Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I afford to pay this much rent?

Options
  • 26-07-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I would like to hear people's opinions on this.

Could someone on a salary of 28k afford rent of €650 per month (bills included)?

Genuine question. Realistic answers please.

Thanks
    HW

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A single person on 28k should be taking home around €1956 per month after usual deductions.

After rent/bills of €650 that leaves around €1,300.

It's not going to be a caviar and champagne lifestyle but it's not starvation rations either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Graham wrote: »
    A single person on 28k should be taking home around €1956 per month after usual deductions.

After rent/bills of €650 that leaves around €1,300.

It's not going to be a caviar and champagne lifestyle but it's not starvation rations either.

Pretty much bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Pretty much bang on.

You can live on it. Personally 1/3 of your take home going on rent is the absolute limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

You'll need to budget obviously but yes, it's manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm sorry, but that's not really an answer anyone here can give you. Sure you may be able to afford to pay €650 in rent a month, but it might not with the lifestyle you have in mind. We have no idea of other outgoings you might have, savings goals etc.

Have you prepared a monthly budget? That's the only way to really know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you run a car and pay 600 per month to finance it in addition to running costs, no, you cannot afford 650 for rent. If on the other hand you don't have a car and walk to work, you should easily afford the rent.
    In short, not enough info to accurately comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I save €200 per month, and I have €150 going into my pension. Phone bill is €50, petrol is approx €50 per month.

I think I may have to scrap the savings and pension. Is this wise though? I'm 26 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Brobromococo

Good lord, I have 200e left to spend for the MONTH after my rent and bills, I am just an average 29 year old nurse living with my partner and our baby. If we get by every month there is no reason you cannot.

Good lord, I have 200e left to spend for the MONTH after my rent and bills, I am just an average 29 year old nurse living with my partner and our baby. If we get by every month there is no reason you cannot.

I guess this is what I need, a reality check.

I am brutal with money. Every month I am back down to zero the day before payday. I'm hoping this will help train and discipline me where budgeting is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

eeguy wrote: »
    You can live on it. Personally 1/3 of your take home going on rent is the absolute limit.

Depends what you're spending on transport and food.

Personally I'd rather pay more rent and live somewhere walkable with a Lidl or Aldi within range, than the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I think I may have to scrap the savings and pension. Is this wise though? I'm 26 btw.

No, not in the slightest.

Not that you have a choice anyway, given there are proposals floating around to force people to have private pensions and not rely solely on the state pension when they retire.

As for the savings, without this you're one blown engine/illness away from disaster. At a minimum you should be able to survive on your savings for a period of no less than 3 months.

Your best bet is to just tighten the belt and budget plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

When working this out, I always go by the 50-20-30 method of budgeting..have a look here
    http://www.feedthepig.org/get-started/spending#.V5h4JxLdfoc
    It's well the worth the read and has worked my finances out very nicely over the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

I save €200 per month, and I have €150 going into my pension. Phone bill is €50, petrol is approx €50 per month.

Going on figures of take home pay 1956 you would be left with 856 take out 160.00 for food shopping and for elec n gas which you will be paying I think you will be okay it's tight but people are living on less.
    Do a budget on an excel sheet dont get rid of savings n pension they are good things to have especially the savings that can go towards a deposit for your own place one day.

I think if you were left with 500 for socializing or whatever you chose to spend it on your doing grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

That is depressing 200 left every month. Someone should tell people when they start in the college do four or five years come out get a job and you will scrape by pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

audi12 wrote: »
    You pay half on everything over 33,000 or thereabouts communist russia would be delighted with that. We will base it on being single not if and buts in relation to getting married.

Are you sure you're replying to the post you quoted?

On a side note, I've never rented before, so not familiar to scams. Would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

Saw a place on Daft, it's not through an agency. Emailed the landlord directly. She emailed back a very long email saying how her father died recently and she has flown back to Ireland to rent out his apartment. She asked me to view it yesterday evening, only giving me one hours notice. I couldn't make it obviously, as it was too short notice.

She emailed me this evening and told me she has secured one of the rooms already, and gave me a bizarre foreign name of the person who has rented it, along with their email address and occupation. She said this person is moving in at the end of August. She then said she is in London for the next month so I won't be able to view it, but has asked me to let her know if I am still interest and she will send on forms etc to fill out. She asked for a copy of my passport, current address and a deposit of €650.

Surely this is a scam? How can anyone sign to a place without viewing it.

This place is absolutely stunning, in one of dublins top locations, and for €650 per month it seems too good to be true.

Obviously I am not going to send any passport photo or money, obviously.

Is this a scam? Have I any way of checking it out?

She gave me the email address of the girl that has taken the other room and she has suggested I email her to 'get to know her'. Her email address was bizarre, something along the lines of '12sk@hotmail.com'. Obviously I will not be doing this either.

<mod snip> I think the OP could manage the 650 pm rent if he is careful and budgets its very workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

On a side note, I've never rented before, so not familiar to scams. Would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

Saw a place on Daft, it's not through an agency. Emailed the landlord directly. She emailed back a very long email saying how her father died recently and she has flown back to Ireland to rent out his apartment. She asked me to view it yesterday evening, only giving me one hours notice. I couldn't make it obviously, as it was too short notice.

She emailed me this evening and told me she has secured one of the rooms already, and gave me a bizarre foreign name of the person who has rented it, along with their email address and occupation. She said this person is moving in at the end of August. She then said she is in London for the next month so I won't be able to view it, but has asked me to let her know if I am still interest and she will send on forms etc to fill out. She asked for a copy of my passport, current address and a deposit of €650.

This place is absolutely stunning, in one of dublins top locations, and for €650 per month it seems too good to be true.

She gave me the email address of the girl that has taken the other room and she has suggested I email her to 'get to know her'. Her email address was bizarre, something along the lines of '12sk@hotmail.com'. Obviously I will not be doing this either.

There was a story similar to this on Joe Duffy a few weeks ago. He rang live on the air to the "landlord" posing as the parent of a girl who was looking to rent it. He was asking questions in relation to the area like buses/dart and proximity to daughter's place of employment. It was obvious from the answers that it was a scam.

Report the ad (if you haven't already).

• Advertisement

Defo a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

This is 100% a scam I would report it immediately to Daft

How can I report something without evidence of it being a scam?

How can I report something without evidence of it being a scam?

It waddles and it quacks. It's a duck.

Report it.

It doesn't have to hold up in a court, all it has to do is flag to daft that they should investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Hi All

I would like to hear people's opinions on this.

Could someone on a salary of 28k afford rent of €650 per month (bills included)?

Genuine question. Realistic answers please.

Thanks
    HW

Your salary of 28K is 2333 a month.

Rent = 650 P/M
    Food = 200P/M
    Bills = 200P/M

That's 1050 a month, leaving you with 1280 a month. You should be able to put 500 into a savings account for a house, and keep the rest for entertainment.

Save more if you can obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Rent = 650 P/M
    Food = 200P/M
    Bills = 200P/M

That's 1050 a month, leaving you with 1280 a month. You should be able to put 500 into a savings account for a house, and keep the rest for entertainment.

@ hollister1 you make no account of tax/prsi/usc

With the pension contritubtion its about 1860 net leaving 1200 after rent

Rent = 650 P/M
    Food = 200P/M
    Bills = 200P/M

Is the OPs intention to save a deposit for a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

@ hollister1 you make no account of tax/prsi/usc

With the pension contritubtion its about 1860 net leaving 1200 after rent

OP never mentioned if the stated salary was gross or net.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP it's easily done I would say. I paid 700 rent and earned similar to you and found I was getting by perfectly fine, comfortably even. I was still able to pay all my bills, my car bills and a holiday. On top of saving monthly for a rainy day.

• Advertisement

I'll report it now.

Very disheartening. I was very excited.

Advertisement