Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

End of my tether!

• 25-07-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm desperate for help.

I have a 7 year old bichon. He has always been a bit different and always had issues from the day I've had him. I've had two other dogs since him, one of whom has passed but both are/were so easy and 'normal' compared to him.

The main problem is his barking which is very loud and high pitched. He's very nervous and any little noise/ movement will set him off. If someone leaves the room, if someone enters the room, if the car stops, if there is food on the counter, if someone gets off the sofa, if we're pottering around and he want's us to sit down. If he sees a cat he goes into absolute hysterical barking. If we're on the beach and he's off the lead he runs around barking like a lunatic.

It's got to the stage that it's causing tension between my OH and myself. He loves him but gets very frustrated.

For exercise he usually gets a couple of short walks and one long walk during the day. He is better behaved when he's exhausted but we can't be climbing mountains every day! I've tried doggy day care but I know he doesn't like it, there are too may dogs and he's too nervous for it.

The past few weeks we've been closing the door of the room when he starts and not letting him back in till he stops. He now knows to stop and stand at the door but will bark for ages before this.

On the positive side he's very trustworthy around other dogs and people. He's good at learning to do tricks. When I bring him to work he lies in his bed under the desk and sleeps happily. If he's left at home he's fine too, no real separation anxiety. The two of us have been through a lot together and whatever his faults I love him to bits and owe him a lot for being there during the tough times.

I wish I could help him as I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with his nervousness but I really don't know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I have no idea how to do it, but I've seen a video or where you train the dog to bark on command and then train them to stop on command. If he is trainable-would that be worth lookking into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Bichon's tend to be an anxious breed from my experience, the likes of separation anxiety seems to be a common occurrence.

Couple of ideas!

Physical exercise is one thing, but are you exercising his brain in any way? Scent games? Basic obedience? Doing these things can tire a dog out. Do you put his food down in a bowl? Stop doing that! Use a Kong Wobbler, a regular Kong, food puzzles, that sort of thing.

A dog walker? Maybe you can find someone who DOES hike on a regular basis? Where are you based? I have a very good friend who regularly hikes up the mountains purely out of passion and she did/does dog walking on the side.

Could you describe his daily exercise routine in a little more detail? How short are his short walks and how long is his long walk? What times during the day do they usually occur?

Have you previously tried Zylkene or Adaptil or any other products like that in an attempt to encourage calmness?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, just wanted to say that I absolutely get where you are coming from - having a loved pet that also drives you bonkers! When it gets to the stage that they are causing stress is the time to do something about it though.

Im sure some of the more scientifically knowlegable boardsies will comment, but maybe you need to get a qualified behaviourist in to help you manage your little pest, and see if something can be done to change his very irritating habit.

Very best of luck to you in resolving this - let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am going to put a plan in place for more exercise and training to see if this will help him. I had tried sprays and special collars and Rescue Remedy with no improvement at all. He is a complicated little fellow. For example when we stay in my apartment he often doesn't want to leave the car and will stay and sleep in it for a couple of hours if he's had a good walk previously. If we stay in my OH's house he will be very unsettled and be running around and barking like mad for the evening. We even put a sofa into the kitchen for him but it doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Contact Emmealine in Canine ireland, she is a dog behaviourist & I found her excellent, when I had some issues with my 3. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement