Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security For Shed Window Self-Build

Options
  • 26-07-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    Just looking for a bit of info. I've been building my own wooden garden shed / workshop and am about to start constructing the two windows (not to mention the door but that's a different story). I've finished making and installing one of the window frames, which went fine, and am confident I'll manage the other one. As I haven't done it before, I'll be keeping the windows fairly simple; sash with sash bars (correct term?) with four glass panels. I'll be using 2x2 timber for the sashes and 2x1 timber for the "sash bars" (or whatever they're called).

Anyone have any suggestions what kinds of locks, hinges, handles, etc I should use that will give me a fairly decent level of security? My door will probably be quite secure but I don't want the windows to let it down. Unfortunately there's scant information on the web on building your own windows. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

would you consider shutters? that's the way I'd go personally - big bonus imo, is that they cant see into the shed to gauge if its worth busting into

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Do windows need to open?
    opening them assumes you will have easy access to them, in a shed, .....I never had it so I went with roof lights
    perhaps a decent extractor fan would do the job
    put glass with wire mesh in them

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 suburban guy

Thanks for the comments Wossack & Calahonda. Had considered shutters for aesthetics but your suggestion, Wossack, of shutters for security is interesting & so I'll definitely give them more thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There are no end of sash window locks available - they have been around since Victorian times.Have a look on fleabay. Are you using springs now that cast iron weights are obsolete ?

recipio wrote: »
    There are no end of sash window locks available - they have been around since Victorian times.Have a look on fleabay.

Did that, the search showed up 0 results.
    recipio wrote: »
    Are you using springs now that cast iron weights are obsolete ?

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,780 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could you go with those glass blocks? Other options would be metal bars outside restricting access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Did that, the search showed up 0 results.

What do you mean?

Sorry, thought you were making traditional sliding sash windows. They have a 'spiral balance ' mechanism instead of pully and weight.See www.mighton.co.uk for lots of info.

Ah ok, thanks recipio; no, much as I love the traditional sash window, I think it'd be beyond my DIY capabilities at the moment. I'll fire ahead and get whatever's available and do the best I can with the windows.

Advertisement