Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I explain leaving a position due to bullying?

Options
  • 26-07-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I was pursuing a research postgraduate and was nearly finished. But due to a situation involving colleagues I felt compelled to leave my studies. One person and I had fallen out and it cascaded to others becoming involved and me being isolated. It was a very difficult time and I had no support from my superior, so I left and was unemployed for a period of time.

I am currently employed and got this position through knowing one of the business owners. It is related to my original degree and I obviously use skills I picked up during my research too. I am now in a position where I want to move on and try applying for other jobs.

What I’m wondering is how do I explain what happened in upcoming interviews? I’m an open and honest person, but feel that I may be labelled ‘dramatic’ or portray that I am unable to handle difficult situations. I am actually very resilient and I’m not trouble/dramatic. What I experienced was the most stressful time of my life and was it compounded by the inaction of my superiors.

I really want to put the best foot forward and be confident in interviews. I want to have a suitable answer as to why I didn’t complete my studies and explain the gap afterwards. I would really appreciate if recruiters could give me some advice on how to approach this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Are you going back into the area your postgraduate research was in? If so I'd say that you had some personal problems at the time and you made the decision to pause your studies and evaluate it. You're now in a position where you would like to continue with them and progress in the area and that the break away from it only confirmed this for you.

If it's nothing to do with the postgraduate area, I'd just say that you decided that area was not where you wanted to focus and you left it.

Honestly there is no need to be bringing up exactly what happened as I think no matter how you phrase it, it can be taken up a different/the wrong way by someone. And you don't have to give them any details as to why you had a gap.

Was the gap a significant period or just a short while?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I was near the end point of my studies, so I don't think that I can say it was an area I wasn't interested in. The positions I'm looking at are not directly related to the area of my studies, I have a lot of transferable skills that can be utilised in most jobs from my degree and studies.
    My gap of unemployment was 2 years. I had little confidence after the ordeal and applied for positions in retail as I wanted a break from academia. During the time, I helped out family and friends in their businesses and was childminder my sisters children for a while, so I wasn't completely idle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

"I stepped in to help fix a family emergency by taking on a childminding role temporarily. I continued to work in businesses doing x, y and z over that time. The emergency situation is sorted now."

Staph wrote: »
    I was near the end point of my studies, so I don't think that I can say it was an area I wasn't interested in. The positions I'm looking at are not directly related to the area of my studies, I have a lot of transferable skills that can be utilised in most jobs from my degree and studies.
    My gap of unemployment was 2 years. I had little confidence after the ordeal and applied for positions in retail as I wanted a break from academia. During the time, I helped out family and friends in their businesses and was childminder my sisters children for a while, so I wasn't completely idle.

Then I'd maybe just go with the line of personal circumstances at the time led me to make the tough decision that I couldn't complete my studies. And then if they ask about the unemployed period, just note that you were helping family and friends with their businesses and that you also did some childminding for them which allowed you to deal with the personal circumstances that you'd mentioned before.

I wouldn't go further into it, like I said, it is really none of their business really as to why and it doesn't benefit you at all to say it.

I left a position in part due to a difficult relationship with a colleague however I didn't mention that at all when interviewing. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate your answers to my query. 2Rock, I'll consider using that.
    I currently work in an area that is related to my degree, with a bit of everything else. I work in start up company and I've got some great experience working here. My current role is more aligned to the positions I'm applying to, a nice mix.

• Advertisement

Thanks witchgirl. During your interviews, did they push you to reveal your personal circumstances? I wonder will I seem evasive?

Staph wrote: »
    Thanks witchgirl. During your interviews, did they push you to reveal your personal circumstances? I wonder will I seen evasive?

I'd never personally used the personal circumstances. I used other reasons (which were real and valid as to why I was leaving). I do know a couple of people who did use that type of phrase and weren't pushed as to what these were. I think the most one got was a question as to whether the circumstances were likely to arise again and they replied that it would be very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Never say you were bullied in a previous job.
    Ive worked in companies and interviewed people and when it came up that the candidate was being bullied it just rang alarm bells.
    It didnt matter what the truth of the matter was. The fact that those alarm bells were ringing was all that was needed to disqualify that candidate.
    There was even one person who said their last two jobs they had been bullied out of. Rightly or wrongly people form opinions when hearing these things.

Thanks yqtwqxqm, this is the reason I'm asking. I think that it will be perceived badly and I really want to avoid that during interviews. I want to give myself the best chance of securing a new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just imply that your relative's health problems are now resolved. No one will ask if they died or got better.

Do not use the bullying word. It's not what a prospective employer needs to hear to be convinced that you are the person for their job.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice everyone. So the consensus is to mention that personal circumstances was the reason for leaving, if they ask.

Advertisement