Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sling Advice

• 26-07-2016 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

So I have a four week old girl and looking for advice on best sling to get and how to go about it. She loves being held (don't they all!) and given I have an extremely lively 3 year old I figure a sling is the best way to hold baby and actually get things done.

I like the look of the jpmbb, are they easy enough to use?? Any other suggestions/advice?

I've tried getting in touch with the sling library to rent but haven't heard back. It says online they close for August so not sure if they've gone early or something!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The sling library possibly don't hire out for a week or so before they head off for their summer holidays.

I had a JPMBB, bought it from a poster here actually and I wasn't a big fan of it, too fiddly to put on and take off again. I bought a Connecta afterwards and used it for ages, recently just sold it on to someone actually and my little man is two now (a small two so he still fit the weight restriction in it). I found it easier for putting on and taking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I bought a jmpbb and found it a pain in the arse to use. I got an ergo carrier and absolutely love it, still put my little girl into it at one and a half. I've heard great things about the lillebaby too.

Do you know anyone who has a few slings or carriers that you can try out? I was fully sure that I would love my stretchy jmpbb but it turned out a buckle carrier suited me much better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love my stretchy for my 4 month old but it gets way too warm during the summer. I'd love a Connecta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated!

Was wondering if the stretchy wrap would be painful to get the hang of. Unfortunately I'm the first of my friends to have babies (wish they'd hurry up and join me!) so can't borrow off anyone, would be ideal if I could.

I did get an ergo on my first daughter but she was a bit older and we tried getting the hang of it during a roasting hot spell one summer and gave up, just couldn't get used to it so sold it on.

Sounds like the connecta gets thumbs up all round? Had a look on koala Cubs there and they look nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've never tried a stretchy, but I'd say it would be way too hot, as others have said! Have you looked at the bwi page? There might be a sling meet near you? That might be a good starting point. I tried a Connecta when my boy was small and it was grand, but I ended up going for something a bit more structured. The Kokadi flip is a very popular buckle for babies too. A sling consult might also be a good option, if there's someone near you who does them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We had the beco Gemini. I loved it. My sis has it now and I'll take it back if I ever go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I loved the jpmbb stretchy and I had never used a sling before. We moved onto the connecta at 6 months and I adore it too.

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tie the stretchy and once you get the hang of it only takes a few seconds.

But it is very warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I had a stretchy on my first and found it cumbersome to use. Got an ergo, but my boy exceeded the weight limit really quickly. I have two lillebabys and love them. Lumbar support is great, and they have more ways to carry and higher weight limit. I also got a ring sling for my second. Finding it really handy and easy to use.
    There's a sling questionnaire on the babame / sling heaven website that could help you decide. Or there might be a sling shop near you, or a meet up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Snugglebugs in Naas is fab and they do sling consults too.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Digs wrote: »
    Hey folks

So I have a four week old girl and looking for advice on best sling to get and how to go about it. She loves being held (don't they all!) and given I have an extremely lively 3 year old I figure a sling is the best way to hold baby and actually get things done.

I like the look of the jpmbb, are they easy enough to use?? Any other suggestions/advice?

I've tried getting in touch with the sling library to rent but haven't heard back. It says online they close for August so not sure if they've gone early or something!

Hi Digs,
    I was in the same boat, I got a NCT cacco and love it, stretchy but cool. Comfortable and supportive for inside and outside.
    Hope you get sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I had a Manduca with my first, super handy, extremely easy to use.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Join the baby wearing Ireland Facebook page,it is full of people that have loads of experience with slings.

I love my Buzzidil and my Lillé baby and my ring sling.
    I liked the Ergo but once I tried others,I sold my Ergo:)
    Try a few and then decide.

Thanks all for those replies! I'm hoping this baby will take to the sling well, would be so handy.

Think I've decided to find my way to a sling meet and I've checked out that fb page thanks moonbeam. I wouldn't mind checking out snugglebugs too, have heard good things about it.

The girl from the sling library actually got in touch and I've two slings on the way to me! One is a jpmbb and I couldn't catch the name of the other but it's a buckle, she didn't have a connecta. I can have them until the end of August.

This baby is suffering a bit with wind lately so hoping popping her in the sling might help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I have a Sollybaby wrap for my newborn, she loves it and it's comfy & easy to use. I have an Ergo for my last fella, which I'll use when herself gets bigger. Love it too, so comfy.

Slings arrived!

The other one is called an isara, it looks nice and lightweight. Anyone any experience with them?

Will be youtubing this evening I think :)

For anyone interested we fell in love with the Isara carrier! I think it's relatively new to the scene but it's beautiful, so comfy and looks good too! Definitely worth checking out.

Turns out she hates the carseat but absolutely loves being carried so we're getting out and doing lots of walking, she can nod off for hours in it.

Returned the rental and ordered one online and it arrived this morning, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

oooh we need a pic when it arrives!!

Will do moonbeam!

Here it is! It really is so snug and cosy. It was designed by a babywearing consultant I believe.

Oooh ,it is very pretty . I like the look of the waist on it too .

• Advertisement

That's part of the beauty of it for me I think, the fabric can be cinched in and out as baby grows and the waistband is lovely and thick

Advertisement