Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick rentals NOT on daft?

• 26-07-2016 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

How would I go about finding a place in or around limerick that isn't on Daft.ie? There must be some places out there that aren't listed on daft. Our budget isnt great, and having myself and my partner just finished college (as mature students, 28&30), we are looking to rent together. I have lived in student accommodation (3 years full time resident through summers and all) and my partner is house sharing. We want a nice little apartment/house of our own. Is it a case of word-of-mouth for some people? Would we go into a letting agent? budget is low 700-750. The selection on daft isn't great for what we want, even considering our low budget (considering the avg 4-5 years ago was 600 for a nice place). :( anybody any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Nightmare to rent as a couple. Everywhere says No Couples!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

U1D2C3 wrote: »
    How would I go about finding a place in or around limerick that isn't on Daft.ie? There must be some places out there that aren't listed on daft. Our budget isnt great, and having myself and my partner just finished college (as mature students, 28&30), we are looking to rent together. I have lived in student accommodation (3 years full time resident through summers and all) and my partner is house sharing. We want a nice little apartment/house of our own. Is it a case of word-of-mouth for some people? Would we go into a letting agent? budget is low 700-750. The selection on daft isn't great for what we want, even considering our low budget (considering the avg 4-5 years ago was 600 for a nice place). :( anybody any advice?

I know 4 girls all working professionals looking for a place in Limerick also and they are finding it very difficult to find anything lower than 1200-1500. With extra students now as well there is a huge shortage of accommodation. Worth calling into the letting agents anyway.. some people mightn't want students so may hold back on advertising on Daft. Worth a shot anyway! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Check the Limerick post classifieds online, the paper itself is out on a Thursday. It's very tough out there to find a place and wishing you all the best finding a place <3

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭U1D2C3

Thanks for responses everyone. Id say itll be even harder to find a place without a job when people with jobs can't even find a place. Things were so much easier about 4 years ago. I had no trouble ever finding an apartment to rent. I only received my results for my degree about 6 weejs ago and finding a job takes a loooong time, had very few responses and only one interview that I havent heard back from yet. My accommodation want me (and all other non students) out in two weeks, they are preparing for the big load of new students coming in, they have to paint, get things fixed etc, and I see where they are coming from but at the same time it means people in my situation havent a chance really. Has anyone with no job have any trouble finding a place to rent recently? Im not on rent allowance, im a fairly respectable person, I do want to work as soon as someone will hire me. I dont take the piss, but landlords dont seem to see past social welfare. They hear it and try get u away as quickly as possible. Its just so hard, im only lucky I dont have a child or anyone depending on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I don't mean to be rude about this but how are you going to pay your rent if you are not working.

That's the first question a land lord is going to ask himself.

• Advertisement

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude about this but how are you going to pay your rent if you are not working.

That's the first question a land lord is going to ask himself.

Unfortunately thats the divide between people on social welfare and people with jobs. And i'd understand it from both points of view but its just horrible when youre the one (an honest person who wants to work very much) on the dole.

Its doable on social welfare but no one wants to take someone on the dole. As I was saying already, i dont take the piss, but it's hard for someone to see past the lable of the dole and understandably so (to an extent).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Keep an eye out in shops, post offices etc as some landlords advertise this way. I found my current house through an ad in the local shop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

U1D2C3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately thats the divide between people on social welfare and people with jobs. And i'd understand it from both points of view but its just horrible when youre the one (an honest person who wants to work very much) on the dole.

Its doable on social welfare but no one wants to take someone on the dole. As I was saying already, i dont take the piss, but it's hard for someone to see past the lable of the dole and understandably so (to an extent).

Is it not the case that welfare recipients who apply for rent assistance will only qualify having rented privately for the previous two years. Given that the rates payable have been reduced I would contend that's it's far more difficult for an unemployed or disabled person to find affordable accommodation. For example, a single person with no dependents Is no longer able to rent a dwelling costing more than 375 euro per month without falling outside the qualification limit.The days of bedsits are no more meaning there's nothing available currently for less than 500. This situation is contributing to the record levels of homelessness we are currently experiencing.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Is it not the case that welfare recipients who apply for rent assistance will only qualify having rented privately for the previous two years. Given that the rates payable have been reduced I would contend that's it's far more difficult for an unemployed or disabled person to find affordable accommodation. For example, a single person with no dependents Is no longer able to rent a dwelling costing more than 375 euro per month without falling outside the qualification limit.The days of bedsits are no more meaning there's nothing available currently for less than 500. This situation is contributing to the record levels of homelessness we are currently experiencing.

Yes. Exactly. Thank you. I'm fairly lucky in my life, middle class, good family, just finished getting a degree. And if it's this hard for someone like me, it's just painful to imagine what it's like for people who isn't as lucky as I am. I'm not going to even try apply for rent allowance. It seems like such a lengthy process that theres no point. I am hoping I have a job before it becomes so bad. The system is so backwards !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Check the classifieds in The Post newspaper - that's where we found our apartment listed. The Limerick Leader does similar ad's I think too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement