Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The White House Pub Closes

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I will certainly never be supporting this new sports bar no matter who the owner is and I really think they made a bad decision alienating a regular customer base, when they're are loads of other bars in Limerick they could have bought.

That loyal customer base wasn't putting enough money behind the bar to keep it going as a viable business. Because of this the owners put it up for sale. It's not Varleys fault that the previous business model failed.
    Also it's already been reported on this thread that it's not going to be a sports bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's a protected interior. He isn't allowed do too much with it, so unless he's happy to break the law, it'll still have its original character.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

A trad bar sounds good.The new owner is a musican and seems to be actually wanting to work the bar some people here seem to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

That loyal customer base wasn't putting enough money behind the bar to keep it going as a viable business. Because of this the owners put it up for sale. It's not Varleys fault that the previous business model failed.
    Also it's already been reported on this thread that it's not going to be a sports bar.

My information may be dated but from what I understood the owners and the person running the bar were two completely different people. The owners were leasing it out. Although that may have been a number of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bored_lad wrote: »
    My information may be dated but from what I understood the owners and the person running the bar were two completely different people. The owners were leasing it out. Although that may have been a number of years ago.

You information is incorrect. I know who owned it and I know that it was taking money form other business' to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

panda100 wrote: »
    They were very welcoming. I always went in by myself as my friends have zero interest in poetry and I always got chatting to people in there.

I think you should do a poem in memory of the White House, An File? I'll start you off, 'There was once a pub called the white house.......'

There was a man named Varley
    A pub he could run , hardly
    The White House he closed
    As everybody knows
    And the poets are acting bizzarrly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Sad to see the Thai Gourmet go. It was a regular spot for me,and for years was the only thai restaurant in limerick. They were located next to the Jesuits church around 20 yrs ago, then overhead Nestors, then under white house. Now we must have 20+ thai places around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Good article here.

I think people might be too quick to assume that the interior will be wrecked. Given that it's protected, this is unlikely. It seems the new owner wants to engage positively with the Council. Reasonable change isn't a bad thing, but we have to be sensitive to our heritage too.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/212258/planning-clarity-sought-by-new-owners-of-limerick-pub.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Nothing lasts forever.

And things the people may think fondly of, but don't actually support with their pocket/feet, certainly don't last forever.

There may be some emotion around this, but it is all natural.

Best of luck to Damien V.

The White House is dead. Long live the White House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Agreed,

Maybe if all the people complaining about it being taken over had spent more time (and money) in there, it wouldn't have had to be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I was very familiar with the old White House pub. It had a character all of it's own and it was one of my favourite pubs to visit when in Limerick

Last week I went in to the newly renovated White House pub, and in my opinion the new owners did a lovely job of renovation.

Advertisement