Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Livery

Options
  • 26-07-2016 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All, I have been asked to look after a Thoroughbred horse for the winter and if all goes well, the summer too. The Livery would include individual stable, been let out every morning with my horses (Irish Draught & Warm bloods), Bought in every evening, Bedding and clean out, hay and meal. I think all in would be easier. But maybe DIY is the norm. Does anybody with experience in this area have any advice on best options and cost per week. After talking with a friend who did livery years back he said anything less than €100 a week would be a waste of time. Also legal issue if horse get an injury or get on road. I have insurance for my horses but would i need a separate insurance. I think sawdust would be the best option going forward to make cleaning out easier. Thanks for any guidance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I think this might be better suited to the Equestrian forum Pat, shall I move it over there for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PatjS

Please thanks Kovu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Where are you based and what kind of facilities do you have? Turnout, arena, hacking, security etc. This will determine what you can charge.

You'll need insurance if you're taking on clients for sure. Maybe someone else can advise better on this as I'm not sure of the ins and outs.

Do you have enough turnout to add another horse over the winter? You'll also need to factor in the likelihood that you'll be buying in extra hay/haylage over the winter as theres little to no grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PatjS

i'm in Kilkenny, I have new stables with running water, I have a field (dry weather) and an all weather paddock. No other facilities. But all he wants is his yearling housed for the winter. I asked a farrier today and he said €10 a day for stables, food, bed etc and €10 a day to let in our horses and clean out stable, IE €140 a week. Maybe cut a better deal if you get two or more horses. Heard of stables rented in Cork for €50, but nothing supplied only stable and paddock, no food or labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

PatjS wrote: »
    i'm in Kilkenny, I have new stables with running water, I have a field (dry weather) and an all weather paddock. No other facilities. But all he wants is his yearling housed for the winter. I asked a farrier today and he said €10 a day for stables, food, bed etc and €10 a day to let in our horses and clean out stable, IE €140 a week. Maybe cut a better deal if you get two or more horses. Heard of stables rented in Cork for €50, but nothing supplied only stable and paddock, no food or labour.

I'd say 140 is a bit steep, I'm within commuting distance of Dublin and am paying 30/week for a stable, diy. Previously I was paying 120/week for full livery, where my horse would be turned out every day, mucked out and fed twice a day, feet picked out and legs brushed off, rugs changed and the horse would be ridden if I needed her to be, I also had free access to a large arena and hacking facilities. This was within 15 minutes of a Dublin commuter town.

I'd say go with your earlier instinct of 100 if you are going to do full livery with the horse but on one horse you may not make money. I think to actually be earning from livery you need to be doing it on a large scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

140 a week is pricey, I'm in South Dublin and 140 a week would be the rate charged by competition yards. Going rate for South Dublin/North Wicklow is 110-130 a week. I'd imagine that would be less if you're in Kilkenny, and will be completely dependent on the facilities you have.

Also, I'd imagine its a yearling they're looking for livery for, they'll want to keep costs down.

Advertisement