Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image Projection Art on Public Buildings

Options
  • 25-07-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Does anyone know about projecting images onto public buildings?
    I would like to buy a projector for images, gifs, possible film and moving images for an art instillation. Would anyone know where to source such equipment and what exactly would be needed?
    Also, if you have any advice on security issues of protecting equipment that is designed to attract attention and also be kept on public property, i.e. so it doesn't go missing or end up broken, I would be very grateful.

Cheers
    Happy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Projectors are finicky things. Any affordable projector is probably just passable at doing the job. Under €1000 euro you're looking at a low resolution business projector that are mostly suitable for showing powerpoint presentations. €1000 to €10,000 you're looking at decent quality indoor home cinema projectors, they would still require a dark room and you don't want to run them for more than a few hours. For a commercial grade projector capable of running for prolonged periods and projecting an image in the daylight you're probably looking at tens of thousands.

The other thing to take into account is the running costs of projectors. A typical home cinema projector is going to have around 3000 hours of bulb life. Compared to around 60,000 for a typical LCD display. The bulb on my projector costs €250 to replace and if I use the projector sparingly I can get two years out of the bulb.

Many projectors can be bolted down and have loops for chains and/or locks, even the really cheap ones. But if you're spending a couple of grand it would be worth getting some kind of cage, even if it costs a few hundred it's a fraction of the cost of the projector, so worth it.

Now, it is possible to get cheaper high resolution projectors but you'll be losing out somewhere else like build intensity. No cheap projector would work well in a public setting. They can't over power other light sources, you can see what's happening in the projection but the image quality is really poor.

You may be able to rent a commercial grade projector, but I'd suspect that's going to be at least a few hundred, if not a few thousand to rent.

Projector have fairly limited operating windows unless you spend a lot of money. Even then they burn through reusables like bulbs and filters and those bulbs are going to cost a fortune to replace.

Advertisement