Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable/legal time for repair of faulty item under warranty?

Options
  • 25-07-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a mobile phone from one of the mobile phone providers last year.
    It broke down, so I gave it back to the under warranty.
    They said it will be repaired and it takes normally 1 to 2 weeks.
    I didn't request replacement phone for time of repair, as I'm with different network provider now, so locked phone wouldn't be any good to me.

Now - it's been over 2 weeks, and there's still no sign of my phone. I asked them, and they said it might be another while, as they are waiting for parts.

Are there any maximum waiting times in such case prescibed by consumer laws/ etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Did they say they would get back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Did they say they would get back to you?

Well, they are in touch with me.
    I was there yesterday to ask. And I keep receiving texts from them with updates (which pretty much for the last 2 weeks were the same saying that parts are on order and awaiting delivery).

I just wanted to know if they have any legal time limit to have my device fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

If they need to get parts they need to get parts. Unless you want them to hand it back unfixed give them a chance. I wouldn't think 2-3 weeks is a crazy amount of time.

No there's no legal limit, I think it's classed as a "reasonable amount" of time which is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I once bought an LCD TV from well known chain retailer. Got some hot pixels, so returned it to be repaired under warranty.

After 2 months of being "in touch and ordered parts awaiting delivery" pushed them a bit harder and got a refund.

If they need to get parts they need to get parts. Unless you want them to hand it back unfixed give them a chance. I wouldn't think 2-3 weeks is a crazy amount of time.

No there's no legal limit, I think it's classed as a "reasonable amount" of time which is open to interpretation.

And what are the usual interpretations of that "reasonable amount of time" ?
    I find it strange that it takes that long.
    I was informed that it normally takes 1 to 2 week.
    Now it's been over 3, and when I check status of repair online it says "estimated time of parts delivery - 11th August". So if that's actually true, accounting for another few days for repair and returning to shop, it will most likely be about 6 weeks waiting time for me..

Is there anything I can do?

Would going to small claims court be of any help?

• Advertisement

Bumping up the thread.
    It's been full 28 days now (4 weeks) and they still don't have my phone.

Anyone could give me any advice where and how can I push it any further, to get a replacement phone or refund?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Not being smart but have you tried the consumer helpline? I'd have thought that being 4 weeks without your phone would not be considered "reasonable" but they might be able to clarify. I've had to have numerous phones repaired over the years and I've never been waiting longer than a fortnight. Even that was a bit much, I thought.

What sort of phone is it that they're waiting weeks and weeks on parts?

Toots wrote: »
    Not being smart but have you tried the consumer helpline? I'd have thought that being 4 weeks without your phone would not be considered "reasonable" but they might be able to clarify. I've had to have numerous phones repaired over the years and I've never been waiting longer than a fortnight. Even that was a bit much, I thought.

What sort of phone is it that they're waiting weeks and weeks on parts?

Vodafone smart Ultra 6

No I haven't tried consumer helpline... Thanks for advice. I'll try it now.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Good luck! Any time I've used them they've been very helpful. With any luck, they might be able to point you in the direction of a part of their website that gives timelines etc. If they do, you can quote this in correspondence with Vodafone, it might hurry them along a bit. Also, have you tried their Talk To forum on here? Sometimes when things like that are in the public eye, they tend to get resolved a tad faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭ofcork

I had a htc m7 with o2 which broke sent it back and was waiting over 3 weeks to be told waiting on parts,got a phone call a few days after to offer me an m8 as the parts still hadnt come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That why I stick with Samsung.
    Dropped in a 18mth old dead phone still under warranty direct to the Samsung store. Had it back in less than a week.
    The girl in the service provider store where I bought it said it could take a couple of weeks before they would know if it could be repaired under warranty.
    I know its a bit late for some, but in future try to deal directly with the manufacturer if you can.

But to answer your question Cinio, I think 4 weeks is way out of line and has now reached an unreasonable amount of time. I would be demanding a new or replacement phone or a full refund

I consulted consumer helpline as adviced by Toots.
    They advised to write a letter of complaint (which template is available on their website).
    If this doesn't resolve an issue, then go to small claims court.

I also got in touch with vodafone customer service representative over online chat, and he confirmed that once repair time exceeds 28 days, I'm due to get replacement phone or refund.

I paid them a visit in vodafone store I originally purchased phone and returned it under warranty, but again the same thing - phone will be ready for you tomorrow.
    I explained that I was being told that over last 2 weeks nearly everyday (over the phone when I called them to ask bout my phone), and it's no good to me.
    And that I'm expecting replacement or refund now.
    He called the manager, but manager refused to give replacement or refund on the spot.
    Guy I was talking to, explained that they would need to obtain replacement from Vodafone (as they are only private business with vodafone Frenchise), and that it would be few days. Same for refund, that they would need to get funds from Vodafone to be able to refund me.
    I tried to explain, that I don't care where they get the replacement or where they get funds for refund, but I just want to get it from them, as it's from them I bought the phone.

No joy anyway - So i handed in letter of complaint, with request to reply within 2 working days.

If nothing is sorted by Wednesday, I think I'll have to start small claims court procedure.

I paid them a visit in Vodafone store in question, explained that it's been

Advertisement