Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring insurance to older car?

Options
  • 25-07-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So if I have a current policy on a 99 car... Policy has just been renewed last month, is it possible to transfer my insurance to an older car ?? I ask this on account of most insurance companies not insuring car that at 15/20 years old etc... Surely if I hold a current policy with them and have done on the same car for almost three years they can't refuse to transfer me can they ?? Any info or opinions would be much appreciated 😊

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Johnoae86 wrote: »
    So if I have a current policy on a 99 car... Policy has just been renewed last month, is it possible to transfer my insurance to an older car ?? I ask this on account of most insurance companies not insuring car that at 15/20 years old etc... Surely if I hold a current policy with them and have done on the same car for almost three years they can't refuse to transfer me can they ?? Any info or opinions would be much appreciated 😊

Presume you are talking about your Levin?

It is possible depending on the insurer but given your age then I'd imagine they are going to tell you that the vehicle is outside of their acceptance criteria and to feck off.

You can probably force them to cover it by appealing to the ombudsman but if thats the route you have to go down then expect a large premium hike and probably third party only cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Johnoae86

Presume you are talking about your Levin?

It is possible depending on the insurer but given your age then I'd imagine they are going to tell you that the vehicle is outside of their acceptance criteria and to feck off.

You can probably force them to cover it by appealing to the ombudsman but if thats the route you have to go down then expect a large premium hike and probably third party only cover.

But they are technically insuring me still on a car that is outside of there criteria as I got a friend to ring them and quote them on my car, he was told the car is to old that they wouldn't insure him but yet kept me on ?? He also has full license and no claims, so if they are currently insureing me on a car that is outside of there criteria surely they couldn't refuse to transfer me to an older car

But they are technically insuring me still on a car that is outside of there criteria as I got a friend to ring them and quote them on my car, he was told the car is to old that they wouldn't insure him but yet kept me on ?? He also has full license and no claims, so if they are currently insureing me on a car that is outside of there criteria surely they couldn't refuse to transfer me to an older car

You are currently insured with them and insurers are obliged to issue renewal terms on cars they currently have covered, that's why your friend was unable to get a quote for your current car, he would have been new business to them and a 99 car is outside of their acceptance criteria for new business.

The issue here is the type of car more so than the age tbh.

Whether you like it or not, you are going to be tarred with the same brush as every young driver that wants to drive a non standard car. Its unfair but insurers experience with young male drivers on import / modded / higher powered cars is bad, very bad, so they simply do not want to cover them.

Its not fair that everyone gets tarred with the same brush but insurance is not about fairness, it is about risk management and trying to avoid claims as much as is practicable. You are in a high risk profile and insurers will view you as such.

You are currently insured with them and insurers are obliged to issue renewal terms on cars they currently have covered, that's why your friend was unable to get a quote for your current car, he would have been new business to them and a 99 car is outside of their acceptance criteria for new business.

The issue here is the type of car more so than the age tbh.

Whether you like it or not, you are going to be tarred with the same brush as every young driver that wants to drive a non standard car. Its unfair but insurers experience with young male drivers on import / modded / higher powered cars is bad, very bad, so they simply do not want to cover them.

Its not fair that everyone gets tarred with the same brush but insurance is not about fairness, it is about risk management and trying to avoid claims as much as is practicable. You are in a high risk profile and insurers will view you as such.

I guess I'll just hafts say it to them and see what they can do for me, I'd imagine though if I was older I could transfer from current car no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

if you're insured with liberty or aviva then it should be possible and might be cheaper then you think. I've never been charged more than 200 to make a permanent transfer and many times its been free. That said I've never transferred my policy onto an ae86 :P

• Advertisement

if you're insured with liberty or aviva then it should be possible and might be cheaper then you think. I've never been charged more than 200 to make a permanent transfer and many times its been free. That said I've never transferred my policy onto an ae86 :P

I'm actually with aviva , never any hassle with them, I think I'll chance asking during the week to see what the crack is

I'm actually with aviva , never any hassle with them, I think I'll chance asking during the week to see what the crack is

Its a long shot but try it online. Its handier and cheaper to do however in your case you may get a "computer says no" response due to the car in question. worth chancing it though

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

All Insurers for young driver/insured aren't at liberty to cover high group/RWD cars as less experience risk normally result in claims. Thus why criteria is strict.

Ae86 japs are hard for any age person to cover as never 'just standard'

If u declare its a Corolla 1.6 on VLC and not Levin then ya may as well throw money out window as it's easiest get out of Paying claim clause for non-disclosure of materiel fact

All the best all the same

But have you been transferring to other older cars

As I said above, the is issue I think you will have is not the age of the car, its the make and model coupled with your own age that insurers have a major problem with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Normally if car is older than driver then insurers are cautious , unless u are a muture aged driver with even maturer car.... Then classic insurance may be option (t&c apply)

Yes you can transfer to cars which fall outside avivas criteria (over 14 years old)
    I had no problems making a temporary switch online to a 2.0 petrol jap import ipsum (not a performance car I know but it may aswell be being 2.0 and jap import)
    Set up an online account and give it a try you have nothing to lose.

Yes you can transfer to cars which fall outside avivas criteria (over 14 years old)
    I had no problems making a temporary switch online to a 2.0 petrol jap import ipsum (not a performance car I know but it may aswell be being 2.0 and jap import)
    Set up an online account and give it a try you have nothing to lose.

Tried that but for some reason when I typed in the reg it picked up nothing but when doing quotes online with other companies reg was picked up fine

Tried that but for some reason when I typed in the reg it picked up nothing but when doing quotes online with other companies reg was picked up fine

Isn't there a drop down menu where you can enter the details of the car manually? Either way you will prob have to ring them to switch the policy over or to confirm the change. There's a €40 admin fee as far as I remember for them to carry out the change over via the phone and that will be added to whatever the cost of switching over is. Either way aviva are the only ones who can get ya proper answers.
    Best of luck with it

Isn't there a drop down menu where you can enter the details of the car manually? Either way you will prob have to ring them to switch the policy over or to confirm the change. There's a €40 admin fee as far as I remember for them to carry out the change over via the phone and that will be added to whatever the cost of switching over is. Either way aviva are the only ones who can get ya proper answers.
    Best of luck with it

Gonna give it a go online here again now, I wouldn't have any issue paying whatever the few quid is for a transfer, I'll dig a bit deeper and get some more info from them during the week when I get the chance

Advertisement