Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing standard bicycle on Irish Rail intercity

Options
  • 26-07-2016 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at a journey on Irish Rail intercity and want to bring the bike (non-foldable). The journey is approx 2 hours.

There are no seats showing as "Available" when I book online, and only one of the trips has a selectable bike space.

Is it possible to bring the bike on board and stand with it in the galley for the duration of the trip, or do I *have* to select a trip with a free bike space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You 'have' to select a trip with a bike space but, if you roll up with the bike, chances are they'll try to get you sorted somehow...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

From which station to which station? Come of the Dublin-Cork trains have an extra carriage that the bikes can be thrown in. Irish Rail reduced the number of bookable spaces per train I think in October, but there might be more trains with spaces.

Some friends had no issues bring bikes onto a train from Roscommon to Heuston earlier in the year. I had a space booked earlier in the day just in case but was the only bike there and could've fit 4-5 even it says 2 spots only.

Also the carriage with the bike space when booking, is often not the carriage for the bike. The bike goes in the last carriage in my recent experience, but at least they stopped charging for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Right, and it's possible to book a ticket with no available seats correct? I don't mind standing for 2 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You 'have' to select a trip with a bike space but, if you roll up with the bike, chances are they'll try to get you sorted somehow...

Also say I just roll up with the bike, and there's no space, is my ticket valid for the next train that day?

Advertisement