Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how easily did your GP give you anti-nausea meds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I tried to get the consultant, 2 or 3 gp's and a pharmacist to look into it for me and got nowhere. I was so ill and vulnerable that I pushed as hard as I was capable of and they wouldn't listen

Christ that's awful treatment :(
    Even if you'd been given a realistic answer as to why they thought it unsuitable, but that's just bad form.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am delighted for you :) So glad that you were listened to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Christ that's awful treatment :(
    Even if you'd been given a realistic answer as to why they thought it unsuitable, but that's just bad form.

Ya it's ****e. Just feel like it's so unfair as I would have access to better medical care if I was based anywhere else. They wouldn't give me anything until 13 weeks. And I was very sick - multiple admissions for fluids, puking 20 times a day, puking blood, losing weight, not functioning at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sciencemaster

Hi, you poor thing, nothing worse than the nausea, have you tried any homeopathic medicines for the nausea, very safe to use during pregnancy and very effective. If you go to a decent health food shop or some pharmacies, they keep them, if you are in Dublin, Down to Earth will be able to help you find the one suitable for you. If its really bad consider getting a consultation from a homeopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sciencemaster... homeopathy... Does not compute :pac:

How the hell do you expect water to help someone's severe nausea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hi, you poor thing, nothing worse than the nausea, have you tried any homeopathic medicines for the nausea, very safe to use during pregnancy and very effective. If you go to a decent health food shop or some pharmacies, they keep them, if you are in Dublin, Down to Earth will be able to help you find the one suitable for you. If its really bad consider getting a consultation from a homeopath.

Homeopathic "remedies" are at best useless and at worst completely unregulated. Steer well clear from them, OP.

A. its not water!!.
    B. Homeopathic medicines do work and are used world wide.
    C. What right do you have to criticise or question what name I choose for ID purposes on this forum. You know nothing about me or my credentials, nor do i know that of anyone else on this forum. I made a comment to help someone, if anyone wants more info they can private message me.

A. its not water!!.
    C. What right do you have to criticise or question what name I choose for ID purposes on this forum. You know nothing about me or my credentials, nor do i know that of anyone else on this forum. I made a comment to help someone, if anyone wants more info they can private message me.
    If 'homeopathic medicines' worked they'd be called 'medicine'. It is a completely made-up pseudoscience without any evidence at all.

Please post your peer-reviewed scienfitic data on how 'homeopathic medicines' work. Are you someone who 'practices' as a homeopath by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A. its not water!!.
    C. What right do you have to criticise or question what name I choose for ID purposes on this forum.

A homeopathic solution of 6c potency contains 1 molecule of the solute to 10^12 molecules of water. Purified water for laboratory purposes contains more impurities than that. :rolleyes:

I have every right to find it funny when people choose a name implying scientific knowledge and then come out with the most blatantly unscientific rubbish.

it all comes down to opinion, preference, etc. personally i would use at least 30c. I am not going to get into a debate on this forum. There are plenty of sites where you can get good solid scientific studies as to the benefits and use of homeopathy for both animals and people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

it all comes down to opinion
    With all due respect, no it doesn't. It comes down to fact and what is scientifically proven to work and, regardless of what you say, homeopathy is shown time after time after time to be absolute hokum.

it all comes down to opinion, preference, etc. personally i would use at least 30c. I am not going to get into a debate on this forum. There are plenty of sites where you can get good solid scientific studies as to the benefits and use of homeopathy for both animals and people.

Opinion is fine, but not if you're peddling "homeopathic medicine". I want facts and considered opinions with actual evidence when I'm looking for medicine.

Can you link to independent peer reviewed studies on those sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Let's drop the homeopathy discussion and get back on topic please. The op wanted actual medicines from her doctors. That's what the thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Brioscai

If OP is in one of the three Dublin maternity hospitals, they all prescribe Cariban. Seems safer than Stemetil, Buccastem, Zofran/Ondansetron. They prescribe for Hyperemesis gravidarum, not nausea. If suffering from nausea without vomiting or significant weight loss, try eating before rising from bed (Crackers/oatcakes/bananas), don't eat and drink together; food 30mins before liquids, preggo pops may help, frozen drinks may help, sucking on glacier fruit type sweets may help, removing pregnancy multivitamins that are hard on stomach (instead just keep to folate) or iron, sea sickness accupuncture wrist bands might work, keeping blood sugars consistent through low GI diet may help.

Advertisement