Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

zulutango wrote: »
    I'm going by others measurements of it as well. Pretty much everybody I know who did it measured it as a couple of hundred metres long. As I said already, this hasn't been the case with other races I've completed so I think the criticism is valid. I will look into the accuracy of GPS devices these days, because my experience is that they are much more accurate than you suggest.

This is bull. Course is officially measured with a jones counter. GPS is not accurate or reliable for course measurements. You did not run the shortest route no mater how well you think you kept to racing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

ger664 wrote: »
    This is bull. Course is officially measured with a jones counter. GPS is not accurate or reliable for course measurements. You did not run the shortest route no mater how well you think you kept to racing line.

What's bull exactly? That everybody I know recorded it as long? Or that other events I've done have been spot on?

Neither of the above are bull, I assure you.

The bull is that a certified course has to be long and is deliberately measured that way. Any race that is spot on on a GPS watch is therefore short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

For more on GPS Accuracy see:
    http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/
    Real-world data from the FAA show that their high-quality GPS SPS receivers provide better than 3.5 meter horizontal accuracy.

So at any point in time, if my garmin is as accurate as the FAA equipment, it could be 3.5 meters out.
    Let's say I am running for 2 hours and my garmin is sampling at once per sec, then there are 7200 opportunities to be 3.5m out.
    If your garmin reads exactly the expected distance (e.g. 13.1 miles) then you should probably do the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 squirrel84

Competed in the marathon. Fantastic event, Lots of toilets, water & sweets on the course. Ran 26.45 mile for the marathon which is to be expected. Course measurement is accurate for the full.Previously I have ran the big city marathons across Europe with the racing line painted on the road & still would have run in excess of 26.2 mile would be more concerned if GPS measured 26.2.
    Would like to have got more splits from timing company when running 4 laps, could have easily crossed a timing mat at start finish each time. 1 particular group of 10K walkers walking 5/6 abreast with buggies along the narrow section where we did the U-Turn caused slight frustration but this was a once off & just happened to occur on narrow section of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 squirrel84

Anyone have a link to photographs from the weekend? Are they on Flickr?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭deisedude

squirrel84 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to photographs from the weekend? Are they on Flickr?

I got an email with a link to the official photos. Tenner a photo is a bit ridiculous

deisedude wrote: »
    I got an email with a link to the official photos. Tenner a photo is a bit ridiculous

Never buy the commercial marathon photos but €10 is an okay price for a good quality snap. Big city marathons tend to be €20+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ger664 wrote: »
    deisedude wrote: »

Never buy the commercial marathon photos but 10 is an okay price for a good quality snap. Big city marathons tend to be 20+

Don't blame you not buying them Ger, sure where would you put your pictures, the state of ya :)

TbL

Advertisement