Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Vuelta a España General thread

Options
  • 25-07-2016 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

So the Tour is barely over and before GT withdrawl symptoms kick in thought I,d get started on the next big race which cant be any more boring then the last 3 weeks. Teams have been announced but no riders yet. Rumours that Froome, Contandor and Quintana will take part and also Nico Roche for a bit of Irish interest. The race is mainly taking part in the Northern parts around Galicia and the Basque country with a few stages on the east coast and the finish in Madrid.
    Running from Saturday August 20th to Sunday September 11th 2016, the Vuelta will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,277.3 kilometres (before ratification).

7 flat stages (2 with high-altitude finales)
    12 hill and mountain stages
    1 individual time trial stage
    1 team time trial stage
    Distinctive aspects of the race

29,4 km individual time trial
    39 km team time trial
    51 summits
    2 rest days

Teams chosen to participate in the 2016 Vuelta a España

Ag2r La Mondiale (FRA)
    Astana Pro Team (KAZ)
    BMC Racing Team
    Cannondale Pro Cycling Team
    Etixx - Quick Step
    FDJ
    IAM Cycling
    Lampre – Merida
    Lotto – Soudal
    Movistar Team
    Orica GreenEDGE
    Team Dimension Data
    Team Giant – Alpecin
    Team Katusha
    Team LottoNL – Jumbo
    Team Sky
    Tinkoff
    Trek – Segafredo
    Caja Rural – Seguros
    Bora – Argon 18
    Cofidis, Solutions Credits

map_route.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Any of the time trials is uphill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Whoo. Looking at the map/route you would think the organizers had an issue with the deep south of Spain. They really are sticking to the Northern regions this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Whoo. Looking at the map/route you would think the organizers had an issue with the deep south of Spain. They really are sticking to the Northern regions this year.

last few years were in the south, was a fair bit in andalucia last year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

omri wrote: »
    Any of the time trials is uphill ?

Nope.

Stage 1 TTT:

profile-01.jpg

Stage 19 ITT:

profile-19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Very excited, I think both Irish lads can go very well here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Very excited, I think both Irish lads can go very well here

Is Martin doing the vuelta?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

happytramp wrote: »
    Is Martin doing the vuelta?

I'd not have thought so. I'd have guessed his priorities for the rest of the season would/should be the Olympics road race and Lombardia, with the other classics or semi-classics like San Sebastian & the Italian ones leading into Lombardia an interest also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'd expect so, considering he hasn't raced much to this point.

Edit: Good points above, forgotten about the Olympics. I hope he does the Vuelta though

Though with Dan's constitution a bit fragile compared to others in 3 week racing, might be considered pushing things him lining up for the Vuelta after his Tour presumably pushed his reserves very deep.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/vuelta-a-espana?ev_oc_grp_ids=52381

Contador third favourite behind the 2 likely lads at 4/1 seems generous. Kruijswijk 22/1 after his Giro could be a but more of a contender than those odds suggest. Nico Roche is 400/1! Any e/w backers?

pelevin wrote: »
    Though with Dan's constitution a bit fragile compared to others in 3 week racing, might be considered pushing things him lining up for the Vuelta after his Tour presumably pushed his reserves very deep.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/vuelta-a-espana?ev_oc_grp_ids=52381

Contador third favourite behind the 2 likely lads at 4/1 seems generous. Kruijswijk 22/1 after his Giro could be a but more of a contender than those odds suggest. Nico Roche is 400/1! Any e/w backers?

I'd take Contador at that... I'd have thought that he's the clear favrouite by a mile.

• Advertisement

What I'd have thought too.

It's strange that it looks like we may never see a 100% Contador go head to head with a 100% Froome in a GT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Orica are putting Chaves and Simon Yates in

Random stat I just read...
    Only two riders have won both the Tour and Vuelta in the same year: Jacques Anquetil in 1963 and Bernard Hinault in 1978. Back then the Vuelta was held in late spring, before the TdF.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

neris wrote: »
    Orica are putting Chaves and Simon Yates in

You'd think Yates will be well up for this due to his ban and seeing his brother do brilliantly at the TdF

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd think Yates will be well up for this due to his ban and seeing his brother do brilliantly at the TdF

he,d a win in some one day race there over the weekend but dont know what the field was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

TVG to lead BMC again!?!

Wtf is with these guys and their faith in him?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-excited-by-prospect-of-racing-vuelta-a-espana-with-van-garderen/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Best Grand Tour of the year always more exciting than the TDF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    TVG to lead BMC again!?!

Wtf is with these guys and their faith in him?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-excited-by-prospect-of-racing-vuelta-a-espana-with-van-garderen/

Not only that but Roche will be riding for him next year...I guess its beause the team target the US market and he is the best US GC man at the mo (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

SwissToni wrote: »

Nealry every race this year was more exciting that the Tour

Regarding TVG, maybe if he is 'shown up' in the Vuelta and performs poorly, his ranking within the team may fall. It could be beneficial for Nico in terms of his chances of leading the team (behind Porte). Not that I wish any rider to have a poor performance!

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Not only that but Roche will be riding for him next year...I guess its beause the team target the US market and he is the best US GC man at the mo (I think)

Yea I get the reason why for marketing but how far can a dead horse be flogged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Yea I get the reason why for marketing but how far can a dead horse be flogged?
    2 words.

Tyler
    Farrar

GetWithIt wrote: »
    2 words.

Tyler
    Farrar

Has a great sprint. Like Heinrich Haussler. For the last 5 years. Still never gets a result oddly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

SwissToni wrote: »

Agreed it's been a fantastic tour the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Roche out due to illness

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Roche out due to illness

where did you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Advertisement