Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delonghi Dedica Espresso machine

• 26-07-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought the above recently.
    I am a cappuccino drinker but generally like them with little froth.

I have been using a Tassimo pod machine for over 2 years which I love. It is so simple to use and makes a lovely cappuccino. However the pods can be expensive enough so I decided to go down the espresso machine route. I also wanted to be able to make different types of coffee.

The Dedica is a nice looking machine.
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/coffee-machines/delonghi-dedica-red-coffee-maker-ec680.r.html

I am wondering if others are using this machine and what you make of it.

This is my first time using an espresso machine and the hassle of handling ground coffee and steaming milk. Plus you then have to store the coffee in the fridge or freezer.
    Looking at reviews on amazon they are generally very positive.

I have had a few issues. Maybe I need to just get used to the machine.

I have made over 10 coffees at this stage.
    The coffee handle was extremely difficult to twist on. The guideline was to fill up the filter and tamper fairly tightly. Now I have figured out that I was putting too much coffee into the filter. Unfortunately there is no line mark on the filter to inform you how high to fill it. You have to figure it out through trial and error.

The guidelines say you have to clean the wand each time after making a cappuccino which is a real pain as you have to take a few bits apart and rinse them. Do people not just give the wand a quick wipe?

I am using Lavazza coffee. I also tried a decaf ground coffee from aldi which didn't taste good but it may not be the right type of coffee. I want to be able to get a good decaf coffee.

How are others getting on with this machine?
    Did it take you a while to get the best out of it?

Thanks for reading the long winded post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You will get better results using a grinder rather than buying ground coffee.

For the steam wand, milk can build up on the inside if you don't clean properly. I'd suggest to take it apart every couple of days, not necessarily each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You will get better results using a grinder rather than buying ground coffee.

For the steam wand, milk can build up on the inside if you don't clean properly. I'd suggest to take it apart every couple of days, not necessarily each time.

Don't think I could be bothered with a grinder. Just another delay in making a coffee.
    I drink max 2 cups a day and rarely drink anything after 3pm as it hinders sleep. So my needs are prettt small and why tassimo suited me so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

It's a lot of hustle to find the correct coffee, the correct amount and the correct size of the grinded beans that make the perfect drink for you. I was using a Jura Impressa J9 and after a while got sick of the whole process, the cleaning, the waiting time, the search for a good coffee, the differences in taste after 1-2 weeks, even if you keep it in the fridge, so I sold it and took a Delonghi Latissima for Nespresso capsules. I know it's more expensive per serving, but man, it's sooooo much easier to drink a good coffee. It's not perfect, but it has consistent taste and much less cleaning.

Wizard! wrote: »
    It's a lot of hustle to find the correct coffee, the correct amount and the correct size of the grinded beans that make the perfect drink for you. I was using a Jura Impressa J9 and after a while got sick of the whole process, the cleaning, the waiting time, the search for a good coffee, the differences in taste after 1-2 weeks, even if you keep it in the fridge, so I sold it and took a Delonghi Latissima for Nespresso capsules. I know it's more expensive per serving, but man, it's sooooo much easier to drink a good coffee. It's not perfect, but it has consistent taste and much less cleaning.

I know what you are saying. The tassimo pods are so handy. Not very expensive either if you nanage to stock up on the pods when there is a discount - bewteen 60c and 80c per cappuccino, half that if you only want an espresso.

It is also very portable and you can just bring a box of pods with you.

I was in 2 minds about buying the Dedica and wavered for a long time before finally going for it.

I am hoping once I get more used to the machine it will work out.

The Levazza bags are a pain to open and not ideal for storing an open bag. I have put mine into a lunch box in the bottom of the fridge for the moment. But the coffee is strong and has a nice flavour. If I can make good americanos and other coffees it might work out ok.

I am finding that the coffee is coming through the espresso handle a bit too quickly.

Either I am not tamping it enough or am not filling the handle with enough ground coffee.
    Upto this I was putting too much coffee in and I couldn't twist the handle on.

I also prefer my cappuccino to have less froth and be more like steamed milk with less of the froth and air. I am not sure if I need to do something different with the wand or what.

I am waiting for a thermometer and a proper jug to arrive and hopefully that will help me.
    If I want less froth should I steam the milk for longer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I am finding that the coffee is coming through the espresso handle a bit too quickly.

Either I am not tamping it enough or am not filling the handle with enough ground coffee.
    Upto this I was putting too much coffee in and I couldn't twist the handle on.

I also prefer my cappuccino to have less froth and be more like steamed milk with less of the froth and air. I am not sure if I need to do something different with the wand or what.

I am waiting for a thermometer and a proper jug to arrive and hopefully that will help me.
    If I want less froth should I steam the milk for longer?
    Is this on a regular espresso machine? Maybe the grind is too coarse.

Frothing the milk is not as much steaming for longer as it is steaming nearer to the top of the surface of the milk. When you hear that rip noise, you are aerating the milk. The shorter you do that for, the less froth there will be.

Advertisement