Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous taxis in Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That doesn't really address the concern. Why should a single passenger be able to use bus lanes when a car full of people, making much more efficient use of the road cannot? There's no greater benefit being bestowed simply because the taxi passenger is using 'public' transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ballyvassman

If somebody is unlucky enough to come off because of one of these guys does anybody know if the emergency services can read your medical details via the Taggisar Stickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Taxis are not a private form of transport. They are public transport.. That's what the p in PSV stands for. As many bus lane's are under utilized it makes sense to allow taxis use them.
    They are available to the public but when hired are essentially 'private'. I don't see why someone who has the funds to hire a PSV for themselves (i.e. privately) should be able to access lanes designated for multi-seat public transport vehicles.

I don't understand your point about bus lanes being 'under-utilised'. It would defeat their purpose if they were in constant use by small PSV's and similar vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

That doesn't really address the concern. Why should a single passenger be able to use bus lanes when a car full of people, making much more efficient use of the road cannot? There's no greater benefit being bestowed simply because the taxi passenger is using 'public' transport.

You seem to be making the argument that multiple occupancy vehicles should be allowed use bus lanes. That's a whole different point.
    Like it or not, taxis are and always have been viewed as an integral part of the public transport system. Say for example a person is traveling from Cherry wood to East Point.. There is no bus service connection from the Green line to East Point so a passenger may use a taxi for the last part of the journey.

I don't understand your point about bus lanes being 'under-utilised'. It would defeat their purpose if they were in constant use by small PSV's and similar vehicles.

What's to understand ?? Take the bus lane along the r132 from the Airport to Santry. There is a bus scheduled on that bus corridor approx every five minutes. The bus lane can handle a lot more traffic than that so why not let taxis take up some of the slack ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, a properly functioning bus lane looks empty most of the time if you’re sitting right next to it in a stopped car.
    http://humantransit.org/2010/10/london-uk-conservatives-attack-m4-bus-lane.html

(Not sure whether it's a strong argument against letting taxis use bus lanes provided they don't start affecting bus schedules, but bus lanes carry huge numbers of people, despite appearing to be empty a lot of the time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'd also argue that buses and bicycles are far more environmentally friendly than private vehicles and taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If somebody is unlucky enough to come off because of one of these guys does anybody know if the emergency services can read your medical details via the Taggisar Stickers?

Hadn't heard of these – what a great idea! Can you read them with a phone? Can any old passer-by satisfy his curiosity about your asthma and epilepsy, or only someone entitled to?

Maybe ask over on the Emergency Services forum (and come back and tell us?)

Taxis: I suppose the reason they can use bus lanes is that they take some of the strain off the buses. This worked well when taxis were relatively few and strictly licensed, but now that there are so many, bus lanes are often clogged with them, often with a single driver looking for work and driving around and around town.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I never really understood why an out of service bus or an empty bus or minibus gets to use the bus lane.

Maybe because they need to get to a starting point before picking people up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is no bus service connection from the Green line to East Point so a passenger may use a taxi for the last part of the journey.
    bus to fairview park, then maybe ten minutes walk.
    or walk from clontarf dart station. i used to do it myself, was working in oracle years ago.

anyway, let's say there wasn't that option. i would regard as weak any argument that taxis should be allowed in bus lanes, because they fill holes in the public transport system.

it's just kinda odd that i could choose to drive into town, or go out on the road and hail a taxi, and make the same journey, but because i've paid someone else to do the driving, i get to use the bus lanes.

your typical taxi has a maximum capacity of four passengers, and takes up half the length of the lane that a bus does. so a bus with eight passengers on it would match the most efficient use taxis could typically make of a bus lane. it's not a big issue in the suburbs, but in the city centre, especially with the explosion in the number of taxis, i suspect it is having a measurable impact on the efficiency of the bus service.

• Advertisement

it's just kinda odd that i could choose to drive into town, or go out on the road and hail a taxi, and make the same journey, but because i've paid someone else to do the driving, i get to use the bus lanes.

I wonder has anyone made a study of how many passengers are carried on average by taxis (including time spent cruising for fares).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Totally agree - why should someone who has decided to utilise a private form of transport be permitted to travel on lanes primarily designated for public transport?

Are you including cyclists in that ?

fifth image down.

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/pictures-do-cars-take-too-much-space-city-streets-483

that's a genius idea from the cyclists in latvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Totally agree - why should someone who has decided to utilise a private form of transport be permitted to travel on lanes primarily designated for public transport?

:rolleyes: they are public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Deedsie wrote: »
    I never really understood why an out of service bus or an empty bus or minibus gets to use the bus lane.

Or an empty Taxi...

empty taxis are not allowed use bus lanes, unless they're on the way to pick up a prearranged fare. how many do use the bus lanes when empty and not on the way to pick up a booking is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

empty taxis are not allowed use bus lanes, unless they're on the way to pick up a prearranged fare. how many do use the bus lanes when empty and not on the way to pick up a booking is anyone's guess.

Wrong, they can also use them if "plying for hire", i.e. looking for a fare that might try to flag them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The nuts and bolts of it is they use them empty. The law should be changed to say "may use a bus lane "only" when conveying a passenger and at no other time"

Of course, the policing of that will never happen.

According to the NTA taxis are allowed use bus lanes in the course of their business. This includes carrying pax, on the way to a job or "plying for hire" . They're not allowed use lanes for personal use but that's hard to police.

Urban legend — or perhaps reality — is that taxi drivers keep an envelope in the glove compartment with an 'address' that they're supposedly going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Chuchote wrote: »
    Urban legend — or perhaps reality — is that taxi drivers keep an envelope in the glove compartment with an 'address' that they're supposedly going to.

They're not allowed to use them to carry only goods and not passengers, so unless that is claimed to be the address of a pre-booked fare that happened to be noted on an envelope, having it there is no good to them.

cython wrote: »
    They're not allowed to use them to carry only goods and not passengers, so unless that is claimed to be the address of a pre-booked fare that happened to be noted on an envelope, having it there is no good to them.

Yeah, that's what it's supposed to be, in the urban legend.

Advertisement