Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rights in relation to uniforms

Options
  • 25-07-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi my hubby started a new job 3 weeks ago. when he started he was told he had to wear the uniform provided but that he had to pay for it 5euro a week, he was desperate to start as we needed the money so he signed the form to say he would pay. now he has been offered a job very close to home so he has handed in his notice, my questions are should he have to pay for the uniform as they are trying to take his last weeks wages to pay for this? also they want the uniform back even though they are taking his money. This cant be right?

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

SAMBYRNE wrote: »
    Hi my hubby started a new job 3 weeks ago. when he started he was told he had to wear the uniform provided but that he had to pay for it 5euro a week, he was desperate to start as we needed the money so he signed the form to say he would pay. now he has been offered a job very close to home so he has handed in his notice, my questions are should he have to pay for the uniform as they are trying to take his last weeks wages to pay for this? also they want the uniform back even though they are taking his money. This cant be right?

If he has or will only have been there 3-4 weeks, they have deducted €15 or max 20 euro in total so is it just possible to write it off as a bad debt for the sake of the amount involved and so that him and you no longer be stressed about it? I'm sure he's not overly upset that they want to take it back - is he really going to wear it on his days off from now on?

I'd recommend your husband should just focus on the positives. He will have a new job with a steady income coming in, a much reduced commute which surely equates to much less petrol or public transport expenses that should quickly offset the 15 euro lost. I'd recommend he chalks it up as a minor pain in the ass situation but not fret about it nor should you.

Personally, I don't agree with employers charging employees for wearing mandatory branded uniforms that can only be worn in those companies so I do agree it is a cheek but not one to fight a battle over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If the "unform" is also regarded as protective clothing (p.p.e.) while working, then you may find some usefull information on this HSE P.P.E. f.a.q. website

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If he signed a contract agreeing he has to pay for it then he has to pay for it.

He can claim it against income tax and also claim cleaning costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On the paying a fiver a week for a uniform thing. When I was in college, many many moons ago, I did a summer working for a shopping centre security firm. Same deal. I was provided with a cheap white shirt and the scratchiest pair of Farah slacks ever to have been knitted from barbed wire and dinosaur pubes. I paid a fiver a week for three months for a 'uniform' that probably cost 20 quid all in. I queried it, and was told it was 'policy'. I made it back by sleeping through my last two shifts - I only worked nights. I had a colleague who had been working for the company for ten years or so. He bought his own slacks 'n' shirts combos because the ones supplied were so badly fitting and uncomfortable. We checked his payslip, and sure enough he'd been paying a uniform charge all that time. It had never occurred to him to question it. Nice fella, but not the brightest...

Turns out the they withheld a fiver from everybody. Every week. For a £20 uniform. There were about 15 lads on the roster. Adds up I suppose...

TL;dr It's a scam, but one they can get away with because people need jobs.

Edit: forgot to mention, I had to hand the uniform back in the end. I presume the next lad had to start paying for them once I was done. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

SAMBYRNE wrote: »
    also they want the uniform back even though they are taking his money. This cant be right?
    Hand it back, but cut a Swiss cheese pattern into it if they take his last week's wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

endacl wrote: »
    Hand it back, but cut a Swiss cheese pattern into it if they take his last week's wages.

They usually won't hand over the last pay check until uniform is returned, really scummy thing to advise someone to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Panrich

davo10 wrote: »
    They usually won't hand over the last pay check until uniform is returned, really scummy thing to advise someone to do.

But they are keeping the last wage packet already so no loss there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Panrich wrote: »
    But they are keeping the last wage packet already so no loss there

I think the op is mistaken, a lot of leisure/hospitality employers hand over the last pay check when keys and uniforms are returned, it's a way of ensuring their return. The €15 will be deducted.

Advertisement