Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a monitor please

Options
  • 25-07-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭

I want a monitor about 28" to 32" (maybe a TV would suit?) to do the following

act as a PC display for most of the time .... in use all day ..... and to be used to display TV/Video (from HTPC) in the evenings. No gaming involved.

For TV use it must be Full HD - 1920x1080 - as there is no way I can afford a 4K monitor or TV ;)

It must have several input connections, with at least two HDMI sockets and preferably plus a PC VGA/DVi socket.

I would also hope that it would have speakers, even if they are rather crappy.

Price is king here as budget is severely limited!

All help appreciated ;)

EDIT: @MODs maybe this would have been better in PC Building & Upgrading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

27" tends to be the size of monitors at that resolution. You'll actually get a very good monitor for about €150 secondhand - you really want IPS if you'll use it as a TV because TN (cheaper panels) will have poor viewing angles. A monitor would be ideal as TV will tend to be less sharp and if you're gaming, generally only 30Hz refresh which will seem jumpy.

Quick search yielded this on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there much of a difference between these two considering the use it is to be put to? (no gaming)

The Asus 27" you suggested
    http://www.komplett.ie/search.aspx?tn_q=MX279H

iiyama 28"
    http://www.komplett.ie/iiyama-prolite-x2888hs-b1-28/20483139/details.aspx
    As it has a display port I expect a HDMI to DP cable would do what I need - already have one I think.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The Iiyama is a VA panel - it won't have great viewing angles. I've also not had a not great experience of that range of monitors recently.

The Asus is vastly overpriced new.

Given the price difference I think I will go for the IIyama.

Thanks for the suggestion and comments. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Hi - I've just seen this thread, missed your question in the first post, there should be no problem with you cross posting this query on the PC Building forum, some of the folks there may have gone down the path you suggest and may have further input to offer. I'd like to leave this thread here as it contains good advice which others might find useful.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Advertisement

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

Hi - I've just seen this thread, missed your question in the first post, there should be no problem with you cross posting this query on the PC Building forum, some of the folks there may have gone down the path you suggest and may have further input to offer. I'd like to leave this thread here as it contains good advice which others might find useful.

Cheers,

Ritz.

Thank you ....... done

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100473457#post100473457

Advertisement