Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ferry Crossing

• 26-07-2016 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

I'm taking the "Swift" to Holyhead from Dublin soon and I was wondering what peoples expieriences are with ferry crossings and bikes ?

Its been a long time since I was on a ferry with a bike so a little unsure. Is there someone to strap the bike down for you or do you have to do it yourself ?

Does the Irish Ferries Swift ferry have two levels in its hold, going up a wet ramp on my old ZZR14 scared the shite out of me the last time ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They are well used to taking bikes these days. Bike will be strapped down - they have straps. Bring a towel/old rag to put under the straps so it doesn't dig into the seat cover too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

On board the Johnathan Swift in May with the R1.Dublin to Holyhead,and then back to Dublin.:)

The bike is strapped down and held in place with a chock too.Ratchet straps come with protective rubber mats too,so it wont eat into your saddle.

Stick the bike in 1st gear,hold the front brake on with some tape or a cable tie,and then let the ferry lads strap it down for you.They take great care with the bikes.:)

I used an old towel for added piece of mind,or you can use your gloves under the ratchet strap.

20160520_082105_zpsiiv2bmbd.jpg

20160520_112332_zpsgpfdqfdv.jpg

20160601_165805_zpsuvysskbd.jpg

Both ways I noticed that IF gave priority to the bikers,we were allowed to board the Swift 1st,before anyone else.They were very good with all the bikers and they took great care to make sure the bikes were well secure and not damaged in any way.

Just take your time on the ramps and have your right foot hovering over the rear brake,just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is the Swift service not coming to an end or is that just Dun Laoighaire ?

listermint wrote: »
    Is the Swift service not coming to an end or is that just Dun Laoighaire ?

Thats Stena Line you are thinking of,and thats gone ages now.:(

The Swift fast ferry is Irish Ferries,and that operates out of Dublin Port.:)

1 hour 50 minutes from Dublin to Holyhead and very nice too.:)

Byebye Wales.:pac:

20160601_172135_zpsaji7sthn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

On board the Johnathan Swift in May with the R1.Dublin to Holyhead,and then back to Dublin.:)

The bike is strapped down and held in place with a chock too.Ratchet straps come with protective rubber mats too,so it wont eat into your saddle.

Stick the bike in 1st gear,hold the front brake on with some tape or a cable tie,and then let the ferry lads strap it down for you.They take great care with the bikes.:)

I used an old towel for added piece of mind,or you can use your gloves under the ratchet strap.

20160520_112332_zpsgpfdqfdv.jpg

Looks good and its put my mind at rest :)

I got one of these for holding the brake

25140-000_01_web.jpg

D3V!L wrote: »
    Looks good and its put my mind at rest :)

I got one of these for holding the brake

25140-000_01_web.jpg

How much?:)

A bag of reusable cable ties in Lidl for 2 euro did the trick for me.

Only needed 1 to hold the front brake.

How much?:)

A bag of reusable cable ties in Lidl for 2 euro did the trick for me.

Only needed 1 to hold the front brake.

It was 9.99 from Wunderlich. Its only got TÜV type approval for BMW's though :pac:

It was 9.99 from Wunderlich. Its only got TÜV type approval for BMW's though :pac:

Ah the good auld TUV,that makes things more expensive.

Its a love hate thing with me at the moment,Ive the S1000RR stripped down at the front end trying to trace an electrical problem.

The actual horn is working,fuse is good,so it can only be a fooked horn switch on the handlebar.
    And sure BMW,s dont have problems with switches and fooked micro-switches,oh no wait..:rolleyes:

How much were your ferry tickets?

Hope you dont mind me asking?:)

• Advertisement

How much were your ferry tickets?

Hope you dont mind me asking?:)

212.40 return, one bike, two people. We're heading down to Tyrol and back. I think it'll be about 5k driving for the 8 days.

212.40 return, one bike, two people. We're heading down to Tyrol and back. I think it'll be about 5k driving for the 8 days.

Thats not bad at all for 2 people and the bike.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,361 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I miss the good old days of the HSS and 99 minute crossings :( first they made it slower to save fuel, then they laid them up entirely. Fuel costs, the end of duty free, and cheap air fares killed the economics.

I took the Swift with the bike once, not nice at all, much smaller ship than the HSS and more affected by the weather, it had to go off course to try to avoid the worst of it and slow down but for half an hour before that it was continuously rolling quite quickly side to side, a case of sit down at the bar tables and hold on, nobody was drinking a drop!! Would be fine on a smooth day but whatever way the waves/wind were coming it seemed to hit a resonant frequency on the rolling motion of the ship :(

Used the channel tunnel a few times with the bike and found it grand.

Scrap the cap!

I miss the good old days of the HSS and 99 minute crossings :( first they made it slower to save fuel, then they laid them up entirely. Fuel costs, the end of duty free, and cheap air fares killed the economics.

I took the Swift with the bike once, not nice at all, much smaller ship than the HSS and more affected by the weather, it had to go off course to try to avoid the worst of it and slow down but for half an hour before that it was continuously rolling quite quickly side to side, a case of sit down at the bar tables and hold on, nobody was drinking a drop!! Would be fine on a smooth day but whatever way the waves/wind were coming it seemed to hit a resonant frequency on the rolling motion of the ship :(

Used the channel tunnel a few times with the bike and found it grand.

HSS was good allright,much bigger boat,and there would be regular price wars between Stena Line and Irish ferries to get people to use their fast ferries.:)

The Swift isnt too bad in rough-ish seas,yeah it moves around a bit,but sure what boat doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

@ stewygriffin
    Slightly off topic I know but do the cops not give ya hassle for the tax disc obscuring your reg plate?
    I got reefed out of it years back by cops for the same thing.

Zebbedee wrote: »
    @ stewygriffin
    Slightly off topic I know but do the cops not give ya hassle for the tax disc obscuring your reg plate?
    I got reefed out of it years back by cops for the same thing.

pesky little kids constantly pushing it up over my reg plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

pesky little kids constantly pushing it up over my reg plate.

Its the vibration of the big engine on mine that does it......:D:D;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its the vibration of the big engine on mine that does it......:D:D;)

Thats what she said too.

My ex girlfrend used to love being on the back of the Ducati.

:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Ya lost your bag Stewy!!

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Ya lost your bag Stewy!!

I was waiting to see if anyone would cop that,and if so,how long it would take them to mention it.:pac::D

• Advertisement

Back last night from my little 5500k jaunt around the alps.

Had a funny experience on the ferry where while I was dismounting my bike one of the deck hands threw the strap over my leg from behind me and tried to rachet it down !! This was after he was warned to wait by my pillion.

Needless to say I wasn't happy as I nearly fell taking the bike with me. Your man was reported and got in serious trouble over it.

Had a funny experience on the ferry where while I was dismounting my bike one of the deck hands threw the strap over my leg from behind me and tried to rachet it down !! This was after he was warned to wait by my pillion.

Needless to say I wasn't happy as I nearly fell taking the bike with me. Your man was reported and got in serious trouble over it.
    Sorry to hear that.

My most recent ferry crossing with IF was pure bliss. Chap went out of his way to secure my bike perfectly with huge foam padded straps,and the Irish Sea was like a mirror,it was that calm and clear.

Maybe he was just into bondage :pac:

Scrap the cap!

HSS was good allright,much bigger boat,and there would be regular price wars between Stena Line and Irish ferries to get people to use their fast ferries.:)

The Swift isnt too bad in rough-ish seas,yeah it moves around a bit,but sure what boat doesnt.

Just seemed to be particularly bad luck with the wind and waves on the day. It set up a good 25 degree (if not more) roll at a 2Hz frequency, keep that up for half an hour and I guarantee just about anybody's stomach will be well aware of it :pac: we turned north and slowed right down to get out of the worst of it. A slow ferry wouldn't have been affected in the same way and the HSS is too wide to generate that kind of roll. I was probably very unlucky to encounter those conditions but nonetheless it's a narrow enough ship which is less laterally stable than a slow ferry.

Scrap the cap!

Maybe he was just into bondage :pac:

Well I do look particularly fetching in my leathers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

6896128142_70413d68c9.jpg

goodlad wrote: »
    6896128142_70413d68c9.jpg

Thanks for your approval, really means a lot to me .....

Advertisement