Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time boiling hops (single hop recipe help)

• 25-07-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So my housemates and I are pretty new to the brewing world and after a couple of brews using kits we're gonna attempt a sort of extract brew this time. I've been told to try a single hop cascade recipe as apparently it's a good introduction. I have the following ingredients:

Bulldog Hop Pellets Cascade 100g
    Craft Range Light LME 1.5kg
    Craft Range Light LME 1.2kg
    MasterPint Pale Ale 1.6 Kg * (our bag got pierced in the delivery, sending gloop everywhere - would the remains still be usable since we'd be boiling it anyway?)
    Sachet of yeast

Was planning on following this recipe: Two gallons of water with the two LME packs and maybe the ruptured Masterpint IPA and then 30g of cascade, then 25g 45 minutes later and then 45g at flameout. Apparently I add "45g at flameout for one hour" - do I add the 45g, take it off the boil and leave aside for one hour? Also I have only a 15 litre pot, would the hops amounts I've listed be appropriate? Very new to all this as you can see. Would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That's a lot of malt: my calculations make it somewhere north of 1.070, assuming you're topping up to 20L in the fermenter at the end. The hop schedule looks grand, though it's hard to predict how it'll turn out when you're including a hopped extract in with your own malt and hops. My inclination would be to leave out one of the LME packs, to get something that's a couple of ABV points lower.

You shouldn't need to leave the hops for a whole hour at the end. Just the cooling time will be enough I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd add the masterpint bag near the end of the boil, you only need to sanitize it, and dont want to boil off any hop it already has.
    Plus you'll get a lot more hop take up in a thinner boil liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monzfrey

Cheers lads. We're going to give it a go tonight so hopefully everything works out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monzfrey

So I've had this in the bucket for two weeks now - how long should I keep it in there? There was a small bit of bubbling activity last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Take a gravity reading. if it's low and not any lower tomorrow, its good.

~The bubbling could be from it warming up yesterday with the good weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement