Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Maps send to car working in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't have a Leaf, but I do have a Nissan Connect 3 system in my Pulsar which supports it in theory. However, it doesn't work in Ireland for some bizarre reason best known to Google. I contacted Nissan and they said it was down to Google, tried to contact Google via various means but got either no reply or some canned boilerplate saying they "don't support it at this time but are constantly re-evaluating ... yada, yada, yada."

On my system I can do a Google search via my paired smartphone and add any locations found to my address book on the Satnav that way, which is better than nothing, but Send to Car would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Is it that you can't add your car when you go to the Send to Car setup page in Google?

I got that working (let me know if that's what the issue is and I'll share the detail), but haven't tried to connect it to the Leaf yet - just not got around it as we only have it a few weeks and only recently set up CarWings

dec2000 wrote: »
    Is it that you can't add your car when you go to the Send to Car setup page in Google?

I got that working (let me know if that's what the issue is and I'll share the detail), but haven't tried to connect it to the Leaf yet - just not got around it as we only have it a few weeks and only recently set up CarWings
    That's where I get into trouble too, so I'd be interested in the workaround. If it involves registering a Google account in another country to the one you live in though, that brings other issues with it which would probably outweigh it's usefulness.

Nope so I did this:
    navigate to
    www.google.com/ncr

The NCR is No Country Redirect - then I googled the Send to Car Page and it brought it up. The error I previously had is gone and I can see the option (once logged in with my regular account) to Add the car - pick manufacturer / add the logon etc.

I haven't tested further than this yet....

Edit: Here's what I see after doing this: http://imgur.com/yYabvtx yYabvtx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Is it that you can't add your car when you go to the Send to Car setup page in Google? Yes, I will give the NCR a try later, but that certainly looks promising , Thx

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ... the registration now appears to work (I assume the account id is the VIN shown on the nissanconnect.eu page?), and my car now appears in the list of devices when I select (rather confusingly) "Send to Phone" after a search but then it fails with an error message "We couldn't communicate with your automaker. Please contact them for assistance."

11bngw3.jpg

EDIT: Also tried the email address I use to log in to Nissan Connect as the "Account ID" and that doesn't work either.

I haven't completed past this step as we only set up the Carwings account - the ID is not the VIN, nor do I think it's the email address - will have to look at the help for more info

Edit: looks like it is the email address from what I can see online. Also, best to test from desktop, it seems phones may need an app or something else. Caveat - it still may not work!

k123456 wrote: »
    I think most of the users there are in the UK where it works, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I've used it recently. No problem , Irish car Irish googje account.

The ID is the series of digits that's displayed on one of cars menu pages. It's not your email or vin

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    I've used it recently. No problem , Irish car Irish googje account.

The ID is the series of digits that's displayed on one of cars menu pages. It's not your email or vin
    I can't find anything like that on my Connect 3, so maybe it's only working on the Leaf which would be a bit odd. I also can't find any other ID in any of the menu pages including the System Settings page.

On a connected (!) note, the Google Search app is playing silly buggers now, and refusing to find destinations it found easily a few weeks ago :mad:

Alun wrote: »
    I can't find anything like that on my Connect 3, so maybe it's only working on the Leaf which would be a bit odd. I also can't find any other ID in any of the menu pages including the System Settings page.

On a connected (!) note, the Google Search app is playing silly buggers now, and refusing to find destinations it found easily a few weeks ago :mad:

Sorry not near the car at present. But one of the menu pages on the Leaf gives an ID which is used in " send to car "

I don't think the feature is available on mobile Google maps

Set up google send to car here https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6081481?hl=en

Follow the instruction sin that page, it's an absolute doddle to set up and use. Use your carwings ID, what you use to sign in, it's your username as far as I remember. Sometimes it fails to send to car but if you try a couple of times it will work.

Then go to the Leaf head unit all older than 2016 leafs.

1 Start-up your car. You must be logged into Carwings for this to work (normally, you remain logged in after initial setup) and must have wireless network signal for your car.

2 After acknowledging the Nag Screen by clicking 'Accept', press the physical button labeled 'Zero Emissions' located on the extreme lower right of your navi display

3 Navigate using the touch screen to Carwings -> All Information Feeds -> Google Maps -> Send To Car

4 Carwings will connect to your account and download the Route Destination you sent to the service earlier
    After downloading, it will 'speak' the info to you. While it's doing this, press the 'Pause' button. (If you miss it, you have to hit 'replay?' then Pause while it's playing.)

5 Pressing Pause brings up another menu with several options.
    A Pressing 'New Destination' sends the Route Destination to your Navigation System and starts you on a route to get there.
    B Pressing 'Add to Route' allows you to add the Route Destination to an existing route you're already navigating on.
    C Pressing 'Store Point' allows you to store the Route Destination to your Navi's address book.

Thanks Folks, will try all the above, certainly sending to car from maps is useful

Note that if you have a 2016 leaf many things are different in the software including the fact that there is no carwings

Send to car with 2016 leaf only supports destination downloads not routes

I found it very underwhelming

Advertisement