Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Vuelta a España General thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

I wonder would the diagnosis have been the same if he wasn't leaving at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Devastated for Roche, Vuelta was lining up to be his A race this year and unfortunate to get stricken down in Rio. Had to happen someone out there sad it's our Nico

Is Froome in or out for this? Wasn't expecting him to ride but they weren't ruling him out last I saw :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is Froome in or out for this? Wasn't expecting him to ride but they weren't ruling him out last I saw :confused:

He is planning on taking part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He is planning on taking part.

Taking part maybe competing maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Having raced the Olympics as well, I now don't expect Froome to be really up there. Would guess he'd have needed that downtime to be competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Air con is a curse on humanity.
    I've always thought that the damage it does is untold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Very bad luck for Roche Based his season around this race and was going very well Had 2 mechanicals in Rio and finished ok especially with one mechani cal where almost a minute behind peloton. Its esp unfortunate if you look at the parcours and the field No valverde purito pinot quintana Most Sky tired or injured inc Froome Landa Henao Poels not riding Only really Contador Chavez Talansjy TJVG Gesink Mal. Such a missed opportunity for Nico best opportunity in a long time

His last tweet of him arriving in Madrid Airport and he looked grand. All smiles with his saxo mechanic (and some one else)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm remortgagin my house and sticking it on Contador to be honest. Barring a crash, who's going to challenge him?

Teejay? Chavez? A knackered Froome?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm remortgagin my house and sticking it on Contador to be honest. Barring a crash, who's going to challenge him?

If I was to pick from that 3 to challenge Froome I'd go with Chavez. I think Orica have come a long way in 12 months as a GC team

godtabh wrote: »
    His last tweet of him arriving in Madrid Airport and he looked grand. All smiles with his saxo mechanic (and some one else)

Sickness comes on very quickly especially if very thin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hager wrote: »
    I wonder would the diagnosis have been the same if he wasn't leaving at the end of the season.

Note withdrew after speaking to Sky medical staff, not being seen or examined by same.
    A case of severe BMCitis I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Note withdrew after speaking to Sky medical staff, not being seen or examined by same.

Nothing a strict diet of holey cheese and toblerones won't fix.

Its a bloody shame Still prefer he is going to BMC even if no Vuelta is the cost as I think it is indeed

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Sickness comes on very quickly especially if very thin

I wouldnt have thought so if you are blaming the air con in Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

My impression of Brailsford is that he takes the attitude of if you're not 100% with me then you're against me. As soon as he knew that Nico would not be re-signing he cut him adrift.
    Even before he left for Rio Nico said that he didn't know if he would be a riding the Vuelta but looking back with the benefit of hindsight the writing was on the wall as early as his non selection for the Tour.

Hager wrote: »
    My impression of Brailsford is that he takes the attitude of if you're not 100% with me then you're against me. As soon as he knew that Nico would not be re-signing he cut him adrift.
    Even before he left for Rio Nico said that he didn't know if he would be a riding the Vuelta but looking back with the benefit of hindsight the writing was on the wall as early as his non selection for the Tour.

I would agree with that assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

pelevin wrote: »
    Having raced the Olympics as well, I now don't expect Froome to be really up there. Would guess he'd have needed that downtime to be competitive.

Don't understand why Froome would even start the Vuelta if he's not going to be competitive - what's to be gained?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Brian? wrote: »

Miguel Angel Lopez! I got him e/w at 33/1 a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

C3PO wrote: »
    Don't understand why Froome would even start the Vuelta if he's not going to be competitive - what's to be gained?

Base miles for next season ;)

I'd expect he'd be going in hoping to be competitive. I wouldn't be surprised for him though depending on the parcours to ship huge time early on as he's done in some lesser races & then ride as domestique and for stage wins.
    Again though I'd presume he'd go in hoping to genuinely be competitive for GC. I just think fatigue will be too much for him, though I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Movistar have announced their starting line-up:
    Nairo Quintana, Alejandro Valverde, Rory Sutherland, José Joaquín Rojas, José Herrada, Imanol Erviti, Rubén Fernández, Jonathan Castroviejo and Dani Moreno.

Movistar have announced their starting line-up:
    Nairo Quintana, Alejandro Valverde, Rory Sutherland, José Joaquín Rojas, José Herrada, Imanol Erviti, Rubén Fernández, Jonathan Castroviejo and Dani Moreno.

All 3 GTs for Valverde so. 3rd & 6th in Giro & Tour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

As said base miles for next year bu also marking his territory in Sky. making sure the other riders know who is boss and that he can pick and choose what races he wants.

Thats not a criticism of him btw, look at the way Sir Bradley of Wiggins was treated after 2012 and this makes not just sense but seems a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

As said base miles for next year bu also marking his territory in Sky. making sure the other riders know who is boss and that he can pick and choose what races he wants.

Thats not a criticism of him btw, look at the way Sir Bradley of Wiggins was treated after 2012 and this makes not just sense but seems a good idea.

As if that is even remotely being considered as a thought about a dot on the horizon!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    As if that is even remotely being considered as a thought about a dot on the horizon!

Whether its considered or not does not mean its not an option for Froome. To be honest he will not be competitve for 3 weeks so why not give other riders a chance .... Not a good policy IMO be OK if he was up for the win but he will not be ...selfish .. Land a and Konig in particular oh well that is Sky. Happy to see Quintana and Valverde are riding Quintana cud be competitive ..Hope so And Valverde ???? He is tough Parcours suit him but can he be up there I think he can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

froome could be competitive - he wasnt really pushed that hard by anyone in the tdf, so who is to say how knackered he is.

Advertisement