Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3 owners

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lob020

It has probably discussed on forum somewhere here.but does anyone know who would install home chargepoint .-qualified electrician ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

jhegarty wrote: »
    Don't forget that CCS was an only an option on the older I3.

It's standard from last year (I think).

This is very important. There is an i3 for sale in Dublin at the moment without DC charging. I would avoid like the plague!

Also make sure it has the heatpump, that's also an option.

It would be very helpful if you could provide me with more details or PM me
    Thanks

lob020 wrote: »
    Thanks

Google is your friend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

lob020 wrote: »
    Thanks

The car you linked to has CCS in the photos. For all i3s built from June 2016 forward, CCS rapid charging is no longer optional, it's standard (as it should have been in the first place).

This is Type 2 CCS:
    136-P1010856.jpg

And this is Type 2 without CCS:
    N2_Zm_ZDlh_Nj_A4_Zjg1_Mjg5_ZGM4_ODJh_MTc4_MDcz_YTY4_ZDVo_Bggo_RHLY_Li_EWt_Jy_QQOVa_HR0c_Dov_L3_Mz_LWV1_LXdlc3_Qt_MS5hb_WF6b25hd3_Mu_Y29t_L2_Rvbm_Vk_ZWFs_Lmll_LXBob3_Rvcy9wa_G90b182_ODA5_ODQy_Nnx8f_DYw_MHg2_MDB8f_Hx8f_Hx8f_A.jpg

The tell is the two big pins that are added on the CCS connector.

It's not possible to retrofit rapid charging as half the cars electronics (including the motor controller) and almost all the wiring harnesses are different.

• Advertisement

Thanks again cros13.I'm anxious enough about buying an EV ,trying to be as thorough as possible before making the leap.I do so much appreciate your advice and assurances .I guess TBi is referring to another car and fair play to him for warning

Yeah, rapid charging is a big deal. It gives you the flexibility to do long distance or unexpected trips.

A car without it takes a big depreciation hit, and I wouldn't recommend that a first time EV owner buy a car without it.

cros13 wrote: »
    Yeah, rapid charging is a big deal. It gives you the flexibility to do long distance or unexpected trips.

A car without it takes a big depreciation hit, and I wouldn't recommend that a first time EV owner buy a car without it.

This car. Look at third image.

Just watched the Grand Tour, latest episode and was wondering why James May was plugging to the type2 sockets. Now I know. No wonder the journey to south took so long. What's the maximum charging rate i3 charges from type2?

TBi wrote: »

Yup... that's one to avoid all right. I'll edit my post with that third image as it makes it clearer.
    samih wrote: »
    Just watched the Grand Tour, latest episode and was wondering why James May was plugging to the type2 sockets. Now I know. No wonder the journey to south took so long. What's the maximum charging rate i3 charges from type2?

7.4kW... realistically it's seven times slower than charging via CCS. It's not nothing... it's still faster than a 6.6-equipped leaf... but there's a big difference.

The car James May used in the Grand Tour was his old 2014... his new one is a 94Ah with CCS equipped. They were being deliberately deceptive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I sort of understand skipping the cost with a Rex (but glad my one has it) , but on a Bev :confused:

jhegarty wrote: »
    I sort of understand skipping the cost with a Rex (but glad my one has it) , but on a Bev :confused:

could have been fooled by the salesman. i'm sure we've all mistakenly trusted a salesman in the past. That's why we know better now.

Two additional factors back in the early days of the i3 was that there were no CCS rapids in Ireland yet and that there was a delay on orders which included the CCS option. My car was 7-8 months from order to delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

could have been fooled by the salesman. i'm sure we've all mistakenly trusted a salesman in the past. That's why we know better now.

A majority of American voters are about to discover the same issue

Advertisement