Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Overpayment query

• 26-07-2016 7:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all
    I put in the attached data on the BOI website to see how much of a saving we would make with 10% mortgage overpayment.

Thought it sounded like an easy deal so signed up for it.

We now have a letter confirming the new amount £273.37 (we pay weekly - so that's with 10% extra).... with an end date of 2049...i.e. 33 years away still!

I can't figure it out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will it not be 33yrs minus the 5yr 5 months??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

That's my query alright - so they have just put the same end date and we should assume 5 years 5 months will be taken off if we keep up these payments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats what it looks like, if the details on the left are your current situation.

google for mortgage overpayment calculator and enter the details into another one to see if it gives same results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

It sounds like they have scheduled the extra payments, but haven't changed your contract, so you still have 33 years left.
    This is the better option for you. It means you aren't committed to maintaining the overpayment to finish on the new date, you can bring your payments back down if you need to in future.

Advertisement