Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to do the 'half' or not. Done it last year,not sure whether I've enough interest to pay e45 plus travel expenses to do the same thing again....I could certainly finish a half,how fast is another matter, training has focused largely on shorter but faster distances.

Any tips on the half, it will be my 1st, feeling a bit scared :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

ariana` wrote: »
    Any tips on the half, it will be my 1st, feeling a bit scared :o
    not really,how has your training gone ? A garmin or some form of a timer is a big help. Maybe have an idea as to what pace you plan to do per mile? Good luckðŸ˜႒

not really,how has your training gone ? A garmin or some form of a timer is a big help. Maybe have an idea as to what pace you plan to do per mile? Good luckðŸ˜႒

Although I kinda feel that 'first-time' is more about completion, the next time you can try to do a bit betterðŸ˜႒

Thanks. Training has only been mediocre. My longest run was 11.2miles (18k) @ 10:18 average. I'm thinking of joining the 2hr 15m pace group but i've no experience running with a pacer. I just hope it's not blowing a gale on the day :rolleyes:

Thanks. Training has only been mediocre. My longest run was 11.2miles (18k) @ 10:18 average. I'm thinking of joining the 2hr 15m pace group but i've no experience running with a pacer. I just hope it's not blowing a gale on the day :rolleyes:

Well if your comfortable doing 11.2 miles you should be OK with 13.1,once you don't 'go out too fast'. From experience I tend to go faster 'on the day' than in training. Most people do. There's no right or wrong answer as to whether to use a pacer or not. But I've personally found them of benefit in the second half of a race,when I've been fading,they have made it easier to 'hang on' and maintain a pace. Even If there is a gale it might be in your favour,it blew us home in the 'Streets of Galway' , I needed itðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

Well if your comfortable doing 11.2 miles you should be OK with 13.1,once you don't 'go out too fast'. From experience I tend to go faster 'on the day' than in training. Most people do. There's no right or wrong answer as to whether to use a pacer or not. But I've personally found them of benefit in the second half of a race,when I've been fading,they have made it easier to 'hang on' and maintain a pace. Even If there is a gale it might be in your favour,it blew us home in the 'Streets of Galway' , I needed itðŸ˜႒

Hehe i forgot that, the last 2k of SOG were a breeze alright :)

I think my doubts about the pacer are because i feel i'm between groups, bit scared if i go with the 2hr group it'll be too fast and i'll regret it later on in the race. But i wonder if i'm underselling myself if i go with 2hr 15min. Realistically i think i should go with 2hr 15 & use it as a bench mark for the next one (oooops did i just say next one :eek:)

I personally think you would be 'selling yourself short' if you stick with the 2'15 pacers from the start. If you do your ensuring that 2'15 is the very best you can do. If I was you (and I'm not) I'd do my own thing and see where I am with 5 miles to go. By that I mean be comfortable in the pace that your doing,comfortable that you can sustain it. If your near the 2 hour pacers by then, (you never know) maybe try to stick with them. Or if the going is tough you might see the 2'15's and avail of their services thenðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

hi all,

Myself and a friend will be doing the half marathon. Our plan is to travel to Galway by train on Saturday morning. It arrives at 11.13 and the race begins in the Claddagh an hour later. The only problem is that we have no time to collect the race packs (which are to be collected at Lifestyle Sports at the Headford Road retail park). I've emailed the organisers to see if they can bring the packs to the start and that we collect them there, but there's no response from them yet.

It's a long shot, but would there be anybody here who is doing the half marathon who would be able to collect our packs for us? Happy to buy a celebratory/recovery pint for you afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ploughon

Hi Folks,

best of luck to you all on Sat,

the long term forecast is looking good at this point. Enjoy! :)

07:00–13:00
    04.png0 mmvindpil.0000.010.pngLight air, 1 m/s from north-northeast

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

zulutango wrote: »
    hi all,

Myself and a friend will be doing the half marathon. Our plan is to travel to Galway by train on Saturday morning. It arrives at 11.13 and the race begins in the Claddagh an hour later. The only problem is that we have no time to collect the race packs (which are to be collected at Lifestyle Sports at the Headford Road retail park). I've emailed the organisers to see if they can bring the packs to the start and that we collect them there, but there's no response from them yet.

It's a long shot, but would there be anybody here who is doing the half marathon who would be able to collect our packs for us? Happy to buy a celebratory/recovery pint for you afterwards!

Hiya just pmd you there if your still stuck

• Advertisement

How did it go Ariana?ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Did the full - you couldn't have asked for better conditions. No rain, very little wind. The course was fine but, like Ploughon said it's difficult doing the last loop and having to weave past people walking along the prom, with dogs and buggies.

I clocked myself 3:27:XX but official times today had me 3:28:XX. Either way I was hoping for less than 3:20-3:30 and had a small chest infection all week so well happy to get under the 3 and a half.

There was water, and sweets at the end of the prom. I wasn't offered Lucozade or energy drinks (I say 'I wasn't offered' rather than 'wasn't there' cos I saw some orange drinks at the claddagh but nothing was handed out, to me anyway).

I know some people who did the half and the 10k, all were happy with it that I spoke to. In any case, enjoyed it, glad I did it! I hope the rest of you got the times you were after!

Did the half marathon but they got my time wrong by about 25 minutes! Also, I'm pretty sure the course was a few hundred metres long which was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Did the half marathon but they got my time wrong by about 25 minutes! Also, I'm pretty sure the course was a few hundred metres long which was annoying.

My garmin figures I did 26.5miles but I believe that's normal enough in that they measure the shortest possible route to be the exact distance. So if you're going long corners or weaving it adds adds to your total. So I heard anyways!

25 minutes out though, holy moley... I might have done sub 3 myself so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Email redtag timing about it. Give them your details and what you were wearing ect and they will verify it through video.
    They are usually very good at responding to such requests.

FYI Results posted are still provisional and changes may still be made.
    I had the half distance as being correct.

Hope you enjoyed it anyway, was nice to have a nice day for it again :)

Thanks! I'll do that :)

It was a beautiful day alright. What way did you measure the half distance? I used a Garmin and have it at 21.3km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thanks! I'll do that :)

It was a beautiful day alright. What way did you measure the half distance? I used a Garmin and have it at 21.3km.

Gamin measured it at 13.2 miles. Perfectly acceptable in my eyes. The bit of weaving, not sticking to the racing line and turning 180degrees around a cone(twice) all make it difficult for an already slightly less the perfect measuring device.

If it came in at 13.5/13.6 it would raise alarm bells...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭deisedude

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Gamin measured it at 13.2 miles. Perfectly acceptable in my eyes. The bit of weaving, not sticking to the racing line and turning 180degrees around a cone(twice) all make it difficult for an already slightly less the perfect measuring device.

If it came in at 13.5/13.6 it would raise alarm bells...

Ya, think my Garmin was 13.3 but I pressed it before going over the start line.

First half marathon and really enjoyed the event I must say. Only downside was lack of water on the course when I got to mile 11 but the refreshments in the tent after were great

It's just that the other races I've done since getting the Garmin (this summer) have been spot on, and also the difference in the distance I measured and the official distance meant I didn't break the elusive 90 mins! :(

How did it go Ariana?ðŸ˜႒

Good thanks. I was happy with it. I didn't run with either pace group in the end, i got in under 2hrs 10min which was my goal.

My garmin measured the course as 13.2 which is perfectly acceptable to me too.

No water for the last 5 miles was tough, that was my only organisational complaint. Well that and getting what i believe was last year's t-shirt cos they were all out of this years in my size :o

The conditions were perfect and the course was nice, flat & scenic. I won't rule out doing it again :)

• Advertisement

Good thanks. I was happy with it. I didn't run with either pace group in the end, i got in under 2hrs 10min which was my goal.

My garmin measured the course as 13.2 which is perfectly acceptable to me too.

No water for the last 5 miles was tough, that was my only organisational complaint. Well that and getting what i believe was last year's t-shirt cos they were all out of this years in my size :o

The conditions were perfect and the course was nice, flat & scenic. I won't rule out doing it again :)
    Very well doneðŸ˜႒

Very well doneðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

First time running the half.
    Positives;
    Fantastic scenery
    Beautiful weather
    2 hr pacer was super encouraging

Negatives;
    Mentally tough loop the looping the circuit
    By 240pm stewards were tidying away cones around the circuit and I thought that this was a bit disengenious and discouraging to runners still on course. Some runners asked me if I had any water as there was none on course. So I felt that anyone over 2:25 for half marathon was an inconvenience. Would love to know others thoughts.

Positives
    Beautiful scenery
    Flat course
    Great spread at the end!
    Very efficient organisation
    Great encouragement from the stewards along the way (especially the guy with the beard!!)
    Road closure worked very well.
    Bottles rather than cups.

Negatives
    Distance wasn't accurate enough
    They could have covered the bags to stop them from getting wet when the rain came
    Issues with timing. Mine is still being shown as 25 mins slower than my actual time.

Did anyone go to the after party in The Quays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

^^ How was the distance not accurate enough for you??

AlanPat wrote: »
    First time running the half.
    Positives;
    Fantastic scenery
    Beautiful weather
    2 hr pacer was super encouraging

Negatives;
    Mentally tough loop the looping the circuit
    By 240pm stewards were tidying away cones around the circuit and I thought that this was a bit disengenious and discouraging to runners still on course. Some runners asked me if I had any water as there was none on course. So I felt that anyone over 2:25 for half marathon was an inconvenience. Would love to know others thoughts.

If you thought the loops were hard there was a similar event (i.e. with the 3 distances) in Clarenbridge last month on a 5km circuit, so a half-marathon was 4+ laps and a full marathon was 8+ loops :eek: I think laps are becoming more common now for these events as it facilitates running multiple distance events at the same time or on the same day at least.

I agree the road closures ended at 2.30 and this was very optimistic for the half-marathoners, they could have ran this event a bit earlier to allow for slower finishers.

And running out of water was unforgiveable, it was a hot day too, i learnt my lesson though i'll be carrying my own water in future.

I wouldn't rule out doing it again despite the above. It was a nice flat course, reasonably good atmosphere, good support and encouragement from the stewards etc.. :)

sideswipe wrote:
    ^^ How was the distance not accurate enough for you??

It seemed to be a few hundred metres off. That's quite a lot compared to other races I've done and it's fairly significant if you're pushing for a personal best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

It seemed to be a few hundred metres off. That's quite a lot compared to other races I've done and it's fairly significant if you're pushing for a personal best.

Unless you went out and remeasured the course with a properly callibrated Jones Counter there is no way you can say it was long. Your watch showed 21.3 KM and that is absolutely normal for a GPS device. I know how disappointing it can be to miss out on a target time but blaming it on a long course without any evidence of this is just wrong.
    Take it as a lesson learned and next time go out and remember to run a few seconds per KM faster to allow for the discrepancy on your Garmin.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Unless you went out and remeasured the course with a properly callibrated Jones Counter there is no way you can say it was long. Your watch showed 21.3 KM and that is absolutely normal for a GPS device. I know how disappointing it can be to miss out on a target time but blaming it on a long course without any evidence of this is just wrong.
    Take it as a lesson learned and next time go out and remember to run a few seconds per KM faster to allow for the discrepancy on your Garmin.

I'm going by others measurements of it as well. Pretty much everybody I know who did it measured it as a couple of hundred metres long. As I said already, this hasn't been the case with other races I've completed so I think the criticism is valid. I will look into the accuracy of GPS devices these days, because my experience is that they are much more accurate than you suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I'm going by others measurements of it as well. Pretty much everybody I know who did it measured it as a couple of hundred metres long. As I said already, this hasn't been the case with other races I've completed so I think the criticism is valid. I will look into the accuracy of GPS devices these days, because my experience is that they are much more accurate than you suggest.

Fair enough. There are a couple of really good articles out there explaining why you will nearly always see your Garmin showing a longer distance than the certified course length.

In my experience I would be much more likely to question the length of a courser if the GPS device showed it as exactly the correct length. Remember the course is measured along the shortest possible route, its highly unlikely you ran that.

Advertisement