Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I do?

• 26-07-2016 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi just looking for a bite of advise.

I got a new clutch in my car a month ago by the garage that I bought the car from. My own mechanic is now saying that it is starting to slip, he said when you drive it "hard" the rev's go up fast without any acceleration. I have seen it happen so he's right. The only thing is I highly doubt I have burnt out a clutch in a month, I don't clutch unnecessarily and I am conscious of it.

I rang the garage that I bought the car off and that fitted the clutch and he said that it was a bran new clutch and he will look at it but if he takes it out and its faulty he will replace it but if it is burnt out then he will charge me (fair enough)

Fast forward two months and I dropped the car to the garage I bought it in after he fobbed me off for two months, I have 13K miles on it since I bought it in January. The "new" three part clutch was put in at the end of April. As the clutch was done in warrenty (it ended at the end of April) he promised he would look at it for me. He drove it up his avenue and rang my B/F and said " she was way too many miles put up on the car we won't even look at it" My BF said but you didn't even take the clutch out to look at it so how do you know its not faulty and he said " ye are on yer own I am a mechanic for 35 years and I know by driving it it's burnt out"

My own mechanic said that's all bull, I don't really have a leg to stand on do I? I am now going to be out of pocket for a clutch and not my injector has gone in the car (not his fault I know)

Any advise welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well you could probably go the way of making a claim against them. As it was under warranty at the time you asked the car dealer to look at it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Basically if the clutch looks like this:
    Clutch.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
    With nice long loose fibres hanging off, then it got a roasting at the hands of human error, and you're going to have to foot the bill.

If it doesn't look like that, for example this is a naturally worn clutch:
    clutch-disc-wear.jpg
    Then it must be the poorest quality part imaginable, though unlikely.

Or if it is faulty/was fitted badly then you have a case. But the gearbox has to come out for anyone to find out.

Advertisement