Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house in Donnycarney, Dublin 9

Options
  • 26-07-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all, I am looking to rent a 2 bed house in Donnycarney - specifically Collins Avenue West. I am not familiar with Ireland at all, and I would like your opinions on how good the area is. I've used google street view to look at the area surrounding the particular house I have my eye on and I quite like it. I would just like to know what people familiar with the area think of it - how safe it is, transport etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

I´ve been living there for 4 years. Not in Donnycarney but in Beaumont, 5 minutes away from Donnycarney church.

Are you sure that is Collins avenue west? Donnycarney is the east, the west could be the west of Beaumont or Whitehall.

If you meant Collins Avenue East (close to the DART station or the church), that area is a nice place to live. Is safe and quiet as a small town (actually, if you´re come from a big city you could miss some human noise), your biggest problem would be that you´d need to walk 10-20 minutes to the closest supermarket. Transport is excellent with several bus lines and the DART station in Killester.

I can´t help you with the west, is an area almost unknown for me. I´d say that you could check the distance to Santry (probably you may need to go there for shopping as the commercial area is there) and be aware that some locals think that Ballymun can be rough (I´ve never been there, so I couldn´t say anything about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

belfe wrote: »
    I´ve been living there for 4 years. Not in Donnycarney but in Beaumont, 5 minutes away from Donnycarney church.

Are you sure that is Collins avenue west? Donnycarney is the east, the west could be the west of Beaumont or Whitehall.

... and be aware that some locals think that Ballymun can be rough ...[\QUOTE]

Collins Ave West runs from the Malahide Road to Swords Road at Whitehall. The area to the left of Collins Ave West as far as Belton Park Road is Donnycarney. Locals call this area Donnycarney West and the area on Collins Ave East Donnycarney North (or the Clans as the road names start with Clan).

Jenny the area you are looking at is a fine area. It would be a settled area with a mixture of mature residents and families. In a couple of minutes walk to the Malahide Road, you can get a bus to the city centre. It is served by a number of different routes so buses are frequent and it take approx 20 minutes to the city centre at rush hour. The area is also close to the Dart (light rail system), 15/20 minute walk to either Killester or Clontarf stations. Clontarf is nearby which has a number of nice restaurants and cafes.

Oh and Donnycarney is nowhere near Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

belfe wrote: »

... and be aware that some locals think that Ballymun can be rough ...[\QUOTE]

Collins Ave West runs from the Malahide Road to Swords Road at Whitehall. The area to the left of Collins Ave West as far as Belton Park Road is Donnycarney. Locals call this area Donnycarney West and the area on Collins Ave East Donnycarney North (or the Clans as the road names start with Clan).

Jenny the area you are looking at is a fine area. It would be a settled area with a mixture of mature residents and families. In a couple of minutes walk to the Malahide Road, you can get a bus to the city centre. It is served by a number of different routes so buses are frequent and it take approx 20 minutes to the city centre at rush hour. The area is also close to the Dart (light rail system), 15/20 minute walk to either Killester or Clontarf stations. Clontarf is nearby which has a number of nice restaurants and cafes.

Oh and Donnycarney is nowhere near Ballymun.

Probably the confusion has been between "Donnycarney west", that is "Collins Avenue East" or just "Collins Avenue" and "Collins Avenue West", that is far away from Donnycarney. I can see in the map that, in the DCU area, this avenue is named "Collins Avenue Ext"

You´re describing "Donnycarney west", then I agree with all your post. I´d say that for going to Clontarf you´d need a bit more of 15-20 minutes, I´d put it in 20-25, Killester station would be much closer.

To the city centre, if you like to walk, I´d recommend you Killester in rush hour instead of a bus. You may find that the buses are crowded and you can see them passing without stopping for 10 minutes until it stops one with a bit of space. Apart of it, DART is in the city centre in 10 minutes.

Advertisement