Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual PC on Windows 10

Options
  • 25-07-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hello there,

Anybody know what my options are for running Virtual PC on Windows 10?

Getting the following:
    "Windows Update Standalone Installer
    The certificate for the signer of this message is invalid"

I have virtual PC running on Win 7, but would like it to run on a new Win 10 PC. Any ideas?

I've used VmWare years ago before EMC took them over. Looks like it isn't free now.

Thanks
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

txpjl wrote: »
    Hello there,

Anybody know what my options are for running Virtual PC on Windows 10?

Getting the following:
    "Windows Update Standalone Installer
    The certificate for the signer of this message is invalid"

I have virtual PC running on Win 7, but would like it to run on a new Win 10 PC. Any ideas?

I've used VmWare years ago before EMC took them over. Looks like it isn't free now.

Thanks
    T

VMWare Player is still free.

I prefer VirtualBox myself - also free.

You should be able to convert your VPC to be accessible by either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you're running Windows 10 Pro you can install Hyper-V. There's a migration guide here that might be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Thanks guys.

The Win 10 is a new install on a newly built PC. The other is a laptop running Win 7 but with nothing of any significance installed on virtual PC so no need to convert or migrate anything.

I'll give both a go on Win 10. My son is 12 and I'm hoping to give him his own virtual PC for any games and downloads etc and keep the host computer as clean as possible.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

HyperV is a feature of Windows 10 and can simply be enabled in Add/Remove Programs.

However I don't think it or any virtualised OS would be up to playing games requiring direct access to the GPU. As mentioned above you also need to enable Virtualisation in your PCs BIOS - if available.

Ken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could also look into booting to a VHD as described here, only hard disk is virtualised so gaming etc. should be no issue

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Guys,

I don't think my DVD of Win 7 is bootable. Created a .iso file but both Hyper V and Oracle's Virtual Box cannot load the OS.

Any ideas how I fix this?

I would prefer to load Win 10 but I guess I'm too late for the upgrade deadline.

Thanks
    T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

just use the ISO file instead, no need to burn to dvd for a VM build

Advertisement