Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Races 2016 are on!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Need to bring in laws re amps. Could stop the headache re buskers especially this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ArtyC wrote: »
    Need to bring in laws re amps. Could stop the headache re buskers especially this week

Jesus sure you'd need an amp to have a conversation during race week! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Racecourse numbers are down a bit which is disappointing, and bookies etc also way down seems less people about the city also v other years, hotels not yet full . Has the racing week gone a bit flat ?
    Would expect it to be picking up towards 150K racegoers but its gone the other way, maybe they need to weatherproof the venue a bit more for the ordinary joe. Was out there Monday and a good day out, 20 mins drive from westside to races , no traffic issues and everything like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

youngrun wrote: »
    Racecourse numbers are down a bit which is disappointing, and bookies etc also way down seems less people about the city also v other years, hotels not yet full . Has the racing week gone a bit flat ?
    Would expect it to be picking up towards 150K racegoers but its gone the other way, maybe they need to weatherproof the venue a bit more for the ordinary joe. Was out there Monday and a good day out, 20 mins drive from westside to races , no traffic issues and everything like clockwork.

The weather has been mostly sh1t, it always has a negative effect on numbers when it's that way.

The weather has been mostly sh1t, it always has a negative effect on numbers when it's that way.

Yes true in a way same other years also though and plenty of cover etc , I wonder is it just that or are other factors affecting the week like prices, people driving up and down and not staying over, a lot of locals /friends i know avoid races which is a pity its a good day out and a big event for city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Plenty of choppers today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was in the Radisson last night. Seemed a lot quieter than the same night last year. Sure it'll be mobbed tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Can anyone tell me if you have to pay to park at the races? And also if I come out of the tunnel (red) exit after, can I turn right? Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Knew loads that use go every year ladies etc.They either have kids now getting married or alot going abroad this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Was watching amused as lots of dressed up ladies carefully navigated the cobbles on Shop Street in high heels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You know it's summer when it's Ladies Day :)

Goofy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you have to pay to park at the races? And also if I come out of the tunnel (red) exit after, can I turn right? Thanks!

2 euro and no you must go left, but easy get a right at clayton and back to town via ballybrit/ballybane

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Was watching amused as lots of dressed up ladies carefully navigated the cobbles on Shop Street in high heels.

They're called foals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Most quiet ladies' day I've seen in my 9 race weeks:

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Most quiet ladies' day I've seen in my 9 race weeks:

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

Haha that could be hilarious to watch in a few hours :D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Haha that could be hilarious to watch in a few hours :D:D

'tis heating up a bit more now alright!

Went for a drive around town to check out the carnage, tis early but people were behaving and the schtyle was mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd say about half the attendance on the early evenings is local, a lot of whom are put off by bad weather. Was up there on Tuesday, the weather was sh1te, lots of people were just betting on the tote rather than going outside to the bookies so their take was well down.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'd say about half the attendance on the early evenings is local, a lot of whom are put off by bad weather. Was up there on Tuesday, the weather was sh1te, lots of people were just betting on the tote rather than going outside to the bookies so their take was well down.

Yep the weather is the biggest factor, the Friday last year was a washout so tomorrows attendance should tell a tale, one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

....tis early but people were behaving and the schtyle was mighty.

Was going into work this morning at 5.30am. Heading up the hill at Parkmore I met two young lads walking/swaying towards me. They were taking both sides of the footpath, bottle of buckie each and the suits hanging off them, ties long gone and shirt tail ends out. They looked absolutely mangled the two of them.

I was impressed and a little jealous all at once. I was that soldier in my younger years. Married, older, sensible (a little bit more at least) and a mortgage and kids these days..

Mind you the thoughts of the monsterous hangover that is biding its time before ripping their brains out made me smile and softened the jealousy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Lads, I know the general area of where the races are on but can you tell me where the entrance is to the Galway Racecourse?

• Advertisement

There are several entrances, much is covered here http://www.galwayraces.com/general-info/location-travel/

Are you driving or walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

biko wrote: »
    There are several entrances, much is covered here http://www.galwayraces.com/general-info/location-travel/

Are you driving or walking?

Cheers, driving. I'm dropping a friend of my dad's up there.

Plus I'll be coming up from LIMERICK DIRECTION.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lads, I know the general area of where the races are on but can you tell me where the entrance is to the Galway Racecourse?

Just follow the signs. They've got every approach covered.

Yep the weather is the biggest factor, the Friday last year was a washout so tomorrows attendance should tell a tale, one way or the other.

As I expected, attendance was up 5500 on last year, tote almost doubled their take at €1.2million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

As I expected, attendance was up 5500 on last year, tote almost doubled their take at €1.2million.

Got any lotto numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Wokka wokka wokka ðŸˆ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Seems like JP has had enough of the races

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I totally understand JP's issue here. Sounds like a complete nightmare running a service business during Race Week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Seems like JP has had enough of the races

Its worth highlighting such situations, it gives a more balanced perspective of the festival as a whole.

Advertisement