Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting (new type?) kit

Options
  • 26-07-2016 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've never brewed before, but what's your opinion on this thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/965729099/the-catalyst-beer-fermentation-made-easy

I've been put off in the past because of lack of storage/work space - something that this seems to address. But I also don't know enough to properly critique it. What do you see as the main downsides or limitations?

The price tag is the obvious one and with the $100 shipping on top, it's probably not something I'd buy. But I'm interested in the forums opinion on it.

Also, has it been tried before? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

HemmingSay wrote: »
    but what's your opinion on this thing?
    Like every single "homebrewing made simple" solution it costs more and is less flexible than doing things the normal way.
    I've been put off in the past because of lack of storage/work space - something that this seems to address.
    I don't see how. You brew on a stove and ferment in a container that has to stand somewhere. A standard homebrew fermenting vessel has the same or less space requirements.
    Also, has it been tried before?
    The Homebrew Company sells this, which looks like basically the same thing. In both cases I can see why a brewer might want a piece of kit like this, but I wouldn't regard it as beginner equipment. Learn how to brew first, then upgrade to the fancy tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

Yeah, I get what you're saying - I would definitely be better off getting in cheap and seeing if I enjoy brewing. I guess I'm just a sucker for the shiny gadgets and/or well pitched kickstarter videos.

Advertisement