Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous taxis in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Eathrin wrote: »
    Can't get my head around the people who cross without looking and then panic as traffic comes to a screeching halt in their wake.

The force of Mr Magoo is certainly strong in these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Freddio wrote: »
    It's not just taxis , Dublin buses and cars in general have a blatant disregard for cyclists. An awful lot of car drivers don't use their rear view mirrors and the situation isn't helped when George Hook gets on the radios in these cars and espouses Isis levels of hatred against cyclists.
    I've always found Dublin Bus to be alright in the vast majority of cases. Private buses like aircoach and (ironically given they actually sponsor the 1.5m message) Wexford Bus are much worse for close and punishment passes.

My nearest miss was a taxi, coming down from Mount Merrion Avenue on the N11 - taxi swung over from the outside lane and slammed on in the bus top near Booterstown Avenue (cycle lane goes through the bus stop there or did, it may have changed now actually it's a while since I went that route).

In general, taxi's are the worst for no consideration for other road users but particularly bikes - overtaking you 20m before they pull in, or have to wait at lights etc, parking in even grade separated cycle lanes forcing you back onto the road - again they're also the ones that give out most at cyclists not using them, when taxis stopped in them are one of the reasons people don't!

Regarding mirrors - it's the lack of use of wing mirrors which concerns me as a cyclist. For the majority of drivers the whole concept of mirrors, signal, manoeuvre seems alien. It's generally brake, start the turn, throw on the indicator...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    I think it's because you expect a professional driver to behave professionally, and this has stopped being the universal custom with taxi drivers.
    i think i mentioned it in the forum when i saw it a month or so ago, but i did see a taxi driver rather carefully manouevre his car so as to park between the bollards explicitly placed to prevent cars from blocking the cycle lane southbound on o'connell street, just outside the ulster bank.

not saying it's typical behaviour, but i was surprised the cyclists passing him at the time didn't thump the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can't get my head around the people who cross without looking and then panic as traffic comes to a screeching halt in their wake.

I got hit by a cyclist yesterday on Westmoreland St outside the bank there. Cyclist went through a red light and hit me on the pedestrian crossing when it was green for me to cross. Didn't even say sorry.

i think i mentioned it in the forum when i saw it a month or so ago, but i did see a taxi driver rather carefully manouevre his car so as to park between the bollards explicitly placed to prevent cars from blocking the cycle lane southbound on o'connell street, just outside the ulster bank.

not saying it's typical behaviour, but i was surprised the cyclists passing him at the time didn't thump the car.

It be wrong for the cyclists to thump the car as its wrong for anyone to thump a cyclist

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    For the majority of drivers the whole concept of mirrors, signal, manoeuvre seems alien. It's generally brake, start the turn, throw on the indicator...

I have friends who do this and regard themselves as very good drivers. So selfish and so unsafe.

If the government wants to have nag-scolding safety advertisements, this is one that would be worth doing. In fact, if they want to make a bit of money, a fine for not signalling in time would rake in millions.

The ones that used to particularly grind my gears (as it were) when I used to drive were the people who would sit in a straight-and-right-hand lane not signalling, so you'd think, aha, they're going straight, so I can sit in behind them and go straight too — then when the filter changed to straight ahead they'd go "Oh!" and turn their accursed indicator on, leaving the line of drivers behind them fuming.

As a cyclist, it's the ones that suddenly signal left just as they carve you up, skating inches from your front wheel as they race around the corner in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The bollards at the south end of O'Connell Street are gone. Well, they were when I went that way last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

It be wrong for the cyclists to thump the car as its wrong for anyone to thump a cyclist

Surely it would be as wrong to thump a car as it is it thump a bike?

Human beings are not objects. (I'm not sure if cars count as inanimate considering how much they move.)

A few times I've knocked on the window of a car at lights and said mildly, "That was awfully close back there, I'm sure you didn't realise, but…" The drivers may get defensive, but if you just smile and nod and say "Just letting you know. I'm sure you didn't mean to." and then disengage, they'll normally drive more carefully when they pull away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The bollards at the south end of O'Connell Street are gone. Well, they were when I went that way last Saturday.
    maybe for the luas works?
    i think the o'connell bridge junction is closed this weekend.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Surely it would be as wrong to thump a car as it is it thump a bike?

Human beings are not objects. (I'm not sure if they count as inanimate considering how much they move.)

But who would tump a bike in fairness.

maybe for the luas works?
    i think the o'connell bridge junction is closed this weekend.

Yeah from tomorrow night to early Tuesday morning

But who would tump a bike in fairness.
    the need for a cyclist to thump a car as a warning - which i have done - is *slightly* more common an occurence for a motorist to thump a bike as a warning.

Can't believe how color blind people are going thru red lights, includes every mode of transport from car, bus, bike, runner and walker

Can't believe how color blind people are going thru red lights, includes every mode of transport from car, bus, bike, runner and walker

Maybe we'd be better to do as Paris does, and have red pedestrian lights discretionary, but cars go through them at a slow pace, and stop for anyone crossing by foot or on bike?

Maybe we'd be better to do as Paris does, and have red pedestrian lights discretionary, but cars go through them at a slow pace, and stop for anyone crossing by foot or on bike?

Would you trust the people to behave?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Would you trust the people the people to behave?

I think my biggest worry is for pedestrians when electric cars become more common. Correct me if I'm wrong but they make far less noise on the road and whether they realise it or not, pedestrians often are relying on their hearing and no longer their sight when crossing the road, red man or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The force of Mr Magoo is certainly strong in these ones.

If I have a green light I shouldn't have to wait for pedestrians crossing on the red light. Obviously I'm not going to run through them but it's massively inconsiderate and needless to say that goes for cyclists and motorists the same.

Would you trust the people the people to behave?

I wouldn't expect Parisians to, but they do.

I wouldn't expect Parisians to, but they do.

I find the French are very good in relation to the road, well they are where we go on holidays.

Cars give way to cyclist on crossings, cyclists will form a signal line if cars coming behind them, cars will give them space. And cyclists and runners shares the bike lanes in a good manner. They all work together.

While here, its war:eek:

• Advertisement

I find the French are very good in relation to the road, well they are where we go on holidays.

Cars give way to cyclist on crossings, cyclists will form a signal line if cars coming behind them, cars will give them space. And cyclists and runners shares the bike lanes in a good manner. They all work together.

While here, its war:eek:

Historically, this has been true in country places, but less so in Paris. My son asked why there were no cyclists, and was told, with a cackle, "We got them all."

But the Velib' municipal bike scheme (and the children's version and the scooter version and now the electric car version) have changed people's attitudes a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

The two times I've been knocked off my bike have both involved taxis. First one just pulled in and forced me on to the kerb (over the handlebars and broken wrist) and the second one, the backseat passenger opened the door just as I was passing (broken hand bones).

Obviously I'm prejudiced (a little) but I agree that taxi drivers are often less considerate than other drivers. Only yesterday a taxi suddenly pulled in without indicating, forcing me to take evasive action and putting myself in higher risk of getting hit by someone else.

As other posters have remarked, I've never encountered an issue with Dublin Bus drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The worst of my experiences, however, are taxis that are stopping very rapidly and swerving towards the side of the road to pick up fares. I'm curious, apart from the obviously dangerous and negligent driving, can a taxi driver be at fault for stopping in certain areas (Double yellow lines, cycle lanes, too far from the kerb etc.)? There is extremely limited information on taxi regulation in the rsa rules of the road http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

I really love cycling and I take the rules and my safety seriously. It's a damn shame for anyone who feels too scared to cycle because of negligent road users.

Find taxi drivers fine 99% of the time. As they are always on the lookout for work I would just pay more attention to them so just alert for any quick moves. They are generally good with indicators etc.

The only time I have had an issue was when I was passing a taxi stopped in the cycle lane outside Leinster House dropping off a passenger, he decided to try pull out as I was right beside his door, he hit me, thankfully I stayed upright, I stopped to have words to which he accused me of kicking his car, even though I was clipped in when he pulled out I laughed, he said he would box my head in, then he made a lunge but was too short and had to lean down to release his belt:D By this time the Guard on duty appeared and he got a ticket.

I went from fuming at him to complete joy in about a minute.

I think my biggest worry is for pedestrians when electric cars become more common. Correct me if I'm wrong but they make far less noise on the road and whether they realise it or not, pedestrians often are relying on their hearing and no longer their sight when crossing the road, red man or not.
    darwin will soon sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

in my experience those cyclists giving out to drivers are usually the worst drivers themselves when it comes to cyclists. It's a personality thing as much as anything else. If you are a narky inconsiderate driver then you are likely a holier than thou narky cyclist when it comes to other drivers. We often don't tolerate in others what we expect others to tolerate in ourselves.

in my experience those cyclists giving out to drivers are usually the worst drivers themselves when it comes to cyclists.
    How many people do you know, whom you've seen both cycling and driving enough to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

How many people do you know, whom you've seen both cycling and driving enough to say that?

Between two cycling clubs I'm involved with? Enough. When I'm driving and I see a cyclist I give wide berth, I slow down, I check my mirrors. When I cycle, I don't cycle three abreast, we pull our group down to single file to allow traffic to pass, safer for them safer for us. I don't cut up the outside or inside of stationary traffic (unless there's a cycle lane), I don't pass a car turning left on the inside, even if there is a cycle lane, and in particular when I'm in the city. I stop at red lights, I am not a mobile pedestrian, I don't have the right to break the light. Stuff like that. But I have regular disagreements with other cyclists about their "right" to do that stuff and that the driver is always wrong and I find that those same people are the worst to travel to events with to due to their driving. Of course there are just sh*t drivers who never cycle or don't appreciate how precarious you feel when a truck skims you on back road, but that same person would be narky in all situations and contribute to a situation. Just my experience of people. Not all drivers are bad, not all cyclists are good. Some are both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

we pull our group down to single file to allow traffic to pass, safer for them safer for us..

Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..... When I cycle, I don't cycle three abreast, we pull our group down to single file to allow traffic to pass, safer for them safer for us......
    What makes you think that is safer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have to disagree with most on thread here, taxis are a particular plague. Its rare mr punto on his way home will dive two lanes left with zero notice but happens daily when some twat holds his hand out on a hump back bridge. IME a taxi that won't do anything for a fare is a rare rare breed.

Watched a poor lad come within inches of being creamed by a taxi that did just that to drop a customer then mounted the curb at 45*. Regret I didn't stop and call AGS at Rathfarnham village now as it was 100% without due care and attention if not dangerous driving. No way that man should hold a PSV.

Advertisement