Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card and Irish rail failures

Options
  • 26-07-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Im in a bit of a dilemma here. I got fined for not paying fare in train when I topped up and tagged on before getting into train. I topped up leap card with 5e before getting on train. The journey itself costs 2.80. Tagged on as usual and went about my business. Inspector came on and done me for fare evasion. He took my leap card off me and issued me with 100e fine. I have all evidence showing my account was topped up. And cctv should show me tagging on...I appealed it and they rejected it saying "zero tolerance on fare evasion". How is this correct?

I'm now caught in position of whether to pay 100e fine or go to court and risk bigger fine of 1000e and conviction.

Has anybody else heard of this happening? I'm stuck in limbo as deadline to pay fine is tonight. If I pay fine, can this be overturned and could I get my money back? I know I'm in the right but can't take a chance at same time.

Also it's disgraceful how there is no travel ombudsman. Irish rail issue fines and have last say. Talk about a fair system....yea right!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There is an appeals process. Details should be on the slip you were handed with the fine. The inspector isn't permitted to use any special circumstances to not issue a fine.

Deadline to pay the fine tonight? I thought it had to be paid in person? Would there still be someone to receive your payment of a fine at this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Bit of a misleading thread title there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Melh14 wrote: »
    Im in a bit of a dilemma here. I got fined for not paying fare in train when I topped up and tagged on before getting into train. I topped up leap card with 5e before getting on train. The journey itself costs 2.80. Tagged on as usual and went about my business. Inspector came on and done me for fare evasion. He took my leap card off me and issued me with 100e fine. I have all evidence showing my account was topped up. And cctv should show me tagging on...I appealed it and they rejected it saying "zero tolerance on fare evasion". How is this correct?

I'm now caught in position of whether to pay 100e fine or go to court and risk bigger fine of 1000e and conviction.

Has anybody else heard of this happening? I'm stuck in limbo as deadline to pay fine is tonight. If I pay fine, can this be overturned and could I get my money back? I know I'm in the right but can't take a chance at same time.

Also it's disgraceful how there is no travel ombudsman. Irish rail issue fines and have last say. Talk about a fair system....yea right!!

Judge has last say but you would want to be sure of the facts being in your favour before going down that route.

Nothing you posted has explained why you were issued with a fine, if I had to guess it was because you didn't tag on correctly or the tag on was not accepted because of low balance. I'm guessing the online account shows the top-up but no tag on. What balance is given after the top-up?

It is hard to advise anything other than pay the fine, looking for advice when the deadline is today is pretty useless also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It is up to each passenger to look at the machine and see it has actually tagged on. There is an audible sound and there is also a display to show outcome of tagging.

Yes there may be CCTV but you could be holding your wallet or another card up to it.

Many many people chance not paying or try all sorts of tricks to save money so they really have to come down hard as huge revenue loses are the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Melh14 wrote: »

What happened in the end? Are you in prison now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement