Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sealing diamond cut wheels

• 26-07-2016 11:14am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So as some of you no doubt saw in the other forum, some absolute knob jockey has knicked the center caps out of my alloys. To make matters worse, after a closer inspection I've noticed they were also hamfisted troglodytes that went at the alloys with a screwdriver to get at the center caps. They have left marks on all 4 wheels and at least one of them appears to have been chipped past the lacquer.

2084183304.jpeg

Having had diamond cut alloys on my previous car, I'm all too familiar with the damage this is liable to lead to with white worm if I can't get it sealed again, so I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest any products I can use to either re-seal the wheel or at least provide some protection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Without getting the wheels refurbished I would be putting on a Nano/Ceramic coating such as CarPro DLux or Gtechniq's Wheel Armour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

As mentioned above, they'd be the better sealants on the market, but Im not sure if they'll sufficiently seal the chip....perhaps if you were to dab the product onto the area, to ensure the product gets into all uneven surfaces, and later two or three layers in that small area to ensure its fully coated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Perhaps a bit of laquer to seal the area. Nail Polish laquer even just to get the spot covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Sorry... but sealants or waxes will be of no use. There's no magic dust sealant on the market that will stop that horrible whiteworm corrosion. Sealants will help keep the wheels stay clean (or at least make them easier to clean) but they'll do nothing for this.

If the lacquer is broken, moisture will eventually get in underneath. Your best bet is actually as per above - try dabbing a little clear lacquer on the spots in question. If you go into the dealers and ask them for a paint touch up kit it'll come in a pack with 2 bottles - one paint, the other lacquer. Use that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Unfortunately as mentioned no sealant will make any difference if the lacquer is broken. Absolute toe rags.

I mean that's absolutely disgusting behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

2 of my alloys are damaged and I've only used chemical guys wheel guard and collinite 845 to seal them and whiteworm isn't anywhere on either of them.

I'll be getting them refurbed at some stage after which I'll be applying Gtechniq crystal serum and EXO.

Advertisement