Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3 owners

• 25-07-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

any BMW i3 owners here?

I see they start at €34410 and will probably be another €1500 plus for the 94 battery.

Do the extras accumulate usual BMW style? It is already an expensive car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

forumdedum wrote: »
    any BMW i3 owners here?

I see they start at €34410 and will probably be another €1500 plus for the 94 battery.

Do the extras accumulate usual BMW style? It is already an expensive car.

There's a big thread here already with a few owners posting. There's also the 2 big FB groups that are worth joining for other owners.

Extras add up for sure, same as any other model in their range. If I could go back and add one extra it would be the pro nav. Really makes a difference to the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭forumdedum

s.welstead wrote: »
    There's a big thread here already with a few owners posting. There's also the 2 big FB groups that are worth joining for other owners.

Extras add up for sure, same as any other model in their range. If I could go back and add one extra it would be the pro nav. Really makes a difference to the interior.

Thank you. I have read that thread. BMW don't seem to have a configurator for the i3 on their site.

Is the Pro Nav a touch screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Is the Pro Nav a touch screen?

hopefully not. Touchscreens should be banned from cars. The system BMW uses is far superior (IMHO) to any touchscreen based interface.

TBi wrote: »
    hopefully not. Touchscreens should be banned from cars. The system BMW uses is far superior (IMHO) to any touchscreen based interface.

Thanks for that. That's good to know. I have used a touchscreen on a car and quite like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

If you get Pro Nav it also allows you to add many other options such as real time traffic or online entertainment after purchase though the connecteddrive store. Also Aux Heating is an essential for BEV purchasers as the heat pump it adds is several times more energy efficient than the standard resistance heater.
    TBi wrote: »

Tesla's touchscreenn interface is far more usable than my i3s idrive system. Once you learn idrive it's better than a lot of other systems, but definitely not a patch on tesla. And that includes using the system while keeping your eyes on the road. Despite the lack of tactile feedback, Tesla's UI is just so simple it's actually more usable.

Does the I3 now come with battery heater as standard ? essential if you ask me, the Leaf could do with it for fast charging in very cold weather.

Does the I3 now come with battery heater as standard ? essential if you ask me, the Leaf could do with it for fast charging in very cold weather.

I don't know the answer to that but will be asking.

cros13 wrote: »
    If you get Pro Nav it also allows you to add many other options such as real time traffic or online entertainment after purchase though the connecteddrive store. Also Aux Heating is an essential for BEV purchasers as the heat pump it adds is several times more energy efficient than the standard resistance heater.

Tesla's touchscreenn interface is far more usable than my i3s idrive system. Once you learn idrive it's better than a lot of other systems, but definitely not a patch on tesla. And that includes using the system while keeping your eyes on the road. Despite the lack of tactile feedback, Tesla's UI is just so simple it's actually more usable.

Great info, thank you.

I would love a Tesla Model S

Yup, The battery heater pad was part of the cold weather pack rolled into the base price back in early 2015. All i3 packs are also actively cooled.

This year with the new 34kWh battery, DC rapid charging has finally been made part of the base spec too.

• Advertisement

Shame they didn't push it to 40 Kwh.

*cough* my information is that there is a 44kWh pack on the way in the 2nd half of 2017.

Really? that's cool, a larger more normal I3 is what I want. An I3 with a boot. 44 Kwh would be pretty cool but there is supposed to be 60 Kwh in the Leaf for Gen II in 2018 and it will probably cost less than the 44 Kwh I3 too.

I also want a larger Leaf with a less awkward bigger boot ! Grrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Really? that's cool, a larger more normal I3 is what I want. An I3 with a boot. 44 Kwh would be pretty cool but there is supposed to be 60 Kwh in the Leaf for Gen II in 2018 and it will probably cost less than the 44 Kwh I3 too.

I'm surprised they don't make an 'estate' version of either. I'd love one!

Samsung SDI have a 120Ah cell on the way in 2017 in the same format and voltage as the current i3 60Ah and 94Ah cells. The cells are already available in sample quantities.
    A new revision of the NCM chemistry that should be able to handle higher charge/discharge as well. Some speculation that we might see a dual motor i3. Also a small refresh due with an updated front bumper.

The big deal in the next few years from BMW is the 90kWh 3 series.

cros13 wrote: »
    Samsung SDI have a 120Ah cell on the way in 2017 in the same format and voltage as the current i3 60Ah and 94Ah cells. The cells are already available in sample quantities.
    A new revision of the NCM chemistry that should be able to handle higher charge/discharge as well. Some speculation that we might see a dual motor i3. Also a small refresh due with an updated front bumper.

The big deal in the next few years from BMW is the 90kWh 3 series.

So 120 AH would be around 45 Kwh with about what 380 nominal volts ? Maybe 42 Kwh usable.

Does anyone have a link to an online configurator for the i3 please? I can't seem to find one. There is a US one but it is not the same.

I want to see what Neutronic cloth upholstery, Aragats Grey looks like.

Does anyone have a link to an online configurator for the i3 please? I can't seem to find one. There is a US one but it is not the same.

I want to see what Neutronic cloth upholstery, Aragats Grey looks like.

You hardly think the BMW Irish site would be anything other than useless did you ?

Sorry, no, there is no configurator.

You hardly think the BMW Irish site would be anything other than useless did you ?

Sorry, no, there is no configurator.

I do think it is a little unusual not to have a configurator.

Thinking of buying new 94 i3. Can't decided between Protonic Blue and Fluid Black. Any opinions?

Also what exactly is the "Auxiliary cabin heating system"?

I do think it is a little unusual not to have a configurator.

Thinking of buying new 94 i3. Can't decided between Protonic Blue and Fluid Black. Any opinions?

Also what exactly is the "Auxiliary cabin heating system"?

Never mind the configurator, a Price list would be more welcome.

Auxiliary heating is what they call heaters for many diesels that take ages to heat up, it is an electric heater to speed warming up the heater but also reduced efficiency particularly for short trips.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it an auxiliary heating system because in an EV it's the main heater.

There are two types, resistance and heat pump , the heat pump is a lot more efficient, though below 5 deg C efficiency drops and the resistance heater has to work harder to produce heat. Heat pumps work like AC in reverse, In Summer heat is taken from the cabin via the refrigerant and vented outside via the radiator, in winter this radiator collects air and the refrigerant extracts as much heat in the atmosphere as it can to provide heat. Once you're in the -0 deg c temp zone consumption goes up notably.

So the short of it all is definitely get the heat pump if you can, the more efficient the more range and the less it costs you per km.

If it were I then I'd go with the Blue, but I'm not a fan of the two tone colours on the I3, perhaps you can get it all the one colour ? But at least Blue and Black go well together or red and black.

• Advertisement

Never mind the configurator, a Price list would be more welcome.

Auxiliary heating is what they call heaters for many diesels that take ages to heat up, it is an electric heater to speed warming up the heater but also reduced efficiency particularly for short trips.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it an auxiliary heating system because in an EV it's the main heater.

There are two types, resistance and heat pump , the heat pump is a lot more efficient, though below 5 deg C efficiency drops and the resistance heater has to work harder to produce heat. Heat pumps work like AC in reverse, In Summer heat is taken from the cabin via the refrigerant and vented outside via the radiator, in winter this radiator collects air and the refrigerant extracts as much heat in the atmosphere as it can to provide heat. Once you're in the -0 deg c temp zone consumption goes up notably.

So the short of it all is definitely get the heat pump if you can, the more efficient the more range and the less it costs you per km.

If it were I then I'd go with the Blue, but I'm not a fan of the two tone colours on the I3, perhaps you can get it all the one colour ? But at least Blue and Black go well together or red and black.

I've used configurations before that contain price list too.

The Fluid Black is the only i3 colour that's not 2 tone.

Thanks for the information.

The 94 i3 is €35,450 minus metallic, extras, delivery charges etc. That is after the €5,000 x 2 grants.

My current car does 44 miles per gallon, diesel. It costs me 12c per mile. What are my likely savings? I do about 700km per week.

Well, I worked out based on my "average" efficiency of 17.5 Kwh/100 kms , charging at night rate , 8.4 C/Kwh over your 33,500 kms based over 48 work weeks average, not including run-a-bout travel = 282 Euro's but the charger isn't 100% efficient, I don't know how efficient the I3 charger is but the Leaf charger is about 90% efficient so add 10% and that costs 310.00 Euro's.

The I3 is a little bit more efficient than the Leaf though with the heavier battery there won't be much in it at all.

So with 33 Kwh in the I3 and say 30 Kwh usable you should get about 188 kms to empty in the I3, 200 kms with easier driving but you'd want to be near a charge point by about 150-160 kms depending on the familiarity of your trip.

How many Kms do you do on average daily ?

I feel your efficiency will drop when you get addicted to the electric drive. :D

+ you will not escape topping up at times during the day but the other side of that is that you can top up at fast chargers for free.

Range will go up and down depending on Temperature, wind, terrain surface water, driving style, speed, acceleration etc. When you don;t have to worry about range then just enjoy it.

So the cost including the larger battery is 35,450 ?

What kit does that get you ?

Your maths is impressive! I would have to change my ESB over to night rate.

I do 130kms per day. I'd like to be able to charge from home only.

Yes that's the larger battery

The standard options, Multi-func st wheel, folding ext mirrors with anti-dazzle, armrest, extended storage, rain sensor with auto headlight activation, auto air-con, cruise control with brake function, tyre press monitoring, alarm, floor mats, first aid/triangle, cup holder, heated front seat, ac fast charge multi-phase, dc rapid charge prep, increased power supply, dab radio, bmw online services and apps interface, remote services.

delivery is additional €850
    3 years servicing for €400

a sports package for €2,345.54 adds 19" alloys, sun protection glass, LED lights and Harman Kardon Hi-Fi.

Aux cabin heating system €731.26

I take it the Aux cabin heating is the Heat Pump ?

The Sports package sounds good without the 19" wheels, the ride is very hard I believe with the standard set up as it is, I especially wouldn't want sports suspension if it includes that.

I'd just pick the options you want. I love the LED lights in the Leaf, front and rear, haven't replaced a single bulb yet. I had to replace the original sidelights and number plate lights to LED, the dimmest possible , they'll be bright enough. Some people install ultra bright led lights in the number plate and it blinds people.

I'd go with the Cruise with Auto Brake and the Harman kardon Stereo and the Sun Protection glass. You can spend silly money.

Are you going PCP ? what's the monthly and what deposit ?

What other interesting gadgets have they got ?

I take it the Aux cabin heating is the Heat Pump ?

I'm not sure about that
    The Sports package sounds good without the 19" wheels, the ride is very hard I believe with the standard set up as it is, I especially wouldn't want sports suspension if it includes that.

I do not like sports suspension in any car. I will ask about that.
    I'd just pick the options you want. I love the LED lights in the Leaf, front and rear, haven't replaced a single bulb yet. I had to replace the original sidelights and number plate lights to LED, the dimmest possible , they'll be bright enough. Some people install ultra bright led lights in the number plate and it blinds people.

How do you find the Leaf? I didn't get to test drive it.

Bright lights are not pleasant to drive against.
    I'd go with the Cruise with Auto Brake and the Harman kardon Stereo and the Sun Protection glass. You can spend silly money.

I'm hoping the HK Hi-Fi is good quality. I do like listening to music while driving.
    Are you going PCP ? what's the monthly and what deposit ?

I'm not sure. Have never done PCP before. Deposit has to be €1,500 to avail
    What other interesting gadgets have they got ?

Media package with a bigger display and Real time traffic info €1324.54

Enhanced Bluetooth telephone with USB and Voice Control €482.91

I believe leather seats are over €2,5k.

I love the new dark wood dash but suspect that would create a 12 week wait. If i was to wait that long I'd buy a new one January 171. My current car is 2008 so don't change that often.

When you're quoting multiple sentences do like this
    Secentance

[/QUOTE] goes at the end.

Yes these options can get expensive, you can go mad altogether. The Media package sounds good, what's included , apart from the larger display ? Enhanced Bluetooth, ? sounds like Cros13 needs to explain lol.

I like the Leaf, it doesn't pretend to be anything more than an average hatch, I got the top spec that included the heated seats, Heated steering and led Headlights , led tail lights, auto lights/wipers and leather seats, including heated rear seats. Heat Pump and 6.6 Kw charger extra. All for 28,500, the 30 Kwh would cost extra so about 31K. Nice practical creature comforts, the timed heater for winter mornings is especially good, I'd find it difficult to give that up, get into a fully defogged, defrosted car, seat and steering nice and warm, brilliant !

I don't use the auto lights because they turn on a horrid yellow halogen daytime running light so I drive with the LED headlights on all the time, Winter, Summer, I always drove with my lights on anyway in any car.

The interior won't be anything like the BMW and you pay for it, the Leaf carpet for instance isn't carpet, it's made from recycled plastic bottles and it shows.

The interior isn't anything like the latest Gen Nissans but it's not a bad place to sit at all. Gen II will be available hopefully early 2018. The Leaf is very well built. The 30 Kwh is the one to get. Possibly 40 Kwh for January.

The Hyundai Ioniq should be here around October, might be worth waiting for.

The I3 is going to be the most fun, pleasurable EV to drive currently available with the best available but mad expensive gadgets.

So you need to go easy on the gadgets.

Anyway, the 33 Kwh I3 seems like it will suit you perfectly driving normally in all weathers at up to 100-110 and possibly some 120 Kph depending on conditions. If you can charge at work even better. 130 Kph all the way !

I have a 134 Km commute and can charge at work, this is in the 24 Kwh leaf with 21 usable Kwh max.

Right, bed time.

Bear in mind while my average consumption is 17.5 Kwh/100 kms, at 120 kph continuous it could be as high as 19.5 depending on conditions.

In the I3 that should be 153 Kms to empty, again, you'd need to be close to a charge point.

Bed time absolutely this time lol zzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, just back from a trip 'rouind NI in my i3.

Auxiliary cabin heating system is the Heat Pump.... so you definitely need that if you are going BEV.

Not orderable on the REx as it goes in the space occupied by the fuel tank.

My average consumption in the i3 is 15.5 kWh/100km and I hammer it at every opportunity.
    The i3 is on average 10-15% more efficient than the Leaf due to lower weight and a slightly more efficient motor at key RPMs.

On the 22kWh 180km in the city and 100-110km on the motorway are perfectly reasonable.
    On the 34kWh circa 180-200km motorway range is reasonable to assume.

My essential options would be:
    Aux Cabin Heating
    Pro Nav. (this is not just the larger screen, it upgrades the computer used for idrive which allows you to add other options such as real time traffic any time after purchase)

If you get stuck in traffic a good bit drive assist plus

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the HK audio, I Felt the Bose system in the Leaf was better, probably due to the HK system not having a proper subwoofer.

I don't like the Bose in the Leaf at all, The Sub just creates resonance at a certain range of frequencies, it muffles the audio and it actually lacks baas. No matter what you do you can't beat the laws of Physics and subs need to move lots of air because our ears are less sensitive at lower frequencies, they need to be a decent size never mind Sub baas frequencies. So it should have a lot more power and 2 long throw drivers in it, I doubt it has either, it certainly has no power.

The Door speakers are crap. IMO should be an option. Bose isn't up there with Harmon Kardon by a long shot.

The Bose might actually sould a lot better with that poor excuse of a sub disconnected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I have my i3 9 months now, I bought one they had in stock as it had most of what I'd decided I wanted on it. Missing HK Stereo and Auto Cruise.

I have an andesit Silver Rex with lodge interior, 429 style 19 alloys, park assist, Pro Media, Enhanced Bluetooth. - Real Time Traffic is well worth having. Voice control is better than any other I have used.

I have done 9000kms so far, mainly 70km a day commute, half back roads and half dual carrigeway - avg 18.4 kWh/100km, but I do drive it like I stole it ;-)

I personally wanted the lodge interior as it really brightens the cabin up, we had a loaner recently with the standard black interior and only my 15 year old son liked it ;-), 19 inch alloys are standard, with 2 other 19 inch options and one 20 inch one.

Performance is fantastic up to 100km/hr and it handles really well. 9 months later I still enjoy driving it and haven't regretted buying it for a minute. I travel a lot so it sits unused a fair bit and no matter what hire car I have been in I love getting back in the Rex.

Advertisement