Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display

Options
  • 26-07-2016 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Went to Bray on Sunday for the Air Display, had a brilliant day out, it was great to see again the magnificent Red Arrows and my first time to see the Italian display team the Frecci Tricolori who were awesome to watch, it got me thinking that since the Salthill Air show finished nothing of note has happened out there to attract visitors, when the Air Display was on here it was knocked left right and centre by anti-war groups and pot and kettle bangers who walked the prom during the show banging them, I spoke to one of the organisers in Bray and they have never had any kind of protest since it started despite having the Red Arrows on Sunday and US Air Force aircraft over the years. Why is this City so full of protestors who attack anything that was good for the City, Bray had 140,000 thousand visitors over two days and just look at the papers yesterday of the great press and TV coverage the Air Display got, how many were in Salthill last weekend, they also have a festival called "Summer Fest" that runs for a few weeks with concerts and a huge funfair, we are a great City for shooting ourselves in the foot when we let go of things that were good for the City, the Salthill Festival, the Horse Show in the park and of course the brilliant Air Show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well written aerohead, I would have to agree with what you say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya the Airshow was always great.
    Massive loss to Galway.

I don't live in Galway anymore but i do try and go back at least once a year. It seems every year im finding something interesting to do when i go back in the summer.

I don't feel like going back to the mess that is the Galway Races and the insane prices of accommodation during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Salthill airshow was cancelled because they couldn't find a major sponsor (ref: http://connachttribune.ie/salthill-air-show-to-be-to-grounded/) - if it was indeed that lucrative then surely a sponsor would have been found, I'm sure.

How much coverage and visitor numbers did the Arts Festival get? And the Galway Races? And the Challenge (whatever it was called) Triathlon?

The Salthill Festival did try to revive itself in 2012/2013, but seems to have tapered off again.

I've never heard of a horse show in the park there, and google's not finding it for me. Can you share some more details? Especially about how it was better than all the other horse shows around the country ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've never heard of a horse show in the park there, and google's not finding it for me. Can you share some more details? Especially about how it was better than all the other horse shows around the country ...
    A show-jumping competition that used to be held in Salthill Park in the 1980s, which was a four day event and televised live on RTÉ television.
    T'was huge!
    also Beat on the Street in the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    A show-jumping competition that used to be held in Salthill Park in the 1980s, which was a four day event and televised live on RTÉ television.
    T'was huge!
    also Beat on the Street in the car park

They were great days. It was always Eddie macken verses some lad from the army. Didn't it move to south park one year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The Salthill airshow was cancelled because they couldn't find a major sponsor (ref: http://connachttribune.ie/salthill-air-show-to-be-to-grounded/) - if it was indeed that lucrative then surely a sponsor would have been found, I'm sure.

That was more the effect than the cause.

The GAAW and their allied whingers created such a fuss and negativity that it would have been unlikely that any sponsor would want to put their neck on the line by supporting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

?Cee?view wrote: »
    That was more the effect than the cause.
    The GAAW and their allied whingers created such a fuss and negativity that it would have been unlikely that any sponsor would want to put their neck on the line by supporting it.
    Of course a door falling off a helicopter was of no assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

snubbleste wrote: »
    Of course a door falling off a helicopter was of no assistance.

The great non event. A lightweight panel flutters slowly down the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Discodog wrote: »
    The great non event. A lightweight panel flutters slowly down the beach.

So lightweight i suppose you would have caught it on its way down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

It didnt look that lightweight when it fell close to me!

• Advertisement

Pataman wrote: »
    It didnt look that lightweight when it fell close to me!

For the sake of this forum could you try put a more positive spin on your near death experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You only had to watch the way that it caught the wind & fell like a leaf. A heavy object would of fallen vertically.

Not the first incident in Ireland so, as well as airshows, we should ban helicopters too :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0302/114650-cullenm/

However it couldn't happen again as aircraft are not allowed to cross the crowd line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

pure.conya wrote: »
    For the sake of this forum could you try put a more positive spin on your near death experience?

The sand was soft?:)

Pataman wrote: »
    The sand was soft?:)

See that wasn't so difficult :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Discodog wrote: »
    You only had to watch the way that it caught the wind & fell like a leaf. A heavy object would of fallen vertically.

That's more caused by the shape of the object rather than the weight of it. Any large flat surface with a center of gravity in the middle would tend to do that.

I'm sure it was relatively lightweight compared to its surface area - every gram counts on board an airplane or helicopter. But it could still weigh multiple tens of kilos. I'm sure it could have lead to serious injury or death if it hit someone the wrong way.

That said, in my opinion it was squarely the fault of the helicopter crew for not checking all their hatches before takeoff. Nothing to do with the organisers IMO.

I really miss the airshow and the ocean race for that matter.

Advertisement