Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Vuelta a España General thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

lennymc wrote: »
    froome could be competitive - he wasnt really pushed that hard by anyone in the tdf, so who is to say how knackered he is.

Its a forum and we are all surmising so know nothing for sure but ride a grand tour then ride London then fly to Rio chances are he will not be and prior evidene would suggest not We can only wait and see but Sky do need to offer something to other riders It could be a case of hubris with Froome We will see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

RobFowl wrote: »
    As said base miles for next year bu also marking his territory in Sky. making sure the other riders know who is boss and that he can pick and choose what races he wants.

Thats not a criticism of him btw, look at the way Sir Bradley of Wiggins was treated after 2012 and this makes not just sense but seems a good idea.

I still find it hard to believe that Froome would bother making the effort if he didn't think that he had a reasonable chance of winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

C3PO wrote: »
    I still find it hard to believe that Froome would bother making the effort if he didn't think that he had a reasonable chance of winning!

I'd also believe he thinks he has a reasonable chance of winning. Earlier in this thread I wasn't writing him off at all but with trying to be right for the Olympics, & obviously riding hard during it too!, my feeling is his body though won't stack up to the demands. That's very little in the way of resting up time in preparation for the Vuelta.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Froome might think he can win but Sky wont be able to control it like the Tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

C3PO wrote: »
    Don't understand why Froome would even start the Vuelta if he's not going to be competitive - what's to be gained?

Something marginal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Any Irish confirmed riders yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

godtabh wrote: »
    where did you see that?

Here ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100655004&postcount=29
    Roche out due to illness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Any Irish confirmed riders yet?

Dont think so. Deignan seems to have fallen off the face of the planet, hasnt raced since the giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

retalivity wrote: »
    Dont think so. Deignan seems to have fallen off the face of the planet, hasnt raced since the giro.

he was having a fight on twitter with one of the French female riders a few weeks back. sky are probably trying to hide him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Whether its considered or not does not mean its not an option for Froome. To be honest he will not be competitve for 3 weeks so why not give other riders a chance .... Not a good policy IMO be OK if he was up for the win but he will not be ...selfish .. Land a and Konig in particular oh well that is Sky. Happy to see Quintana and Valverde are riding Quintana cud be competitive ..Hope so And Valverde ???? He is tough Parcours suit him but can he be up there I think he can

Or maybe he will be a super dom for one of the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What about Sam Dan or Matt?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Or maybe he will be a super dom for one of the others?

Sure ! Exactly why he would go to the Vuelta given he has said he is the leader and wants the dkuble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Sure ! Exactly why he would go to the Vuelta given he has said he is the leader and wants the dkuble

But if, as many think, he won't have the condition to go the distance at the business end of things, then that will be realised fairly quickly and maybe he will change his role and give back to the team?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    But if, as many think, he won't have the condition to go the distance at the business end of things, then that will be realised fairly quickly and maybe he will change his role and give back to the team?

But since 2013 and he became a leader I have not seen him Dom for anyone and by the time it is evident that he is not up to it other Sky riders nay have lost GC placings Why not start as a Dom so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Trek-Segafredo: Fabio Felline, Fumiyuki Beppu, Haimer Zubeldia, Julien Bernard, Kiel Reijen, Laurent Didier, Markel Irizar, Niccolo Bonifazio and Riccardo Zoidl.

Katusha: Egor Silin, Tiago Machado, Rein Taaramae, Pavel Kochetkov, Jhonatan Restrepo, Sven Erik Bystrøm, Sergey Lagutin, Alberto Losada and Matvev Manykin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The Vuelta has thrown up some weird winners over the years, anyone think we will see another Cobbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The Vuelta has thrown up some weird winners over the years, anyone think we will see another Cobbo?

Or Horner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rein taaramae has this one in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I think Sky will look to give protected status to Landa as well as Froome and see how the first week plays out. I just can't see Froome having the condition to win a three week race. Even in the Olympics it looked like his form was starting to slide, which is only to be expected after the Tour he had. He could go top 5, but I just can't see him winning. He's done reasonably in the Vuelta having done the Tour in the past, but has always looked a shade off his best. Landa would have a serious chance of winning the overall if he arrives in his best condition. He's tailor made for the Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Landa has already done one and a half grand tours so not sure about him. I like Chaves and Kruisjwjik, both should be well rested. And Bertie of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Landa has already done one and a half grand tours so not sure about him. I like Chaves and Kruisjwjik, both should be well rested. And Bertie of course

I think its those 3 in the following order
    1. Bertie
    2. Chaves
    3. Kruisjwjik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I'm gonna say
    1)Froome
    2)Landa
    3)Team sky rider

Just to annoy everyone :P

lennymc wrote: »
    I'm gonna say
    1)Froome
    2)Landa
    3)Team sky rider

Just to annoy everyone :P

Sit on the fence why dont you

According to velo news landa is out with a hip injury

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anyone setting up a Velogames league?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Anyone setting up a Velogames league?

Cheers, let us know when you set one up! :p

neris wrote: »
    According to velo news landa is out with a hip injury

That's a big disappointment as I think he would have ended up as Sky's GC man (due to Froome running out of gas early in the race imo).

He has been replaced by David Lopez. Very experienced domestique.

More details here:
    http://www.skysports.com/cycling/news/21684/10541069/mikel-landa-replaced-by-david-lopez-in-vuelta-a-espana-team

Do we want daily threads & previews for the Vuelta? I know the tdf generates more interest and we did them there every day but with summer coming to an end will others be able to do stage previews? I,ll try knock something out or the first two stages on friday and see how we go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cheers, let us know when you set one up! :p

League Name: Boards.ie
    League Code: 731722342010

Advertisement