Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colnago retro frame: gearing advice urgently needed

Options
  • 26-07-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi I'm just wondering if you could help me. I've an old Colnago steel frame from the 80s.
    People familiar with 80s and early 90s bikes would know that the low level gearing on them was particularly bad. I want to re-build the bike with a triple chainset to give me *low* gearing, but since I'm not a bike mechanic, there are MANY compatibility issues which I am facing.

I have a 6 speed block and chain. Both have been barely used. Mavic MA40 rims. They 'seem' fine, but would welcome any advice re. possible internal aluminium corrosion in bearings etc.?
    Anyway, I strongly believe that we should use-out equipment as much as possible as the earth does not have infinite resources.
    The block is a 13-14-15-17-19-21. I want to fit a 52-42-30 (or 28, whichever).

My questions are as follows:

1. Nearly all the triple cranks I can find on ebay are listed as 9 and 10 speeds. Would my 6 six speed chain pose problems on this crank? If so, what kind? And would it really matter too much?

2. Would a 9 speed rear derailleur clash with the 6 speed chain? Again, how? And would it really matter?

3. Would it *have* to be a "long cage" derailleur? Would a "medium cage" derailleur do? What would happen if the cage length is wrong??
    It being a Colnago, I'd love to furnish it with some beautiful Campag equipment. They work really nice, and look really nice and just obviously go hand-in-hand with a Colnago.

I've tried three bicycle shops who have said they're not interested, can't get the parts, the parts are just too expensive and that they are afraid of taking the chance of ordering in case of incompatibility and thence would not be able to return the parts etc. Joy...
    Some have suggested going for a wide range 7 speed block instead, but I don't fancy this as besides the fact that I'm not even sure if a wider 7 speed block will fit between the stays, it would also mean big jumps in gearing.

Seriously though boards.ie sages! If you could help out at all it would mean a lot to me. I want to ride it again as a long-distance training bike. I raced the frame a lot in the 80s and 90s. It's a good quality steel frame, is light, strong and never, ever, gave me goddamn road buzz!! The aluminium hybrid I'm training on at the moment is absolutely *killing* me with jarring road buzz. My hands ache after an hour and my back hurts from all the vibrations. It's actually turning me off training. So I really want to get my old steel back on the road.
    If you can help out it would be great. ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sionnach7

I can't delete this thread. I wanted to do a 'quick edit', and hit "Edit" on the bottom right corner.
    Brought me to a blank page!! Tried again, same thing!
    Hit back button, went back into what I think was the original compose mode, did my edit, and then, as had no other choice, hit the "New thread" button.

Have ended up with TWO threads. Sorry about this, only new here.

Advertisement