Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - Insurance issue

Options
  • 25-07-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi , hope i can get some advice on here.

We have 2 cars at home
    car A is my car
    car B is my partner's.

we bought these cars in a bit of a rush as we had just returned from a couple of years abroad.
    We have policies with different insurers and are name drivers on each others policies.
    However, soon after buying the cars , we realised that car B was not suitable for me as it was quite expensive on petrol, while my own , car A , was much better for short trips around town .
    so, as we swopped cars . but not formally.
    problem is car B is now on its way out. nearing death . will be scrapped soon. so i have to look for a car for myself, which i did.
    however, i know i can easily transfer insurance from car A to my new car.
    BUT this surely this will obviously wipe off my partner's ability to drive car A as she is a named driver on that policy but not the policyholder?
    i havent yet acted on insurance for my new car. both policies are up within the next month.
    i want my partner to keep driving car A...we feel confident that car will do her for a while longer.
    should i simply get her to sign my log book as the new owner,send it off and
    then she transfers her policy from car B to car A? again, we are named drivers on each others policies, but i am the official insured driver of car A- she is the first official driver of car B.
    what is the best solution for us?
    i need to drive ASAP obviously but car B is on its way to the scrap yard.
    the more i think about it the more CONFUSED I get!!!! maybe there IS a simple solution out there.
    help!!!! hehe:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You don't need to do anything.

When it comes to motor insurance you can be the registered owner of a car and your spouse/partner can have it insured in her own name and she could be the registered owner of another car and you could have it insured in your name.

When it comes to a situation involving a spouse / common law spouse / partner insurable interest exists for both of you so you could both have your partners car insured in your own name.

Its pretty common.

Advertisement