntled fans. Over 250,000 comments on both posts.

Wow what happened? did he just bomb out or is there more to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

BBC have a story about it.
    Looks like the Iranians were pretty upset about the whole thing.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/37104476

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Whatever the Iranian problem is was bad form to disrupt the other lifters. The Armenian lifter seemed put off by the heckling.

The Georgian really wound them up after his winning lift.

• Advertisement

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Wow what happened? did he just bomb out or is there more to it?

Pressed out his first jerk, three reds. Pressed out his second but the refs gave it to him. Jury overturned it, which was the right call. Misses the clean on his third attempt and bombs out. Iranian fans spend the rest of the session whistling and shouting during the remaining lifts.

I can understand Salimi's frustration with the officials tbh. Refs made a mistake in giving him the second lift. Tough situation and he got a bit caught up in the moment and went out to the jury with his coaches but he clapped and congratulated Lasha on his last attempt.

https://instagram.com/p/BJMaMxGBtpM/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/37122892

Aaand we're off with our first positive of the Olympics as 69kg lifter Izzat Artykov tests positive for a stimulant. Interestingly the stimulant, strychnine, was more popularly used in the late 19th/early 20th century and has some nasty side effects which can be fatal.

Quite an odd choice of drugs by the Kyrgyzstan team, but he was probably on a bunch of other stuff anyway.

To lose your medal before the Olympics is even finished is just taking the piss imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Strychnine? Ffs. Talk about antiquated.

That's what Jack the Ripper used to take before he went for a snatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wasn't strychnine the original PED in like 1908 era olympics. Coaches dished out brandy and an injection mid-race. I think it's also what we'd have called rat-poison growing up.

Edit, was the 1904 olympics. The actual events of the race reads like something out of a carry on movie.

The first to arrive at the finish line was American runner Fred Lorz, who had actually dropped out of the race after nine miles and hitched a ride back to the stadium in a car, waving at spectators and runners alike during the ride. When the car broke down at the 19th mile, Lorz re-entered the race and jogged across the finish line. Hailed as the winner, he had his photograph taken with Alice Roosevelt, daughter of then-U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt, and was about to be awarded the gold medal when his subterfuge was revealed. Lorz immediately admitted what he'd done and said he had only been joking; the AAU responded by banning him from competition for life (although they reconsidered and lifted the ban a year later).

British-born Thomas Hicks of the United States ended up the winner of the event, although he was aided by measures that would not have been permitted in later years. Ten miles from the finish Hicks led the race by a mile and a half, but he had to be restrained from stopping and lying down by his trainers. From then until the end of the race, Hicks received several doses of strychnine sulfate (a common rat poison, which stimulates the nervous system in small doses) mixed with brandy. He was supported by his trainers when he crossed the finish, but was still considered the winner. Hicks had to be carried off the track, and might have died in the stadium had he not been treated by several doctors.

Another near-fatality during the event was William Garcia of San Francisco. He was found lying in the road along the marathon course with severe internal injuries caused by breathing the clouds of dust kicked up by the race officials' cars.

A Cuban postman named Andarín Carvajal joined the marathon, arriving at the last minute. After losing all of his money in New Orleans, Louisiana, he hitchhiked to St. Louis and had to run in street clothes for the event that he cut around the legs to make them look like shorts. Not having eaten in 40 hours, he stopped off in an orchard en route to have a snack on some apples, which turned out to be rotten. The rotten apples caused him to have strong stomach cramps. Despite falling ill from the apples he finished in fourth place.

The marathon included the first two black Africans to compete in the Olympics: two Tswana tribesmen named Len Tau (real name: Len Taunyane) and Yamasani (real name: Jan Mashiani). They were not in St. Louis to compete in the Olympics, however; they were actually part of the sideshow.[citation needed] They had been brought over by the exposition as part of the Boer War exhibit (both were really students from Orange Free State in South Africa, but this fact was not made known to the public). Len Tau finished ninth and Yamasani came in twelfth. This was a disappointment, as many observers were sure Len Tau could have done better if he had not been chased nearly a mile off course by aggressive dogs.

Arriving without correct documents, Frenchman Albert Corey was not included as part of the French team. He is inconsistently listed as performing in a mixed team in the four mile team race and performing for the US in the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

^^ This has to be the single thing Ive ever read. Is that actually real?it seems so ridiculous that its hard to believe

Apparently Artykov is now blaming Bernardin Matam (French 69kg lifter) for spiking his food and drinks with strychnine in order to win.

This story looks like it's gonna start a ****storm.

Apparently Artykov is now blaming Bernardin Matam (French 69kg lifter) for spiking his food and drinks with strychnine in order to win.

This story looks like it's gonna start a ****storm.

Sounds like complete rubbish to me. I doubt anyone will take that accusation seriously.

Sounds like complete rubbish to me. I doubt anyone will take that accusation seriously.

It's unbelievable. To suggest that Matam would risk killing a competitor and/or end up in jail just so he could get 5th place at the olympics is nuts.

I know I've talked before about how I refuse to blame the athletes but Artykov crossed the line here imo. Even though strychnine was probably a masking agent, he and the Kyrgyz team are idiots for getting caught so easily, and then trying to blame another competitor for spiking his food.

It's unbelievable. To suggest that Matam would risk killing a competitor and/or end up in jail just so he could get 5th place at the olympics is nuts.

I know I've talked before about how I refuse to blame the athletes but Artykov crossed the line here imo. Even though strychnine was probably a masking agent, he and the Kyrgyz team are idiots for getting caught so easily, and then trying to blame another competitor for spiking his food.
    I'd doubt it was anywhere near s lethal dose, no matter what the source was.
    Why do you think it could be a masking agent? Does it have that ability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Have the Iranian team calmed down yet?

wintear wrote: »
    Have the Iranian team calmed down yet?

They lodged a complaint to the CAS last I heard. They'll get nowhere anyway; even if it was a bs call which it certainly wasn't, they haven't a hope of getting Salimi anything.

Advertisement