Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended tyres for commuting

Options
  • 26-07-2016 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I've a Lapierre Shaper 500 Hybrid that I'm using for commuting 3 days a week and the odd Sunday spin. The thing is that it came with Hutchinson Nitro tyres and theses look really slick so I doubt that they would be very anti-puncture.

I'm not too concerned about weight/performance but I'm hoping to get something that are as puncture proof as possible (within reason). I got an email from Chain Reaction about decent discounts on Schwalbe tyres.Both the Durano Plus and the Marathon Plus have 'smart guard' which they say gives great puncture protection. The reviews are good as well -
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/r-pm/schwalbeextra16wk29

Does anyone have either of these and would these be a good choice for what I am looking for? Any other alternatives??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Oh, forgot to say that the tyres on my bike are 28 wide. There's an option with the Marathon Plus to go for 32, would this make any difference? Tbh, I'm more leaning towards the Durano Plus (28)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Schwalbe Marathons all the way. Good in all weathers (will get you home through the snow, just don't go mad), and basically never puncture. I just checked my orders and I've been running my current pair on my commuter since November 2014 without a puncture. Probably the guts of 8,000km.

Cue puncture on the way home.

I'm running 1.25" (~32's) out of necessity because I've got MTB wheels on my commuter. The difference is basically speed -v- comfort. I run mine at 80PSI though so I don't struggle much speedwise on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

I've had marathon touring 25mm on my commuter (old road bike) since July 2014 - done lots of commuting (Lucan to Dublin city centre) and plenty of training runs (all over Wicklow and Kildare) with no punctures until last week when something nearly sliced the rear tyre in half. The tyre is destroyed, but it lasted me 2 years with no punctures so I'm not complaining. Very happy with the puncture resistance so I stuck and new marathon plus on the back.

Just remember to regularly check for glass embedded in the tyres and keep the pressure up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Durano Plus here on my commute bike 10miles each way through Dublin city centre every day and haven't had a puncture since I changed to them in April 2015.

Comfort is not great is the downside.
    Dead weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For commuting, I use Marathon Plus. They are heavy though.

If I was back in single bike territory again (which I hope will be never :) ) for use commuting and spins, I'd probably compromise a bit on the puncture resistance tbh. When I had only one bike, rider weight was more of a concern!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks for the feedback everyone - much appreciated. Reading the reviews, I think I'll push ahead with the Durano Plus. Fair enough, they may not be as puncture proof as the Marathons, but the have the same 5mm of rubber protection and are half the weight. They will be a big step up from what I have and I think are suited better for my wheels. If I had wider rims, then I'd be looking at the Marathons.

This is my plan to avoid buying a toolbag and spare tyre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even with the marathon plus, I always carry a tube and pump!

Advertisement