Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon

Options
  • 26-07-2016 4:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone done the Galway Bay Marathon in October?

Any reviews of previous years? They seem to run multiple laps for three different events at the same time on the same route, although with a staggered start times. Does that all work out OK, or do you end up getting tripped up by 10km and Half runners once they get released on the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Last year was the first to include marathon distance. Myself and the bogger did the half last year and I didn't notice any issues with different races.
    The 10k is over by the time the half starts anyway and it's pretty low numbers marathon wise...

It has its own website for more details rungalwaybay.ie I think...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

impression I got from it the organisers want to maximise profits

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

I did the half marathon, which consisted of two 10k loops. IIRC the marathon consisted of 4 laps.

Marathon started early and was well underway before the 10k and HM started. Didn't find the congestion too bad in the HM but you will find marathon and half marathon participants lapping each other. I do remember a bit of curb hoping and two very tight turn around points.

There was an ok spread afterwards I think.

Last years race:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057457695

Definitely more of a "for-profit" than a club race

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Think there was only about 200 doing the full last year, I ran the half and remember while I was warming up there was lads running the full. Nice flat course with only one small hill at the far end of the course. The full is four loops of the course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Did it last year. 10K starts a little after the marathon so It wasnt an issue. Field well spread out by the time the half start. I reckon the half runners help as the field is not that deep at point end so you would have someone to pace off for the last bit if you where going for a time.

Course is imo hard, Concrete surface on the Prom and each loop has the turn around at the bottom of a hill. If its windy its very open and been on the seafront normally a bit stiffer then inland.

It is a for profit race (ltd company) but RD is an ex Marathon/Ultra runner. I have ran this twice, never had an issue in how the race was ran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Hi,
    I did the marathon last year. Personally I didn't find the course itself hard but the fact that there were 4 loops was tough. Also I found the congestion on the prom from the half extremely testing....in the last 3 miles of a marathon you don't want to have to be running around large groups walking and people with their dogs. In the last 100m of the marathon I had to get onto the grass to run around a group of about 12 girls to get to the finish as they would not let me through (probably not on purpose but they were just oblivious.) V frustrating! I might just been unlucky with times though!
    Overall enjoyed it (as much as it's possible to enjoy a marathon!) Plenty of portaloos, no bother with parking, no queues, but will be doing Dublin again this year for the support and the pacers!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ploughon

Hi Folks,

I also did the full last year.

You run two short laps around the Claddagh, then 4 loops out Salthill on the road and back on the prom

PROS,
    the laps suited me (psychologically) I know not every one likes loops,
    the fist two short laps are over in a flash and then you can break the race into 4 blocks of 6 miles.
    If you have a supporter they could stay at the start of salthill and hand you gels etc on the way out and back, no need to carry anything.
    Flat course...only one small drag lasts about 400m (as far as I can remember).
    Plenty of water stations.
    Well organised. Friendly marshals.
    Organised by runners, you can tell.
    Most portaloos Ive ever seen at a race, and very welcome on race day.
    Great course for a PB if you get the weather

CONS
    Course is very exposed if its windy.
    The turnarounds break your momentum a little, which isnt a problem in the first half, but it was an issue for me towards the end, but it is something you could train for.
    If you are going for a time, check the start times of the 10k and half, you can get caught up and might have to adjust your pacing to miss those starts as their is congestion for about half a mile from the start area up to where the course opens up again.
    I ran most of the race alone, that might change as the full gets more popular.
    Concrete on the prom and dog walkers out towards the end of the race.

All in all I think this is a great race and well worth a go.
    If you are doing it, train for turnarounds, do some hill/drag training!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Anyone else in for the full?? Was rejected for Dublin so switching tack for Galway.

20 mile lsr this morning, went well so hope to be on track. Not looking forward to the winds and the loops, otherwise can't wait ☺

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Anyone else in for the full?? Was rejected for Dublin so switching tack for Galway.

20 mile lsr this morning, went well so hope to be on track. Not looking forward to the winds and the loops, otherwise can't wait ☺

Just doing the half myself. Went to enter the athlone half which I normally do but it was sold out..Thought about charleville but decided to throw all my eggs in the galway half instead.

What kinda timeare you looking for???

Was hoping for 3:20 - 3:25 in Dublin - but with 4 weeks less training along with the wind and the loops (I'm scared of both!!) if I get through in 3:30 I'll be happy... well that's what I'm telling myself now, we'll see how the next few weeks training go, I might get a fit of confidence :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Change of plans for me and support crew now and I'll be running a very hilly and slow marathon in Wales instead this time round which gives me an extra month or so to try and get some miles in that have been seriously lacking for the last while. Will possibly be back looking at Galway as an option for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

robinph wrote: »
    Change of plans for me and support crew now and I'll be running a very hilly and slow marathon in Wales instead this time round which gives me an extra month or so to try and get some miles in that have been seriously lacking for the last while. Will possibly be back looking at Galway as an option for next year.

Snowdonia?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Enduro wrote: »
    Snowdonia?

Not quite that hilly. :)

Gower in the middle of November.

Hi pudgevdev,
    Good luck with it and hopefully you will get a reasonable day.

As the course is a loop, if your near Galway or passing through some day, 6 miles or so will take you around.
    Worth doing if you can, you will know what's ahead of you on the day.

If the start times are the same as last year you won't get caught in half start.
    Enjoy...
    Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Marathon now apparently sold out!!

TbL

Thanks Ploughon, I live in Salthill so will do a few loops over the next couple weeks. Any time I run only do a single loop, and I know the wind in Salthill can be ferocious (it doesn't tend to give you when it's on your back what it takes away when it's in your face).

It's all in my head, but I can't imagine the crowd doing the marathon will be massive so I can see myself spending a nice chunk of time with my own thoughts! :eek:

Hopefully all goes well, good luck all!

Thanks Ploughon, I live in Salthill so will do a few loops over the next couple weeks. Any time I run only do a single loop, and I know the wind in Salthill can be ferocious (it doesn't tend to give you when it's on your back what it takes away when it's in your face).

It's all in my head, but I can't imagine the crowd doing the marathon will be massive so I can see myself spending a nice chunk of time with my own thoughts! :eek:

Hopefully all goes well, good luck all!

Hi Pudgeydev,

if you live in Salthill you'll know every inch of the course.

Is there a pacing group for you to fall in with? Somewhere to shelter if needs be.

Hopefully you will get a day like last year, which was pretty much perfect marathon conditions.

3:20 - 3:30 I'm hoping for. Might go in with the 3:30s for the first couple miles and see how it goes. Yeah lotta advantages of doing a 'home' marathon, hopefully all goes well!

From your cons section , the roads aren't blocked off meaning you're on the footpath rather than the road, right?

3:20 - 3:30 I'm hoping for. Might go in with the 3:30s for the first couple miles and see how it goes. Yeah lotta advantages of doing a 'home' marathon, hopefully all goes well!

From your cons section , the roads aren't blocked off meaning you're on the footpath rather than the road, right?

They block off one side of the road.
    Your on the half of the road that is blocked off on the way out to Gentian Hill, and on the path/prom on the way back towards the Claddagh.

Good plan to go with the 3.30 crew and tuck in for a few miles, even the first half and see how you feel. If the day is windy you could even stick with them up to 18/20 miles and push on from there if you feel fresh.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Anyone have a full marathon entry they can't use? Hubby missed out and was all set for it.

• Advertisement

Siobh73 wrote: »
    Anyone have a full marathon entry they can't use? Hubby missed out and was all set for it.

Hi Siobh73,

send an email to the organisers and plead your case, they might have people who pulled out or differed their entries and sort you out...worth a try.

Hi pudgeydev,

one more tip I though for you while I was out this morn.

Around mile 8, 14 and 20 (I think) you come back into the start/finish area, and the place is full of supporters and people getting ready for the 10k and half.
    With all the buzz and support its easy to get carried away when you come through that section and find yourself running faster than you should, and pay for it later.
    Looking at my splits from last year, that certainly happened to me.
    If I was doing Galway again, it would be a few deep breaths when you come back into the crowds, hold your pace and put the buzz in your tank to be cashed in around mile 23!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

ploughon wrote: »
    Hi Siobh73,

send an email to the organisers and plead your case, they might have people who pulled out or differed their entries and sort you out...worth a try.

This :) They were really good to me last year giving me a 10k entry after it had sold out. I'd been keeping an eye on their webpage, but not facebook and it was updated on facebook only that it was selling out/sold out but it wasn't until i went to sign up that I discovered it had been sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

We have emailed a plea guys so fingers crossed

Siobh73 wrote: »
    We have emailed a plea guys so fingers crossed

How did ya get on??

Going to try another 20 mile run today as last lsr, hopefully all goes well!

Hope everyone's training is going well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

How did ya get on??

Going to try another 20 mile run today as last lsr, hopefully all goes well!

Hope everyone's training is going well :-)

Hoping to do the half but deciding for definite after tomorrow's LSR. I'm not feeling the best prepared. Have you done it before?

ariana` wrote: »
    Hoping to do the half but deciding for definite after tomorrow's LSR. I'm not feeling the best prepared. Have you done it before?

First time doing the full here - living in Galway so know the route. Got through 20 miles earlier so happy out, time to taper!

Good luck with the LSR tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I'm debating whether to do the 'half' or not. Done it last year,not sure whether I've enough interest to pay e45 plus travel expenses to do the same thing again....I could certainly finish a half,how fast is another matter, training has focused largely on shorter but faster distances.

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to do the 'half' or not. Done it last year,not sure whether I've enough interest to pay e45 plus travel expenses to do the same thing again....I could certainly finish a half,how fast is another matter, training has focused largely on shorter but faster distances.

Travel expenses??? I always thought you were a galway city resident, must have you mixed up with someone else ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Travel expenses??? I always thought you were a galway city resident, must have you mixed up with someone else ðŸ˜
    I did attend NUIG and visit frequently but no live in Clare....

Advertisement