Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Upgrading control switches - problem

• 26-07-2016 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

The controls on my Super Four were fairly raggedy looking when I bought it so I'm switching them for a new set.

Got this set off Aliexpress: http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32219578341.html

I've plugged them into the socket but it's not starting when I go to start it.
    The new set has an extra pin (8 pins) compared to the old set which has 7 pins.

Any advice on how to figure it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

use a multimeter and label the pairs of wires, find out what the extra one is for and then swap the positions of the wires to match up with your old connector

extra pin could be ground, and your old connector could just have a ground wire looped into the kill switch or something, so you'd have to do that on the new one. just a guess of what the extra wire is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

REALLY stupid question, but I only got a multimeter today so not familiar with how to use it.

How can I check what does what as you suggested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

right so set the multimeter to continuity, normally looks like <>-)))) or something like that, it beeps when you touch the two probes together,

clip one of the probes to a wire, then go through touching all the other wires individually until it beeps, you've then found the pair to that wire, label them with a bit of tape, move onto next wire.

you'll have to do a bit of fidgeting with switches, i.e. holding horn down, kill switch on, not sure what you'll have to do with the indicator but mess around and you should be able to figure out what way that works.

anyway at the end you'll have all your pairs labelled and you can check if the order in the little connector matches what you had previously, and what the extra cable is for

hope that helps a bit

Advertisement