Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Races 2016 are on!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

biko wrote: »
    Today marks the start of the Races
    First Race: 5.15pm
    Last Race: 8.20pm

www.galwayraces.com/events/admission-ticket-monday-25th-july-2016

Note that 1) traffic will worse than usual, and 2) all city pubs will be jammers.

Great week for the city, hopefully the weather holds up...

I think the hotels will take a lot of the crowds, Radisson, Clayton etc, did last year, especially ladies day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Excellent .. our annual whinge about the races thread :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I will be doing my annual best to ignore everything about it.

Excellent .. our annual whinge about the races thread :-)

Well I'm looking forward to it - will be going to the track Thursday and Friday. If you can't beat 'em, go online and whinge about them join 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Bus services:
    Special Bus Éireann Races services will operate every 15 minutes from Eyre Square to the Racecourse from 3pm (as required) on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. On Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, the service will be from 11am (as required). Tickets are €6/€3 for adults and children one-way and €9/€5 return.

Routes 403 and 409 will terminate at Briarhill junction between 9pm and 5pm Monday and Tuesday; 12.30pm to 4pm on Wednesday; 11.30am and 3.30pm on Thursday and 4pm to 6pm on Friday.

Typo or are buses absent from Parkmore from 5pm onwards today?

timmyntc wrote: »

That seems to be the case due to...
    Also, there is no access to the Monivea Road eastbound by the lights at the Briarhill junction (Western Motors) during road closure times (Monday and Tuesday 4pm to 6pm; Wednesday 12.30pm to 4pm; Thursday 11.30am to 3.30pm and Friday 3.30pm to 5.30pm).

Traffic for Monivea and the Airport will be directed onto the M6 and can exit at Exit 19 (Glenascaul) and proceed to Carnmore Cross.

Seems unusual to have a diversion using a motorway. Bit awkward for L plate drivers...

Typo. Should say 3-5pm. Same applied tomorrow. Different times later in the week.

Shameless plug for my own write up of every races bus you never heard of: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2016/07/ballybrit-galway-races-shuttle-bus-special-2016-august.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

J o e wrote: »

Seems unusual to have a diversion using a motorway. Bit awkward for L plate drivers...

That section between Briarhill and Glenascaul isn't motorway though, it's DC with a 100km/h limit.

Ah you're right. In that case the diversion is onto the N6, not M6... another typo on the article!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

J o e wrote: »

And cyclists (not wanting to start a war but), my usual commute home takes me eastwards on the Monivea road at the bottom of Parkmore. Maybe the Gardai will be nice and let us cyclists turn left rather than having to deal with a massive detour and cycling along beside a 100k dual carriageway.

And cyclists (not wanting to start a war but), my usual commute home takes me eastwards on the Monivea road at the bottom of Parkmore. Maybe the Gardai will be nice and let us cyclists turn left rather than having to deal with a massive detour and cycling along beside a 100k dual carriageway.

You have to go east at the bottom of Parkmore/Monivea. You can't go west towards briarhill when the diversions are in place. Essentially whats being done (if i'm reading this right) is that the junction at Briarhill/The Clayton is now bidirectional only, only north/south on the dual carriageway. Anyone else trying to get to parkmore has to go north via tuam rd, or south via the m6, approach galway airport from the east, and then enter parkmore from the south entrance.

There's a map on the website that explains things better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

You have to go east at the bottom of Parkmore/Monivea. You can't go west towards briarhill when the diversions are in place. Essentially whats being done (if i'm reading this right) is that the junction at Briarhill/The Clayton is now bidirectional only, only north/south on the dual carriageway. Anyone else trying to get to parkmore has to go north via tuam rd, or south via the m6, approach galway airport from the east, and then enter parkmore from the south entrance.

There's a map on the website that explains things better

Sounds right from the map.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No helicopters?

If you're coming from Parkmore you'll be fine. If coming from city on N6 I'd say you'll be able to turn left. If coming from Briarhill (Dunnes side) you'll probably have to take the underpass to get across the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Used to have no opinion on the races. Then I hated them for a few years. Now I'm back to not caring again.

Drove from town to Doughiska about 6.15 this evening. Quickest I've ever done the trip, virtually no traffic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to like it but then when I lived in the city I would just take my holidays around this time, too crowded.

That said, daytime is often fine but try navigate the centre after 8pm..

950d31e942c7fe0a0e47c496f192dd82.wix_mp_512

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Live in the apartments beside the clayton and everyone is just parking here so it's now half 9 and no parking left for residents, so frustrating!

loriexxx wrote: »
    Live in the apartments beside the clayton and everyone is just parking here so it's now half 9 and no parking left for residents, so frustrating!

Do you have permits? If so I'd just park behind someone with no permit and block them in. Have a lie in tomorrow and take your time moving the car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do you have permits? If so I'd just park behind someone with no permit and block them in. Have a lie in tomorrow and take your time moving the car...

Unfortunately no permits, guess it's going to be a week of not driving anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

snubbleste wrote: »
    No helicopters?

I counted one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was in Neachtains last night and that end seemed quiet by raceweek standards. The Quays was busy but that was it. I didn't see too many f*cked people when we were walking home either. All very civilised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

MadYaker wrote: »
    I was in Neachtains last night and that end seemed quiet by raceweek standards. The Quays was busy but that was it. I didn't see too many f*cked people when we were walking home either. All very civilised.

Its early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

the wet night wont help the pub crawling. Wait till we see what tomorrow and Thursday brings to it.

I avoid it all at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi all,

Few of us going up Saturday morning for the races and coming home Sunday. We're staying in Corrib Village (Student Accomodation) what's the best way to get to ballybrit from there? Would a taxi be mad expensive

Hi all,

Few of us going up Saturday morning for the races and coming home Sunday. We're staying in Corrib Village (Student Accomodation) what's the best way to get to ballybrit from there? Would a taxi be mad expensive

Corrib village do shuttle buses into the city center I think, from there Bus Eireann are running regular buses out to the races for 7 euro(?) return, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Hi all,

A Taxi would be about €15 although it might cost more if traffic is bad.

Corrib village do shuttle buses into the city center I think, from there Bus Eireann are running regular buses out to the races for 7 euro(?) return, I think.

Corrib Village do indeed have a shuttle bus. Drops you to the top of Eyre Square. I think it runs on demand.

Races special buses are E9 return vs Regular buses are 2.10 each way, or 1.60 if you have a leap card. more details here: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2016/07/ballybrit-galway-races-shuttle-bus-special-2016-august.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭weshtawake

Looks like the regular buskers on Shop Street/High Street have been "shunted".
    At least 4 or 5 different groups of young teenagers all playing the same trad tunes there today instead. Orchestrated (forgive the pun!!)??

Advertisement