Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad aircon smell

• 25-07-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

Month ago i have used Halfords air con treatment. Just in case, as my air con had neutral smell beforehand. Big big mistake!
    As instructed, i have activated can and placed behind driver seat with air conditioning on. For next 3-4 days my car have smelled amazing. After a week it started stinking like it had old sock in air vents. So i have gone from no stink to stink using antistink treatment :eek:
    For my number two treatment i have bought foam based aircon cleaner which you "inject" from can to air passages. For extra measures i have replaced cabin filters. It didn't help-air in my car still stinks. Worst is for first 5 seconds, than it dies down and is not very noticeable.

It got me thinking what causes the smell? How to get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Month ago i have used Halfords air con treatment. Just in case, as my air con had neutral smell beforehand. Big big mistake!
    As instructed, i have activated can and placed behind driver seat with air conditioning on. For next 3-4 days my car have smelled amazing. After a week it started stinking like it had old sock in air vents. So i have gone from no stink to stink using antistink treatment :eek:
    For my number two treatment i have bought foam based aircon cleaner which you "inject" from can to air passages. For extra measures i have replaced cabin filters. It didn't help-air in my car still stinks. Worst is for first 5 seconds, than it dies down and is not very noticeable.

It got me thinking what causes the smell? How to get rid of it?

You can get all sorts growing in any moisture trapped in the ducting.

What I do is, with the car fully warm and only me in it, drive with the aircon full heat, full blast, with the passenger windows open for few minutes every so often.

Might sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Mandzhalas

You can get all sorts growing in any moisture trapped in the ducting.

But all those treatments are designed to kill bacteria causing bad smell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    But all those treatments are designed to kill bacteria causing bad smell..

Yeah, true, but I've never used any of them. I just do the above. Obviously make sure you're not breathing it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Mine stinks for the first 10 seconds too. I'm going to try a bomb.

Advertisement