Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red oak flooring.

• 25-07-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I might source red oak flooring,I have to match it into a floor I brought from usa. It's 5 inch wide boards,unfinished ,square edged all round (no bevels) and 3/4 thickness, random lenghts from 2 up to 8 feet.It is also a quartersawn mill.Have tried google etc to no avail. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Red oak is freely available. I think you would have to convince a joiner to machine the timber for you as the chances of getting an exact match are pretty slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Triboro

recipio wrote: »
    Red oak is freely available. I think you would have to convince a joiner to machine the timber for you as the chances of getting an exact match are pretty slim.

Yeah an exact match wouldn't be likely i'd say,especially as it's quartersawn oak, can get 5 in red oak alright but has bevelled edges and is prefinished. Don't mind the prefinihed stuff as it'll all be getting sanded anyway,bevelled edges are cat lookin though. Just have to keep lookin as I dont fancy the custom mill route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Triboro wrote: »
    Yeah an exact match wouldn't be likely i'd say,especially as it's quartersawn oak, can get 5 in red oak alright but has bevelled edges and is prefinished. Don't mind the prefinihed stuff as it'll all be getting sanded anyway,bevelled edges are cat lookin though. Just have to keep lookin as I dont fancy the custom mill route.

Bevelled edges are machined to match in floorboards - you want straight butt joints with tongue and groove ? Machining up new timber is not that difficult - any joiner could do it from a sample but I think you will struggle to have it all quartersawn.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EriktheRed

Any luck with finding the red oak floors? Exactly in the same situation, we have existing red oak floors in the house and want to put some more but we need to match them. So far none of the suppliers can get that. Our floors are plainsawn, 14 cm wide, 18 mm thickness, length 2.4 m. If you did find anything please let us know! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EriktheRed

Update: We found crowd in Newry that can supply red oak we are looking for.
    Haven't proceeded yet as probably will do the trip this weekend just to check it's a right colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Triboro

Just see your original post now.I didn't source any more but have to say I did not do a lot of searching.Seems to be available with bevelled edges in a few places and mostly prefinished so that wasn't suiting me!

Advertisement