Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CUMH 20 week scan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Anyone know what the story is with Holles st for anomaly scans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think anatomy scans are routinely offered to mothers in Holles St but cannot be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Considering there was no 12 week scan, I would certainly hope so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Anomaly scans are routine for everyone in Holles street no matter which level of care is chosen. You are advised to ring to book the scan when you receive your letter confirming you've booked your pregnancy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 arroxo2

First scan should check anomalities (provided by free in UK and most countries in Europe), but due to abortion status in Ireland the anomalities check (as part of your first scan) is not performed (only in a few risky cases). First scan should take about 25-30min (in CUMH takes 5 min).
    Same for diabetis (test is only performed depending on your family history: this has no sense, it also exists the "temporary diabetis" in many pregnancies as happened to my wife) and a blood test should be performed as standard for it.

You have two options:
    - Option1 - Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) or "Harmony Test", accuracy of 99.9%
    - Option 2- Combined Testing (Triple Screen Test), accuracy of 75-85%, at 10-13 weeks (preferrably)

Both are to detect Trisomy 13, 18 or 21 (Down syndrone) and other chromosomal anomalities.
    Option 1 by means of blood test (DNA analysis). Option 2 by means of blood test + scan + age factors (Statistic, google "fetalmedicine.org/calculator/trisomies").
    When Option 2 is not enough an INVASIVE test can be done (Amniocentesis) to confirm results.
    Both (1 and 2) can be done in CUMH (Cork maternity Hospital): Option 1 for 330eu, Option 2 for 150eu (ask your Midwife during first pregnancy appointment, as it must be done after 1st free basic scan). Hospital sends blood samples to UK/USA and them receive results. This info is not provided unless you ask for it (phone is zero two one four nine two zero five five zero)
    You can do them in private clinics for 2 or 3 times price. Option 2 is provided for free in UK and most european countries (but some in eastern europe).

• Advertisement

ANOMALIES TESTS CAN BE DONE IN CUMH (see previous post)

mistake: 150eu and 330pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Sanymc

Never got one even high risk pregnancy. So i ended up getting scan privatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

I would pick a different hospital if there was no anomaly scan planned as part of my care. So many things that can be picked up on at ~20 weeks and care can be planned properly in advance.

12 weeks (with NT measurement and bloods for quad test) and 20 weeks (anatomy scan) were standard for everyone at my hospital with quite a lot getting one around 32-36 weeks as well if there were risk factors, breech baby etc. That should be the minimum - anything less is a bit irresponsible on the part of the hospital.

Only one maternity hospital in Cork

Sanymc wrote: »
    Never got one even high risk pregnancy. So i ended up getting scan privatley.

Same here..went private both times for a big scan.
    This time round for me I am classed as high risk due to few things so getting my first scan at 8 weeks ... Will be interesting to see if i get anomaly scan as i was on psychiatric meds which they dont know affect on baby prior to finding out I was pregnant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

aisling86 wrote: »
    You need to meet certain criteria to get an anomaly scan in CUMH - high bmi, family disease, age etc.... You would have been told fetal assesment would contact you with a date closer to the time. If you have a date & time now it's just your standard 20wk appointment which is a quick scan.
    Does anyone know at what age they start offering anomaly scans in CUMH? I am pregnant with my second child and will be 38 when this little one arrives. I definitely want to get an anomaly scan done. What are the costs roughly of getting one done privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

ncmc wrote: »
    Does anyone know at what age they start offering anomaly scans in CUMH? I am pregnant with my second child and will be 38 when this little one arrives. I definitely want to get an anomaly scan done. What are the costs roughly of getting one done privately?

I'm currently 36 weeks and had none offered to me at my 20 week visit (although I had asked) so I ended up getting a private one in the consultants clinic behind the hospital (if you google COGA) at €180 I think from memory. It was definitely money well spent they were very thorough and we were ages in there.

I'm currently 36 weeks and had none offered to me at my 20 week visit (although I had asked) so I ended up getting a private one in the consultants clinic behind the hospital (if you google COGA) at €180 I think from memory. It was definitely money well spent they were very thorough and we were ages in there.
    Thanks StarBright, €180 isn't bad at all, I will definitely look in to that. Is the 20 week anomaly scan a better option than the Nuchel fold test? I think the latter is just for DS whereas the former covers more anomalies? I can't afford to do both so just wondering which is the best to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nuchal fold and quad test are at 12 weeks for Downs (and other trisomies).

20 week scan shows more but I'd want both tbh.

Nuchal fold and quad test are at 12 weeks for Downs (and other trisomies).

20 week scan shows more but I'd want both tbh.
    It's so unfair that you have to fork out €350 if you want the two of these in Cork, yet in other parts of the country it's included as standard. It's unfuriating in this day and age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I had Panorama (same as Harmony) test done in Rotunda RCSI Fetal Medicine Centre for 350 euro - picks up chromosomal abnormalities like Down's with 99.9% accuracy. Sample is your own blood so (basically) risk-free and results back within 7-10 days. Option to learn sex if you like. Can be done from 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    I had Panorama (same as Harmony) test done in Rotunda RCSI Fetal Medicine Centre for 350 euro - picks up chromosomal abnormalities like Down's with 99.9% accuracy. Sample is your own blood so (basically) risk-free and results back within 7-10 days. Option to learn sex if you like. Can be done from 9 weeks.

I'm getting this done in the Irish Maternal Fetal Foundation - was told about it my by GP. They do the blood test and a scan to make sure everything is at is should be at that stage. Its also 350 Euro currently.

ncmc wrote: »

As you are older, you will probably be classed as high risk and get one then. Ask at booking app

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

As you are older, you will probably be classed as high risk and get one then. Ask at booking app

Anyone know what the story currently is with scans in CUMH now? Will it be only one as a public patient?I'm waiting on my dating scan, is the nuchal test an extra €150 or can it be requested at the dating scan? Do they offer the 20 week scan if you are over a certain age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

jadie wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story currently is with scans in CUMH now? Will it be only one as a public patient?I'm waiting on my dating scan, is the nuchal test an extra €150 or can it be requested at the dating scan? Do they offer the 20 week scan if you are over a certain age?

They seem to take their time with the scans.

Make an appointment for the early pregnancy unit and you'll get one in days, we did, we're having twins, main scan still a few weeks away.

• Advertisement

They seem to take their time with the scans.

Make an appointment for the early pregnancy unit and you'll get one in days, we did, we're having twins, main scan still a few weeks away.

I've been thinking about it now for the past few hours and I may just go with the 20 week scan instead of the one that just tests for down's. Is this offered over certain age? Or not at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had my 12 week dating scan and a very quick 5 min scan at my 20 week appointment. They don't do anomaly scans unless you have a risk factor. If you want to book a private anomaly scan book it early. I tried to book when I was 18 weeks for 6 weeks later and they were all booked up. Have to go to tralee to get it now.

bee06 wrote: »
    I had my 12 week dating scan and a very quick 5 min scan at my 20 week appointment. They don't do anomaly scans unless you have a risk factor. If you want to book a private anomaly scan book it early. I tried to book when I was 18 weeks for 6 weeks later and they were all booked up. Have to go to tralee to get it now.

Thanks for the info, what would be the high risk factors do you know?

Thanks for the info, what would be the high risk factors do you know?

Don't have a clue other than not me. If age is a factor it must be older than 35 anyway. I don't have any other risk factors though to narrow it down.

Don't have a clue other than not me. If age is a factor it must be older than 35 anyway. I don't have any other risk factors though to narrow it down.

Thanks again, this is all new to me. Where did you try to book the anamoly scan that was booked out?

Thanks again, this is all new to me. Where did you try to book the anamoly scan that was booked out?

Cork mother and baby scans. It's across the road from CUMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It’s 39 in Ireland

Advertisement