Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roche to BMC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I don't think there is any 3rd man at the Olympics ...but he would be next to be selected if eihter of the other 2 drop out ...but maybe not...could be Ryan Mullen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

letape wrote: »
    The previous question was about Deignan not Nico

BTW: its "all intents and purposes"!

Thanks and thanks again! :):o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

1bryan wrote: »

Froome has already announced he's starting it but, going by other years, he'll either not be that competitive, or he'll drop out around half-way during the race.

Froome will be competitive if he's riding it. Second to a fired up Contador two years ago and he only dropped out last year after he'd ridden 75km through the hardest GT stage ever seen with a broken foot. I'd imagine he'll be coming to this with a point to prove. That'll mean bringing his strongest team possible and realistically that might not include Nico. Good rider - Yes, but top 5 at Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Excerpt you don't need to be top 5 to ride the Vuelta

for one its a 9 man team and for another alot of riders who rode the Tour will not be at the Vuelta

Poles is not riding it and I doubt Thomas will
    Nieve also has 2 GTs done so not there

And when it comes to the Vuelta Roche is top 5 at SKy ...but I guess alot of Irish suppoters don't rate him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Froome will be competitive if he's riding it. Second to a fired up Contador two years ago and he only dropped out last year after he'd ridden 75km through the hardest GT stage ever seen with a broken foot. I'd imagine he'll be coming to this with a point to prove. That'll mean bringing his strongest team possible and realistically that might not include Nico. Good rider - Yes, but top 5 at Sky?

Sky's strongest team possible, for the Vuelta, definitely includes Roche. He is fresh and always does well at the race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think he has said it before that his favorite race is the Tour but his best performances come at the Vuelta. His form gets better as the season goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Daroxtar wrote: »

based on previous years, he won't be. Since he started cycling in 2011 (yes, I went there) he hasn't been competitive in 2 grand tours any year. No reason to think that'll change this year.

I always feel theres an element of tokenism about Froome lining up at the start of the Vuelta (since 2011).

Its clearly the least of the grand tours as far as Sky are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

1bryan wrote: »
    based on previous years, he won't be. Since he started cycling in 2011 (yes, I went there) he hasn't been competitive in 2 grand tours any year. No reason to think that'll change this year.

I always feel theres an element of tokenism about Froome lining up at the start of the Vuelta (since 2011).

Its clearly the least of the grand tours as far as Sky are concerned.

I'm not sure. Froome looked fairly fresh after the Tour. He was not put under much pressure really. Maybe he'll give it a proper turn this year.

Advertisement