Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roche to BMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Yea for sure, it would be a good move for him alright. Im not sure Porte has it for the grand tours though as mentioned in that article.
    So long as BMC dont go with a two leader approach to the Tour again they should do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Yea for sure, it would be a good move for him alright. Im not sure Porte has it for the grand tours though as mentioned in that article.
    So long as BMC dont go with a two leader approach to the Tour again they should do better.

The reason why this is a good move for Nico is he has finally I think realised that one day races may be where he can get results or at least make an impact even just attacking as this is his style and he likes to attack... and BMC have some good attacking riders ,,they seem a team where there is freedom at least

At SKY there are too many top climbers and selection for the Tour is hard to get ......But the worst part of being at SKY is he never got much freedom to attack in any race except this years Giro where he was not feeling well and had little form and last years Vuelta where he was going well until he had 2 crashes on different days

So when not helping Porte at ParisNice or at the Tour I am sure we will see more of him in breaks and off the front ..and leadership at the Vuelta & some Ardennes , especially now Gilbert is leaving BMC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There's a good few riders out of contract with BMC at the end of this season based on the transfers page on ProCyclingStats.
    I presume Porte is staying or we would have heard about it.

392752.PNG

Porte is staying . he spoke a few days ago about having a better team for the Tour in 2017 so I guess they are buying some more climbing doms

But even though IAM and Tinkoff are folding there are not many top climbing doms available out there as everyone wants them And SKY pay the highest so get the best
    Pantono already going to Trek as is Contador
    Kreuziger going to Katusha (rumour)
    Majka going as a leader to Bora (rumour)
    And then tere is the Bahrain team that will have Nibali (rumour) and he will need doms

So I'd say most of that BMC team wil renew...BMC does hang on to riders , pay well enough and are just as interested in a riders PR profile as they are in their results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Neither does Roche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

terrydel wrote: »

Neither does Roche.

That's true I agree forgot to add that thanks

terrydel wrote: »
    Neither does Roche.

He is talking about Van Garderen as co leader this year and what a mistake it turned out to be as BMC left Porte by the roadside with a mechanical that cost him 2nd place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

MPFGLB wrote: »
    He is talking about Van Garderen as co leader this year and what a mistake it turned out to be as BMC left Porte by the roadside with a mechanical that cost him 2nd place

Van Garderen wilts under the pressure of a tour, mentally not up to it.

Roche would be a good Dom for Porte at next years Tour de France. Apart from getting to ride the Tour de France, Roche will get other opportunities, maybe leader at the Vuelta and a few one day races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Is BMC really such a good option for Roche? He will probably only get a 1 year deal, and the teams future is in doubt beyond the end of next year as Rihs is looking to get out.....

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/bmc-looking-stop-team-sponsorship-254244

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Is BMC really such a good option for Roche? He will probably only get a 1 year deal, and the teams future is in doubt beyond the end of next year as Rihs is looking to get out.....

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/bmc-looking-stop-team-sponsorship-254244

Cycling Podcast discredited that report

As for the one year contract ...that is something I hadn't heard .a real about turn as BMC were offering 3 years contracts only recently..but maybe that is not such bad as keeps riders on their toes ...and if he is any good they'll keep him...and he is a good Dom and a pretty good rider

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I hope this is true. It'll be great not to feel conflicted about Sky anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

BMC is a positive option for Roche; I have always felt that TJ was over rated and somebody like Nicolas is probably as good as him and certainly a more instinctive attacking rider. He would surely ride TdF as a domestique for Porte- don't discount the likelihood that Porte can make the podium and it wouldn't surprise me if he was to win it if things went his way and if he had the right team in the next few years. They have been wasting their time backing the great white hope of America..
    Plus it would be interesting if Roche was to do one or two Belgian races; Kwiato did well for SKY the last while when he was given the option; of course he got dumped for the Tour however.

Kwiato and SKY I think is a disater for the rider. He si a fantastic rouler but left EQS the rouler /classics team to join SKY with the intention of 'learning' from Froome/SKY' to be a grand tour winner and so far this year he hasn't even ridden a grand tour and has one race win to his name ??

Brailsford saying Froome will lead at the Vuelta and Landa will be protected/lead...so Roche on dom duties I think...especially if leaving ..pity as in great form and does well in this race

Wonder will SKY keep Philip Deignan ....nothing at all from him in an age...not even racing...BMC could do with him also as good dom for the mountains and will not cost the earth ....

JK.BMC wrote: »
    They have been wasting their time backing the great white hope of America..

its an american registered team though so its only natural they'd push a big-name american.

Aren't Nico and Porte both with Trinity management? I wonder if Porte looked to have Nico come over.

From reading the stickybottle piece on Nico this morning one can't help think that he seems a little disillusioned where he is at the minute.

Will be an awful shame if he doesn't start the Vuelta. Froome has already announced he's starting it but, going by other years, he'll either not be that competitive, or he'll drop out around half-way during the race. I think Sky over-estimate the appeal of Froome outside of the UK. I really don't think the spanish public will care too much if he starts or not. They're more about their own riders, and/or other spanish speaking riders (eg: Chavez, if he gets a start).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Kwiato and SKY I think is a disater for the rider. He si a fantastic rouler but left EQS the rouler /classics team to join SKY with the intention of 'learning' from Froome/SKY' to be a grand tour winner and so far this year he hasn't even ridden a grand tour and has one race win to his name ??

Brailsford saying Froome will lead at the Vuelta and Landa will be protected/lead...so Roche on dom duties I think...especially if leaving ..pity as in great form and does well in this race

Wonder will SKY keep Philip Deignan ....nothing at all from him in an age...not even racing...BMC could do with him also as good dom for the mountains and will not cost the earth ....

Overall Sky have fairly ruined Kwiato as a world champion; he did manage to win E3 and he hasn't really been heard from since, as you say not even sighted in grand tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I think that is a bit of a reach to claim he is in good form. Has only raced the nationals and Tour of Poland since the Giro(where he was decidedly average).

The nationals were against a weak field (compared to a typical World Tour race) and in Poland he was pack fodder with the exception of a poorly judged breakaway on a sprint stage.

1bryan wrote: »
    its an american registered team though so its only natural they'd push a big-name american.

Aren't Nico and Porte both with Trinity management? I wonder if Porte looked to have Nico come over.

From reading the stickybottle piece on Nico this morning one can't help think that he seems a little disillusioned where he is at the minute.

Will be an awful shame if he doesn't start the Vuelta. Froome has already announced he's starting it but, going by other years, he'll either not be that competitive, or he'll drop out around half-way during the race. I think Sky over-estimate the appeal of Froome outside of the UK. I really don't think the spanish public will care too much if he starts or not. They're more about their own riders, and/or other spanish speaking riders (eg: Chavez, if he gets a start).

Porte did ...they are best of mates but also Porte rates Roche as a dom.

Roche may not even ride the Vuelta now :( ....SKy have alot of top doms looking for a GT start and if he is leaving ??

Spainsh will be all in for Contador & Purito ...both who will do well and both attacking riders and very popular as expected

Roche alos very popular with Spanish media becasue he does well in Vuelta and it helps he married a Spanish girl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Roche alos very popular with Spanish media becasue he does well in Vuelta and it helps he married a Spanish girl

And he also tries to speak Spanish to reporters.

cunavalos wrote: »
    I think that is a bit of a reach to claim he is in good form. Has only raced the nationals and Tour of Poland since the Giro(where he was decidedly average).

The nationals were against a weak field (compared to a typical World Tour race) and in Poland he was pack fodder with the exception of a poorly judged breakaway on a sprint stage.

The Giro was in May ...things can get better from then...it not a yard stick for form now. Poland cannot be considered becasue the weather ruined the race for lots of top riders ...except Wellens
    But that Roche was attacking of the front on sprint stage shows the form was coming.

I believe he has a shot at a stage win and a good GC ..but that is not any differnet to his previous Vuleta form excpet maybe this year without the exhaustion of a Tour in his legs . at least he had if riding and not a dom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If he is leaving sky and is riding in the Vuleta I wonder will he just do his own thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

godtabh wrote: »
    If he is leaving sky and is riding in the Vuleta I wonder will he just do his own thing?

If Sky thought there was more than the slightest chance of that then he would not be picked to ride the Vuelta. It would also seem to go against Roche's reputation as a real team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

cant see sky keeping him he was piss poor in the giro and never really seems to feature for them in anything, wonder will he have to take a drop down a level or who on the world tour will take him

neris wrote: »
    cant see sky keeping him he was piss poor in the giro and never really seems to feature for them in anything, wonder will he have to take a drop down a level or who on the world tour will take him

his preparation was hampered due to a broken arm.

I wouldn't say its a certainty by any means that they'll get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Overall Sky have fairly ruined Kwiato as a world champion; he did manage to win E3 and he hasn't really been heard from since, as you say not even sighted in grand tours.

commentator or podcaster said during TDF that they left him out of the sky squad as Sky thought he might go off and do his own thing during the race and not race for Froome

I thought he did OK in the Giro before quitting? Did he not put in a few hard shifts in the mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

wonder will he have to take a drop down a level or who on the world tour will take him

Eh...... for all intensive purposes it appears to be BMC.... you must have forgot to read the other posts in this thread :)

EDIT: Disregard the above, I'm the blind one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Eh...... for all intensive purposes it appears to be BMC.... you must have forgot to read the other posts in this thread :)

The previous question was about Deignan not Nico

BTW: its "all intents and purposes"!

Gosh hope Diegnan does the Vuelta ...put him in the shop window if in any form
    But he did not even do he nationals ??

He was out training with Nico and Sam Bennett before the Tour so he is not injured at least

The thing is if he could show any form he's get a contract as stated previously mountain doms are in high demand at present ...many teams do not have any and many teams have top 10 GC riders who they beieve can do better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Gosh hope Diegnan does the Vuelta ...put him in the shop window if in any form
    But he did not even do he nationals ??

He was out training with Nico and Sam Bennett before the Tour so he is not injured at least

The thing is if he could show any form he's get a contract as stated previously mountain doms are in high demand at present ...many teams do not have any and many teams have top 10 GC riders who they beieve can do better

Is Diegnan not the 3rd man at the Olympics ?? Just checked he is reserve

Advertisement